sticking tubs

Jon_H

Guest
What is the best/easiest way to stick tubs onto the rims. I have just spent
a fair while cleaning of old tape residue and i have a roll of jantex tub
tape to hand. the tyre has been on the rim for a few days now to stretch it
to the right size. So what is the easiest way to stick the thing

cheers
Jon_H

Jon_H wrote:
> What is the best/easiest way to stick tubs onto the rims. I have just spent
> a fair while cleaning of old tape residue and i have a roll of jantex tub
> tape to hand. the tyre has been on the rim for a few days now to stretch it
> to the right size. So what is the easiest way to stick the thing

First draw a pentagram on the floor...

"Jay S. Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jon_H wrote:
>> What is the best/easiest way to stick tubs onto the rims. I have just
>> spent
>> a fair while cleaning of old tape residue and i have a roll of jantex tub
>> tape to hand. the tyre has been on the rim for a few days now to stretch
>> it
>> to the right size. So what is the easiest way to stick the thing
>>

> First draw a pentagram on the floor...

Wow that was harsh.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Thanks for the 'Top-Tip'
I have worked it out i think.

fitted tape to rim with peel off tape intact, fitted tyre with a little bit
of air, I inserted a nail between tyre and rim and peeled of between 4 and 5
cm then slid the nail along until completed. Inflated to 140psi and i'll
ride it on Sunday and see how it goes, the nice alloy mavic rim and hub
should make a bit of a difference to my steel wheels and cheap tyres.

cheers
Jon_H

http://www.yellowjersey.org/frontwheel.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jon_H wrote:
> > What is the best/easiest way to stick tubs onto the rims. I have just

spent
> > a fair while cleaning of old tape residue and i have a roll of jantex

tub
> > tape to hand. the tyre has been on the rim for a few days now to stretch

it
> > to the right size. So what is the easiest way to stick the thing

> http://www.yellowjersey.org/frontwheel.html
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

how easy is it to get them off for punctures and the like. For instance if i
had a puncture 20 miles from home and carried a spare tubular how easy is it
to change the tyre as i have never pulled one off myself. Would the tape not
be a better solution in this instance.

cheers
Jon_H

Jon Hyouwish writes:

>>> What is the best/easiest way to stick tubs onto the rims. I have
>>> just spent a fair while cleaning of old tape residue and i have a
>>> roll of Jantex tubular tape to hand. The tyre has been on the rim
>>> for a few days now to stretch it to the right size. So what is
>>> the easiest way to stick the thing

>> http://www.yellowjersey.org/frontwheel.html

Your tire is gaining little by residing on the rim. It will, however,
lose memory of its tight fit when ridden by flexing the casing.
Adhesive rim tape is notoriously poor in holding a tire on the rim and
even worse for brake heating. The adhesive in these tapes is easily
dried out and fails entirely after some hot descending (braking).

> How easy is it to get them off for punctures and the like. For
> instance if i had a puncture 20 miles from home and carried a spare
> tubular how easy is it to change the tyre as i have never pulled one
> off myself. Would the tape not be a better solution in this
> instance.

Don't even get started with tubulars. There is no excuse for you to
ride them. Yes, they are easily changed if you use any of the major
brand rim glues for road (if you can find them), and no, the tires are
not what you want to be repairing at home as is described in the FAQ
article:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tubular-repair.html

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

(am)>>http://www.yellowjersey.org/frontwheel.html

Jon_H wrote:
> how easy is it to get them off for punctures and the like. For instance if i
> had a puncture 20 miles from home and carried a spare tubular how easy is it
> to change the tyre as i have never pulled one off myself. Would the tape not
> be a better solution in this instance.

Just a firm effort with fingers will get a portion started.
Once any section's lifted enough to grasp you'll be able to
pull the rest away easily.

Sometimes a key or tire lever is needed to get a start but
I've never been unable to remove a tire in the field with
simple items found in riders' pockets. I think the larger
problem is the other way - riders sometimes damage tires in
their haste, sticking sharp things under the edge of the
base tape. And that's not frequent.

I don't see where tape or cement would differ in this
regard. If everything's clean, mated well and stuck properly
it _should_ be difficult to peel the edge up - that's the
whole idea. But not impossible.

--

[email protected] wrote:
> Adhesive rim tape is notoriously poor in holding a tire on the rim and
> even worse for brake heating. The adhesive in these tapes is easily
> dried out and fails entirely after some hot descending (braking).

-snip-
> the tires are
> not what you want to be repairing at home as is described in the FAQ
> article:
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tubular-repair.html

If I recall , we had a long (and not pleasant) discussion of
this a year ago.

Jantex is indeed scary in its lack of adhesion. I would not
mount my tire, nor a customer's tire, with it under any
circumstances.

There is a new rim tape from Tufo. It's a thin translucent
plastic tape that's very tenacious. It ships with shiny
strips covering top and bottom. To install, peel away the
bottom foil strip while pulling the tape firmly around a
clean rim. (leave the paper cover on the tire side) Mount
the tubular and inflate to 60psi=4bar. Then pull the paper
out from under the tire and inflate hard. The shiny paper
cover slips from under the tire easily. (I've abbreviated,
but that's the essence)

I was asked to try this stuff. Yes it's different.
Whatever it is, it does mount a tire securely. There is no
quality of Tufo Extreme Tape that is at all similar to
Jantex except the shape.

(I'm not convinced of a dependable tire change. It's hard to
effect without disturbing the tape's position on the rim.
A bed of sticky less-than-a-couple-of-years-old rim cement
seems a better base for a changed tire in my opinion. Most
riders I know use a previously glued tub as a spare, there
being a residual layer of cement on both tire and rim.)

Tufo tape has a loyal following in the triathlon world.
When you read or hear positive reviews of mounting a tubular
with "tape", that doesn't mean Jantex.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > spent

> > tub

stretch
> > it

> (am)>>http://www.yellowjersey.org/frontwheel.html
>
> Jon_H wrote:
> > how easy is it to get them off for punctures and the like. For instance

if i
> > had a puncture 20 miles from home and carried a spare tubular how easy

is it
> > to change the tyre as i have never pulled one off myself. Would the tape

not
> > be a better solution in this instance.

> Just a firm effort with fingers will get a portion started.
> Once any section's lifted enough to grasp you'll be able to
> pull the rest away easily.
>
> Sometimes a key or tire lever is needed to get a start but
> I've never been unable to remove a tire in the field with
> simple items found in riders' pockets. I think the larger
> problem is the other way - riders sometimes damage tires in
> their haste, sticking sharp things under the edge of the
> base tape. And that's not frequent.
>
> I don't see where tape or cement would differ in this
> regard. If everything's clean, mated well and stuck properly
> it _should_ be difficult to peel the edge up - that's the
> whole idea. But not impossible.
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks,

I'll keep that in mind the next time i come to sticking on some tyres.
cheers
Jon_H

phil writes-<< First draw a pentagram on the floor...

Wow that was harsh. >><BR><BR>

But funny!!!

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria