Sticky CrossMax Freehub

ttfield

Nov 19, 2003
I have a challenge in that my rear Crossmax wheel spins my cranks when coasting.

I have disassembled the freehub body, cleaned, re-lubed with Phil's Tenacious oil and re-assembled. The freakin' wheel still spins the cranks.

It bothers me in the fact that when I spin backwards for a quick manuever or to power up for a section the chain will bunch and sometimes shift on me. Not good in a race situation when every second counts.

Anyone have insight to the situation or even better real live experience and a solution.

Much appreciated,

Thomas
Nashville, TN

Originally posted by ttfield
I have a challenge in that my rear Crossmax wheel spins my cranks when coasting.

I have disassembled the freehub body, cleaned, re-lubed with Phil's Tenacious oil and re-assembled. The freakin' wheel still spins the cranks.

It bothers me in the fact that when I spin backwards for a quick manuever or to power up for a section the chain will bunch and sometimes shift on me. Not good in a race situation when every second counts.

Anyone have insight to the situation or even better real live experience and a solution.

Much appreciated,

Thomas
Nashville, TN

There's a big rubber seal between the freehub body and hub to keep dirt from getting in. The problem is over time it kinda swells and sometimes the bearings get compressed just a bit more making it rub tight enough to do what you are describing. The quick fix is to get rid of the seal and it will spin perfectly smooth. Try getting a new seal.

Originally posted by Hecubus
There's a big rubber seal between the freehub body and hub to keep dirt from getting in. The problem is over time it kinda swells and sometimes the bearings get compressed just a bit more making it rub tight enough to do what you are describing. The quick fix is to get rid of the seal and it will spin perfectly smooth. Try getting a new seal.

Thanks.

I guess you are referring to the white seal inside the freehub body. It seemed to be permanently pressed into the body. I will look into replacing it soon.

No its not the white part. The white part is what makes contact against the seal. Its a big black o-ring like thing with a big lip around it. If you removed the freehub body and didn't see it, its probably stuck on the other side inside the hub.

My cross max's were new last year on my mountain bike. I rode a lot of long grueling 6 hour races last summer and put some miles on them. ( man they work GREAT! lite, fast climbing...just awesome) But suddenly after my last long race
which was Chequamagon in Wisconsin..a NICE muddy race where I occasionally found myself doused in mud puddles up to my knees..... they started 'grating' and doing the SAME THING that he was talking about.... popping the chain and sticking....grating sounds, even a BIRD CHIRP metronome.
what is that? like. what? I know they are not impervious to disaster. but its only one season!
Ok...I admite that I do abuse my equipment like a good girl should. ;) But I brought them in to the LBS, then a good friend mechanic....its not that much better. though a little better. They are not the same wheels now.
is this the seal?? I dont feel comfortable doing that above thingee.
I think I"ll just send them back to the manufacturer.
grrrrrrr I probably wont see them again till August LOL! oh man .

Originally posted by JuneBug
My cross max's were new last year on my mountain bike. I rode a lot of long grueling 6 hour races last summer and put some miles on them. ( man they work GREAT! lite, fast climbing...just awesome) But suddenly after my last long race
which was Chequamagon in Wisconsin..a NICE muddy race where I occasionally found myself doused in mud puddles up to my knees..... they started 'grating' and doing the SAME THING that he was talking about.... popping the chain and sticking....grating sounds, even a BIRD CHIRP metronome.
what is that? like. what? I know they are not impervious to disaster. but its only one season!
Ok...I admite that I do abuse my equipment like a good girl should. ;) But I brought them in to the LBS, then a good friend mechanic....its not that much better. though a little better. They are not the same wheels now.
is this the seal?? I dont feel comfortable doing that above thingee.
I think I"ll just send them back to the manufacturer.
grrrrrrr I probably wont see them again till August LOL! oh man .

What model year are yours? I first noticed that happening to mine after about a year of use and it was a 2001 model (same as the 02's) I bought a new set in 03, the SSC SL's (silver colored ones) which seemed to have a much smoother spinning freehub. The problem you are describing sounds like it could be worn bearings though. Squeaky odd sounds are usually caused by sealed bearings loosing their grease and being contaminated with grit and water. Its hard to tell. Anyway, if that were the case a bearing shop can replace all the bearings for like 10 dollars.

What model year are yours? Squeaky odd sounds are usually caused by sealed bearings loosing their grease and being contaminated with grit and water. Its hard to tell. Anyway, if that were the case a bearing shop can replace all the bearings for like 10 dollars.

Mine are 2003, the silver ones. Its possible that these were 'made on bastille day' or something. You know... just a bad batch. But I 'put my bike up wet' a lot so its my fault for not paying attention to them . Maybe they need a little extra attention.
I had an old set. I bought USED do you believe it? and they lasted a long time! My new ones were a gift actually. ((biker chicks equivalent to the tennis bracelet, haha))

Thanks to you both for the discussion and insight.

I soaked the freehub body in the solvent tank, checked the black seal to which it looked to be in good shape and replaced the pawls and springs. The wheel rolls like brand new and no crank movement. Can't wait to roll her on the trails tomorrow.

Thomas