Stiches anyone?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by marconfoot, Jan 27, 2009.

1. marconfoot

marconfoot New Member

Hi,

It's winter here, so I was riding a spinning bike in my house. I finished, changed and the next thing you know I'm lying on the floor bleeding form my head and eye. Looks like I just passed out. Here is some initial conditions:
    No food for 12 hours.
    No liquids during ride.
    Lots of sweat.
    No cool down.
    Felt a bit nauseous at finish.

A little sugary beverage and 6 stiches/8 staples later and I was back to normal.

CAT scan normal, heart enzymes/blood test normal, EKG normal. 44 yrs old. Swim, bike, run XC ski. I've really upped my regimen in the last 2 months.

I know I violated just about every rule above, but I'm a bit wigged out and nervous about going at it again. Anyone had similar events or comments? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Marc.

Tags:

2. Piotr

Piotr New Member

:confused: What were you trying to accomplish by not eating, drinking?! Nervous about going at what again? Sensible training or more self-immolation? Sounds to me like you know where you went wrong, so don't do it again and you should be fine.

FWIW, congratulations, you're the first person I ever heard of bonking during an indoor ride. :)

3. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

Looks like you nailed the "don't do" list, above. :)

I wouldn't be nervous about resuming training under more sensible conditions.

4. marconfoot

marconfoot New Member

Mea culpa.

No food: It was 5:30 am and I don't usually ride at this hour and I don't like riding with a full belly (or mornings for that matter)

No water: I never had a problem with only 1 hour of riding.

No cool down: Was in a rush to get going.

Put them all together and it spells Emergency room

I never thought I would need a helmet for indoor riding!

Also, your congratulations warm me about as much as an announcement that I've been nominated for a Darwin award. (smiley face here)

5. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Maybe you could consider eating a little something just before you go to bed.... But, I do see a container of energy drink or a bunch of bananas appearing in your near future.

I'm sorry but I don't think you quite warrant a Darwin nomination just yet. Now, if you had a fan mounted on the trainer to provide a windload AND you'd taken the cover off it and ensured that said fan was in the area to be fallen on then we might be talking. You can just read the title now "Man falls off bike trainer, lands on neck. Flywheel rips carotid artery out. Rats eat body in basement." SAW VI - The Quickening.

6. Pendejo

Pendejo Member

If I ever got out of bed at 5:30 in the morning I'm sure I would faint, too.

7. Yojimbo_

Yojimbo_ Active Member

I've fainted before, but not like that.

I have a low pulse rate and I'm hypoglycemic. I was lying down watching tv, fell asleep, not much to eat, woke up, climbed the stairs for a whiz, finished, then collapsed.

You might want to come up with a reasonable explanation for why you collapsed when you did, else maybe a visit to the doctor is in order.

8. OoAmericanGirl

OoAmericanGirl New Member

If it makes you feel any better, I failed to put my bike securely in the trainer and it came out mid spinnerval vid, I fell, and got banged up pretty bad on the tile floor. The worst part was calling out of work the next day and saying that I had an accident on my bike because it was mid week, had been raining so when people asked if I was out in the rain I sadly said no..."I did it inside"

I still feel like an idiot and I have a nice scratch on my seat stays to remind me to properly secure my bike XD.

9. Bailsibub

Bailsibub New Member

This reminds me of a rider from back home a few years ago. He trained at night in the garage after his family went to sleep. Evidently, he fell off the rollers and had a fatal blow to the head. No one heard it, and they didn't find him until the next morning. Really sad story. But it highlights how dangerous a 'little fall' can actually be.

10. grahamspringett

grahamspringett New Member

I'm out meeting the guys at 5.30am. It's 'only' 28 or so degrees C at that time in the morning. Any later and I'd fry alive - topping 41 degrees here this week.

I have a pot of apple puree for 'breakfast', only takes a minute or so to slurp down and is easy to digest, plus I have energy drinks and gels handy. Sometimes I have a 'sport' drink with caffeine and guarana. Kapow!

11. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

It could have been a lot worse, I mean if you had progressed in a different order. :D