Sticky Deore Mega Shifters

Ron Harbin

Guest
I have Deore Mega rapid fire shifters on my two year old mountain bike. When it's cold the shifters
become so sticky they won't shift. It is especially a problem with the rear shifter. I disassembled
the rear shifter and had a heck of a time getting it back together but I did. I cleaned and lubed
all the parts. It is better but still sticks. When it is warm it is fine. The front shifter isn't as
bad. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Ron

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:02:06 GMT, "Ron Harbin" <[email protected]> may
have said:

>I have Deore Mega rapid fire shifters on my two year old mountain bike. When it's cold the shifters
>become so sticky they won't shift. It is especially a problem with the rear shifter. I disassembled
>the rear shifter and had a heck of a time getting it back together but I did. I cleaned and lubed
>all the parts. It is better but still sticks. When it is warm it is fine. The front shifter isn't
>as bad. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Check for cable movement that's not completely free, and check for lube that gets stiff in cold
conditions in the pivots of the rear derailleur.

I assume that when you said "rear shifter" you were speaking of the lever assembly on the right
handlebar, and not the rear derailleur.

Originally posted by Ron Harbin
I have Deore Mega rapid fire shifters on my two year old mountain bike. When it's cold the shifters
become so sticky they won't shift. It is especially a problem with the rear shifter. I disassembled
the rear shifter and had a heck of a time getting it back together but I did. I cleaned and lubed
all the parts. It is better but still sticks. When it is warm it is fine. The front shifter isn't as
bad. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Ron

Have you replaced cables and housings in the 2 years?
If not, it may be time.
Check:
http://sheldonbrown.com/cables.html
Sometimes just following the easiest steps in this article can make a big difference, such as cleaning the under bottom bracket area where the cables are routed.
You could disconnect the cable at the rear derailer and pull and push on it to see how freely it moves.
It may be time to overhaul the rear derailer. Check with Park Tool site at url:
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_deroh.shtml

Thanks I was "sure" it was in the hand shifter. I had completely slacked the cables and the shifter
still seemed sticky. But I'll recheck the cables and make sure the rear derailour itself isn't
gummed up. I have done a fair amount of riding in muddy conditions which may be the real cause. When
it's warm I love the way this bike shifts. Thanks for the tips. Ron

news:[email protected]...