Sticks

Gavin Meldrum

Guest
Whats the best way to "lubricate" treky sticks? I don¹t want to flood with
WD40 or oil but there must be a gloop that will stop them fouling up in the
cupboard between jaunts.

* The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
* of violets, as Gavin Meldrum <[email protected]> descended on a shaft
* of golden sunlight, and announced:

> Whats the best way to "lubricate" treky sticks? I don¹t want to flood with
> WD40 or oil but there must be a gloop that will stop them fouling up in the
> cupboard between jaunts.

Get some Silicone Grease (eg Maplin) and put the thinnest smear possible on
the stick - more on the screwed bits. Again, use the thinnest smear on your
alloy tent poles. It's marvellous stuff for where you want waterproof and
heatproof lubrication - stove taps, seals etc.. Like with Superglue, every
home should have some to hand!

Jim Ford

In article <BDEE4CAE.5D89%[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Whats the best way to "lubricate" treky sticks? I don¹t want to flood with
> WD40 or oil but there must be a gloop that will stop them fouling up in the
> cupboard between jaunts.

all the manuals and manufactures recommend storing them in separate
sections! I'd rather apply brute force to free them up than try and put
the bits back together again!

--
Darren

On 21 Dec 2004 22:35:46 GMT, Jim Ford <[email protected]>
wrote:

>* The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
>* of violets, as Gavin Meldrum <[email protected]> descended on a shaft
>* of golden sunlight, and announced:

>> Whats the best way to "lubricate" treky sticks?

>Get some Silicone Grease (eg Maplin) and put the thinnest smear possible on
>the stick - more on the screwed bits.

Whatever you do, don't get any lube on the plastic expanding bits that
"lock" the sections (if they're of that variety) or they won't work.
Finding this out in the field is no fun.... :-(

Al
--
[This space intentionally left blank]

Jim Ford wrote:
> * The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
> * of violets, as Gavin Meldrum <[email protected]> descended on a shaft
> * of golden sunlight, and announced:
>

>>Whats the best way to "lubricate" treky sticks? I don¹t want to flood with
>>WD40 or oil but there must be a gloop that will stop them fouling up in the
>>cupboard between jaunts.

> Get some Silicone Grease (eg Maplin) and put the thinnest smear possible on
> the stick - more on the screwed bits. Again, use the thinnest smear on your
> alloy tent poles.

Another alternative is petroleum jelly ("Vaseline"), and it is available
in most High Streets (Boots or Superdrug for instance). Taking them
apart, washing and letting them dry out before storing also works :)

Gavin Meldrum wrote:
> Whats the best way to "lubricate" treky sticks?

Don't.

> there must be a gloop that will stop them fouling up in the
> cupboard between jaunts.

Store them in separate sections and then that won't happen. Can be
worth cleaning up the threads on the locking grommets when they're in bits.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:55:54 GMT, Gavin Meldrum <[email protected]>
wrote:

| Whats the best way to "lubricate" treky sticks? I don¹t want to flood with
| WD40 or oil but there must be a gloop that will stop them fouling up in the
| cupboard between jaunts.

Use solid wooden sticks? Mine will take my full weight, IMO a great
advantage.

--
Dave F

Gavin Meldrum wrote:
> Whats the best way to "lubricate" treky sticks? I don¹t want to flood
> with WD40 or oil but there must be a gloop that will stop them
> fouling up in the cupboard between jaunts.

Just don't panic. Mine have seen no maintenance in 6 years and still work
fine. I might have a wee look at them now though. Doh.
--
Muzz
reply to uglyduck NOT spamfrog