Sticky Cables

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Rebecca Morris, Dec 30, 2004.

  1. Does anyone have a good method to keep Gaterade and such from dripping along
    the downtube and gumming up the bottom bracket cable guide? It's not a big
    deal to clean it every few days, but I wonder if someone has come up with a
    trick to keep the guide clean. I thought about packing it with grease, but
    I am afraid that it will end up a grit magnet with its own problems.

    The old cable guides that mounted on the seat tube seem to have gone the way
    of wool shorts. Thanks in advance for any good ideas (and a few funny
    dumbass ones)

    Bob

    Tags:

  2. Neil Brooks

    Neil Brooks Guest

    Rebecca Morris wrote:
    > Does anyone have a good method to keep Gaterade and such from
    > dripping along the downtube and gumming up the bottom bracket cable
    > guide? It's not a big deal to clean it every few days, but I wonder
    > if someone has come up with a trick to keep the guide clean. I
    > thought about packing it with grease, but I am afraid that it will
    > end up a grit magnet with its own problems.
    >
    > The old cable guides that mounted on the seat tube seem to have gone
    > the way of wool shorts. Thanks in advance for any good ideas (and a
    > few funny dumbass ones)

    The denizens of r.b.t. have been very kind to you so far.....

  3. Weisse Luft

    Weisse Luft New Member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2004
    Messages:
    1,306
    The best way is replacing cables with Nokon cable sytem or possibly the Aztec Powerlines. Nokons have a liner which completely isolates the cable from the environment, preventing any dirt from entering the system. I have Nokons and they are 100% immune to this problem. Lubricant is added between the cable and liner on installation which should last for the life of the cable but you can always add extra later.

    I don't have any experience with the Aztecs but they should be similar.

  4. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Tie a string around the tube it runs along. It will divert to the
    string and drip off of that.
    --
    Ron Hardin
    [email protected]

  5. Rebecca-<< Does anyone have a good method to keep Gaterade and such from
    dripping along
    the downtube and gumming up the bottom bracket cable guide? It's not a big
    deal to clean it every few days, but I wonder if someone has come up with a
    trick to keep the guide clean. >><BR><BR>

    I say not being a smartass but be neater or use water. Bottle, even ones closed
    tightly, will leak a bit and will follow gravity and end up gumming up the BB
    guide. A spray of water from a hose after a ride will help too. w/o a nozzle on
    the hose.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  6. MikeYankee

    MikeYankee Guest

    1. If you spell Gatorade correctly it will not gum up your BB cable guide.

    2. Seriously, try a different water bottle, one that may not leak as much
    around top and/or mouthpiece -- and do not overfill..

    3. Also, try diluting your Gatorade or whatever (2/3 energy drink, 1/3 water).
    Mainly this makes it easier to digest. It's also less sticky and saves money.

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers.
    To reply, delete everything after "com".)