STI shifting and Sturmey Archer 3 speed?

Andrew

Guest
I'm thinking about building up an old road frame with just a three speed hub. But I find those
Sturmey Archer trigger shift levers to be rather ponderous and unsightly. Anyone have any experience
shifting an SA three speed with something else? I have down-tube shifters (friction and index),
bar-cons, Grip shift, STI and Rapid Fire all at my disposal. Any suggestions? Thanks. Andrew

Andrew wrote:
> I'm thinking about building up an old road frame with just a three speed hub. But I find those
> Sturmey Archer trigger shift levers to be rather ponderous and unsightly. Anyone have any
> experience shifting an SA three speed with something else? I have down-tube shifters (friction
> and index), bar-cons, Grip shift, STI and Rapid Fire all at my disposal. Any suggestions?
> Thanks. Andrew

I don't know if they are still available but Sturmey Archer did have a three speed twist grip
shifter at one point.

I have read on the web of the modification of an index wheel to allow shifting of a hub gear, but
can't remember where.

Friction Shifting can be a painfull experience if you hit neutral.

The top tube shifter from an old muscle bike might be a good conversation piece. ;)

Marcus