STI W/ Dropbars to Aero W/ Bar End Shifters and Brake Levers

mrscottyboy

Oct 27, 2005
I'm wanting to switch from my STI shifters to bar end shifters and brake levers on my road bike. I plan to swap my drop bars for bullhorns and use my aerobars on the new bullhorns. My question is, when I install bar end shifters and bar end brake levers, will I be able to use my current cables or will I have to install all new cables?

mrscottyboy said:
I'm wanting to switch from my STI shifters to bar end shifters and brake levers on my road bike. I plan to swap my drop bars for bullhorns and use my aerobars on the new bullhorns. My question is, when I install bar end shifters and bar end brake levers, will I be able to use my current cables or will I have to install all new cables?

You will likely need new shift cables/housing depending on the length of your aerobars as the STI ones may be too short to reach the ends of the bars. You may need also new brake cables as the head of the cable that fits into the aerobar brake levers may be different than that required for the STI lever. If the brake levers use a standard round barrel shaped head, you should be OK with the old cables then. The brake housings should be long enough to reach the end of the bull horns.

If you are removing the lot, Bars, STIs, Tape, etc, then leave the old bars as a complete assembly. Just release all 4 cables at the ends and pull them back.

Some shifters/levers come with new cables as a kit, some don't, however new cables are very cheap and easier to run and feed through than old ones.

If you decide ro refit the old bars, its much easier if the assembly is there as a whole.