Sticky Deore Mega Shifters

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ron Harbin, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Ron Harbin

    Ron Harbin Guest

    I have Deore Mega rapid fire shifters on my two year old mountain bike. When it's cold the shifters
    become so sticky they won't shift. It is especially a problem with the rear shifter. I disassembled
    the rear shifter and had a heck of a time getting it back together but I did. I cleaned and lubed
    all the parts. It is better but still sticks. When it is warm it is fine. The front shifter isn't as
    bad. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Ron

    Tags:

  2. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:02:06 GMT, "Ron Harbin" <[email protected]> may
    have said:

    >I have Deore Mega rapid fire shifters on my two year old mountain bike. When it's cold the shifters
    >become so sticky they won't shift. It is especially a problem with the rear shifter. I disassembled
    >the rear shifter and had a heck of a time getting it back together but I did. I cleaned and lubed
    >all the parts. It is better but still sticks. When it is warm it is fine. The front shifter isn't
    >as bad. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

    Check for cable movement that's not completely free, and check for lube that gets stiff in cold
    conditions in the pivots of the rear derailleur.

    I assume that when you said "rear shifter" you were speaking of the lever assembly on the right
    handlebar, and not the rear derailleur.

  3. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    Have you replaced cables and housings in the 2 years?
    If not, it may be time.
    Check:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/cables.html
    Sometimes just following the easiest steps in this article can make a big difference, such as cleaning the under bottom bracket area where the cables are routed.
    You could disconnect the cable at the rear derailer and pull and push on it to see how freely it moves.
    It may be time to overhaul the rear derailer. Check with Park Tool site at url:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_deroh.shtml

  4. Ron Harbin

    Ron Harbin Guest

    Thanks I was "sure" it was in the hand shifter. I had completely slacked the cables and the shifter
    still seemed sticky. But I'll recheck the cables and make sure the rear derailour itself isn't
    gummed up. I have done a fair amount of riding in muddy conditions which may be the real cause. When
    it's warm I love the way this bike shifts. Thanks for the tips. Ron

    news:[email protected]...