Sticker glue/grease removal??

Hell and High Water

Guest
I peeled off a sticker on my frame right under the chain. It was kind
of beat up by the chain.

I guess some of the glue was still on the frame there, because I looked
at it the other day and there seems to be a bunch of dirt/grease/etc.
stuck there.

Any suggestions to remove the glue without damaging the paint?

Frame is steel.

TIA,

-Bob

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:10:49 -0500, Hell and High Water
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I peeled off a sticker on my frame right under the chain. It was kind
>of beat up by the chain.
>
>I guess some of the glue was still on the frame there, because I looked
>at it the other day and there seems to be a bunch of dirt/grease/etc.
>stuck there.
>
>Any suggestions to remove the glue without damaging the paint?
>
>Frame is steel.
>

>TIA,
>
>-Bob

You could try rubbing alcohol or Goof Off:

http://www.valspar.com/val/resident/goof-off.jsp

You should put some atomotive polish on that area and then a wax after
your done. Might as well do the whole bike while your at it.

Hell and High Water wrote:
> I peeled off a sticker on my frame right under the chain. It was kind
> of beat up by the chain.
>
> I guess some of the glue was still on the frame there, because I looked
> at it the other day and there seems to be a bunch of dirt/grease/etc.
> stuck there.
>
> Any suggestions to remove the glue without damaging the paint?
>
> Frame is steel.
>

> TIA,
>
> -Bob

Stickers in my experience use a glue that is soluble in alcohol. Rubbing
alcohol (Isopropyl) will work or you can buy some Bacardi 151. Nail
polish remover (Acetone) will take off both the glue and most likely the
paint. Auto brake fluid will also take off both. If you plan on removing
more stickers you could go to the liquor store and buy some Everclear
192 proof. Just don't try taking a sip if you plan on being functional
that day.
Bill Baka

In article <[email protected]>,
Hell and High Water <[email protected]> wrote:

> Any suggestions to remove the glue without damaging the paint?

you may try using a hair dryer. when warm the glue should be goopy and
removable with a soft towel, or paper tissue or whatever wet with a
little of rubbing alcohol.

--
??? USA, THE MOST TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED PLUTOCRACY ???

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:32:32 GMT, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hell and High Water wrote:
>> I peeled off a sticker on my frame right under the chain. It was kind
>> of beat up by the chain.
>>
>> I guess some of the glue was still on the frame there, because I looked
>> at it the other day and there seems to be a bunch of dirt/grease/etc.
>> stuck there.
>>
>> Any suggestions to remove the glue without damaging the paint?
>>
>> Frame is steel.
>>

>> TIA,
>>
>> -Bob
>>

>Stickers in my experience use a glue that is soluble in alcohol. Rubbing
>alcohol (Isopropyl) will work

Moron, is there an echo in here?

>or you can buy some Bacardi 151.

>Nail polish remover (Acetone) will take off both the glue and most
>likely the paint. Auto brake fluid will also take off both.

That's a /brilliant/ suggestion.

> If you plan on removing
>more stickers you could go to the liquor store and buy some Everclear
>192 proof. Just don't try taking a sip if you plan on being functional
>that day.
>Bill Baka

Idiot. Grain alcohol is banned in many states.

Hell and High Water wrote:
> I peeled off a sticker on my frame right under the chain. It was kind
> of beat up by the chain.
>
> I guess some of the glue was still on the frame there, because I looked
> at it the other day and there seems to be a bunch of dirt/grease/etc.
> stuck there.
>
> Any suggestions to remove the glue without damaging the paint?
>
> Frame is steel.
>

> TIA,
>
> -Bob

I use a citrus based product called Goo Gone for things like that. It
is pretty good for getting adhesive residue off of other surfaces. I
get it at the hardware store.

If you are close to a well stocked art supply house, get a can of
BESTINE. It is usually billed as a rubber cement thinner/reducer, but
works really well with most rubber based glues. The nice part is that
it does not wreck paint or ink. A friend who is a comic book /
magazine collector/dealer turned me on to this stuff. The collectors
use it to remove stickers or paste ons without harming the paper or
printed material. A small can (1pt if memory serves) will last a long
time. One of my favorite solvents around the house. Works wonders on
old bar tape also.

//jtd//

R Brickston wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:32:32 GMT, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Hell and High Water wrote:
>>> I peeled off a sticker on my frame right under the chain. It was kind
>>> of beat up by the chain.
>>>
>>> I guess some of the glue was still on the frame there, because I looked
>>> at it the other day and there seems to be a bunch of dirt/grease/etc.
>>> stuck there.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions to remove the glue without damaging the paint?
>>>
>>> Frame is steel.
>>>

>>> TIA,
>>>
>>> -Bob
>>>

>> Stickers in my experience use a glue that is soluble in alcohol. Rubbing
>> alcohol (Isopropyl) will work

> Moron, is there an echo in here?

I didn't receive the other post before I posted.

>> or you can buy some Bacardi 151.

>> Nail polish remover (Acetone) will take off both the glue and most
>> likely the paint. Auto brake fluid will also take off both.

> That's a /brilliant/ suggestion.

I mentioned it to say "Avoid those because they do remove paint.".

>> If you plan on removing
>> more stickers you could go to the liquor store and buy some Everclear
>> 192 proof. Just don't try taking a sip if you plan on being functional
>> that day.
>> Bill Baka

> Idiot. Grain alcohol is banned in many states.

DUH!
I know that, but the question was not state specific.

If you want to try to pick on me, at least do it with some intelligence.

My dad lived in Arkansas and if he wanted a 6 pack of beer he had to
drive to the next county. Wet, dry, etc. The good old boy sheriffs sat
at the county line and stopped everybody and checked their trunks for
anything over a 6 pack, which was then called smuggling.
****,
You are stupid.
Bill Baka

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 19:21:32 GMT, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:

>R Brickston wrote:

>>> Stickers in my experience use a glue that is soluble in alcohol. Rubbing
>>> alcohol (Isopropyl) will work

>> Moron, is there an echo in here?

>I didn't receive the other post before I posted.
>>
>>> or you can buy some Bacardi 151.

>>> Nail polish remover (Acetone) will take off both the glue and most
>>> likely the paint. Auto brake fluid will also take off both.

>> That's a /brilliant/ suggestion.

>I mentioned it to say "Avoid those because they do remove paint.".
>>
>>> If you plan on removing
>>> more stickers you could go to the liquor store and buy some Everclear
>>> 192 proof. Just don't try taking a sip if you plan on being functional
>>> that day.
>>> Bill Baka

>> Idiot. Grain alcohol is banned in many states.

>DUH!
>I know that, but the question was not state specific.
>
>If you want to try to pick on me, at least do it with some intelligence.
>
>My dad lived in Arkansas and if he wanted a 6 pack of beer he had to
>drive to the next county. Wet, dry, etc. The good old boy sheriffs sat
>at the county line and stopped everybody and checked their trunks for
>anything over a 6 pack, which was then called smuggling.
>****,
>You are stupid.
>Bill Baka

Eventually, this ng will get the entire history of Planet Baka's sole
resident. What, no 100 word essay on what year and model car Daddy
drove?

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I peeled off a sticker on my frame right under the chain. It was kind
>of beat up by the chain.
>
>I guess some of the glue was still on the frame there, because I looked
>at it the other day and there seems to be a bunch of dirt/grease/etc.
>stuck there.
>
>Any suggestions to remove the glue without damaging the paint?

Most sticker glue is easily removed with plain old vegetable oil.
Won't harm the paint either.

R Brickston wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 19:21:32 GMT, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> My dad lived in Arkansas and if he wanted a 6 pack of beer he had to
>> drive to the next county. Wet, dry, etc. The good old boy sheriffs sat
>> at the county line and stopped everybody and checked their trunks for
>> anything over a 6 pack, which was then called smuggling.
>> ****,
>> You are stupid.
>> Bill Baka

> Eventually, this ng will get the entire history of Planet Baka's sole
> resident. What, no 100 word essay on what year and model car Daddy
> drove?

Fool,
He had 3. As for the sheriffs down there they just confiscated the extra
and never arrested anybody. They also never had to buy their own booze
and most were serious drunks.
Planet Earth, Clarksville, Arkansas, home of Clinton.
Bill Baka

catzz66 wrote:
> I use a citrus based product called Goo Gone for things like that. It
> is pretty good for getting adhesive residue off of other surfaces. ...

Second. Goo Gone works wonderfully.

Might find it in the houseware aisle of a big box, or at a grocery.

HTH

--Karen D.

"R Brickston" wrote: Moron, is there an echo in here?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, and it's you. You used that exact line on me a couple of weeks ago
(and it was inappropriate then, also.)

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 23:40:29 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"R Brickston" wrote: Moron, is there an echo in here?
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Yes, and it's you. You used that exact line on me a couple of weeks ago
>(and it was inappropriate then, also.)

Touche on wit, but meaningful application I'm afraid your score is
zero.

Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "R Brickston" wrote: Moron, is there an echo in here?
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Yes, and it's you. You used that exact line on me a couple of weeks ago
> (and it was inappropriate then, also.)

So, it's not just me he irritates. I just kill-filed him, for good this
time.
Bill Baka

"Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>R Brickston wrote:

>>> Stickers in my experience use a glue that is soluble in alcohol. Rubbing
>>> alcohol (Isopropyl) will work

>> Moron, is there an echo in here?

> I didn't receive the other post before I posted.
>>
>>> or you can buy some Bacardi 151.

>>> Nail polish remover (Acetone) will take off both the glue and most
>>> likely the paint. Auto brake fluid will also take off both.

>> That's a /brilliant/ suggestion.

> I mentioned it to say "Avoid those because they do remove paint.".
>>
>>> If you plan on removing more stickers you could go to the liquor store
>>> and buy some Everclear 192 proof. Just don't try taking a sip if you
>>> plan on being functional that day.
>>> Bill Baka

>> Idiot. Grain alcohol is banned in many states.

> DUH!
> I know that, but the question was not state specific.
>
> If you want to try to pick on me, at least do it with some intelligence.
>
> My dad lived in Arkansas and if he wanted a 6 pack of beer he had to drive
> to the next county. Wet, dry, etc. The good old boy sheriffs sat at the
> county line and stopped everybody and checked their trunks for anything
> over a 6 pack, which was then called smuggling.
> ****,
> You are stupid.
> Bill Baka

I'm almost afraid to ask which dry county. I lived in both Craighead and
Clark for a while, both dry and on Friday nights there was practically a
line of cars to the next wet county. I also lived in Phillips county for a
while, but they are 'wet'. So the bums in Craighead used to drink Dr.
Tischnor's. I ought to know, my dad's store couldn't keep it in stock.
Clark had a line through Hot Springs county (also dry) to Garland (i.e. Hot
Springs city) and the infamous Ship And Shore Liquor. Considering the fact
I went to a Baptist college in a dry county, there were an awful large
number of beer cans in various places around the apartment building after a
weekend. . . .

Charles of Schaumburg

"Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>R Brickston wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 19:21:32 GMT, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> My dad lived in Arkansas and if he wanted a 6 pack of beer he had to
>>> drive to the next county. Wet, dry, etc. The good old boy sheriffs sat
>>> at the county line and stopped everybody and checked their trunks for
>>> anything over a 6 pack, which was then called smuggling.
>>> ****,
>>> You are stupid.
>>> Bill Baka

>> Eventually, this ng will get the entire history of Planet Baka's sole
>> resident. What, no 100 word essay on what year and model car Daddy
>> drove?

> Fool,
> He had 3. As for the sheriffs down there they just confiscated the extra
> and never arrested anybody. They also never had to buy their own booze and
> most were serious drunks.
> Planet Earth, Clarksville, Arkansas, home of Clinton.
> Bill Baka

Up in the Ozarks, I see. Rumor has it there be moonshine in them there
mountains.

Charles of Schaumburg

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 02:12:54 GMT, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:

>Leo Lichtman wrote:
>> "R Brickston" wrote: Moron, is there an echo in here?
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Yes, and it's you. You used that exact line on me a couple of weeks ago
>> (and it was inappropriate then, also.)
>>

>So, it's not just me he irritates. I just kill-filed him, for good this
>time.
>Bill Baka

Promises, promises.

n5hsr wrote:
> "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> My dad lived in Arkansas and if he wanted a 6 pack of beer he had to drive
>> to the next county. Wet, dry, etc. The good old boy sheriffs sat at the
>> county line and stopped everybody and checked their trunks for anything
>> over a 6 pack, which was then called smuggling.
>> ****,
>> You are stupid.
>> Bill Baka

> I'm almost afraid to ask which dry county. I lived in both Craighead and
> Clark for a while, both dry and on Friday nights there was practically a
> line of cars to the next wet county. I also lived in Phillips county for a
> while, but they are 'wet'. So the bums in Craighead used to drink Dr.
> Tischnor's. I ought to know, my dad's store couldn't keep it in stock.
> Clark had a line through Hot Springs county (also dry) to Garland (i.e. Hot
> Springs city) and the infamous Ship And Shore Liquor. Considering the fact
> I went to a Baptist college in a dry county, there were an awful large
> number of beer cans in various places around the apartment building after a
> weekend. . . .
>
> Charles of Schaumburg

Clark county. His neighbor was a deputy sheriff in charge of watching
the town/county jail over night and always came home drunk in the
morning. Seem the evidence room was the police personal stash room since
they never prosecuted anybody. Even the moonshiners they knew just had
to hand over a few gallons of the good stuff and the police would leave
and sat "See ya next month". I liked beer in that hot weather when I
visited so I had to go through the same routine as my dad. Now, it would
be about $20 of gas per six pack with my old Econoline van that I used
for vacation trips.
That was a far to the south as I ever cared to go, since with each state
farther east the cops turned into classic southern tv types. I got
stopped at the state line and the cop there called me "Boy" and I was 34
at the time. More than enough southern hospitality for me.
Bill Baka