Sticky New Chain

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by pas, Aug 30, 2004.

  1. pas

    pas Guest

    Ok, the new-ish drive train is working pretty well, except the new chain is
    still kind of waxy and sticky. The lbs guy and Zinn say the same thing, just
    lube it and wipe it down before each ride. Maybe it's the kind of dirt/dust
    we have around here, but things are still real sticky after several rides.
    I'm using "pro-lube" and tri-flow lubricants. Any ideas?

    penny

    ps, the zinn book is worth is just for the beautiful drawings and the great
    quotes.

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "pas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ok, the new-ish drive train is working pretty well, except the new chain

    is
    > still kind of waxy and sticky. The lbs guy and Zinn say the same thing,

    just
    > lube it and wipe it down before each ride. Maybe it's the kind of

    dirt/dust
    > we have around here, but things are still real sticky after several

    rides.
    > I'm using "pro-lube" and tri-flow lubricants. Any ideas?
    >
    > penny
    >
    > ps, the zinn book is worth is just for the beautiful drawings and the

    great
    > quotes.

    I've always cleaned off the 'new chain' lube with degreaser/chain cleaner.
    I then use Pedro's Extra Dry lube. The stuff they put on it at the factory
    is mainly to keep the chains from rusting up on the shelf. It's way too
    sticky for dusty conditions.

    Mike

  3. TJ

    TJ Guest

    "pas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ok, the new-ish drive train is working pretty well, except the new chain

    is
    > still kind of waxy and sticky. The lbs guy and Zinn say the same thing,

    just
    > lube it and wipe it down before each ride. Maybe it's the kind of

    dirt/dust
    > we have around here, but things are still real sticky after several

    rides.
    > I'm using "pro-lube" and tri-flow lubricants. Any ideas?
    >
    > penny
    >
    > ps, the zinn book is worth is just for the beautiful drawings and the

    great
    > quotes.

    Remove the lube with Citrus de-greaser. Rinse the chain with water. Use
    compressed air to remove the water from the chain. Get some wax based lube.
    I recommend the Krytech stuff. Wipe off the excess. It sheds dust and dirt
    well.

    TJ
    www.gvii.net/hundtoft

  4. pas

    pas Guest

    TJ wrote:
    > "pas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Ok, the new-ish drive train is working pretty well, except the new
    >> chain is still kind of waxy and sticky. The lbs guy and Zinn say the
    >> same thing, just lube it and wipe it down before each ride. Maybe
    >> it's the kind of dirt/dust we have around here, but things are still
    >> real sticky after several rides. I'm using "pro-lube" and tri-flow
    >> lubricants. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> penny
    >>
    >> ps, the zinn book is worth is just for the beautiful drawings and
    >> the great quotes.
    >>

    > Remove the lube with Citrus de-greaser. Rinse the chain with water.
    > Use compressed air to remove the water from the chain. Get some wax
    > based lube. I recommend the Krytech stuff. Wipe off the excess. It
    > sheds dust and dirt well.
    >
    > TJ
    > www.gvii.net/hundtoft

    wax based, is that like White lightning? Hated that stuff.

    penny

  5. pas

    pas Guest

    Michael Dart wrote:
    > "pas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Ok, the new-ish drive train is working pretty well, except the new
    >> chain is still kind of waxy and sticky. The lbs guy and Zinn say the
    >> same thing, just lube it and wipe it down before each ride. Maybe
    >> it's the kind of dirt/dust we have around here, but things are still
    >> real sticky after several rides. I'm using "pro-lube" and tri-flow
    >> lubricants. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> penny
    >>
    >> ps, the zinn book is worth is just for the beautiful drawings and
    >> the great quotes.
    >>

    > I've always cleaned off the 'new chain' lube with degreaser/chain
    > cleaner. I then use Pedro's Extra Dry lube. The stuff they put on it
    > at the factory is mainly to keep the chains from rusting up on the
    > shelf. It's way too sticky for dusty conditions.
    >
    > Mike

    simple green will work for degreasing, won't it?

    p.

  6. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "pas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Michael Dart wrote:
    > > "pas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >> Ok, the new-ish drive train is working pretty well, except the new
    > >> chain is still kind of waxy and sticky. The lbs guy and Zinn say the
    > >> same thing, just lube it and wipe it down before each ride. Maybe
    > >> it's the kind of dirt/dust we have around here, but things are still
    > >> real sticky after several rides. I'm using "pro-lube" and tri-flow
    > >> lubricants. Any ideas?
    > >>
    > >> penny
    > >>
    > >> ps, the zinn book is worth is just for the beautiful drawings and
    > >> the great quotes.
    > >>

    > > I've always cleaned off the 'new chain' lube with degreaser/chain
    > > cleaner. I then use Pedro's Extra Dry lube. The stuff they put on it
    > > at the factory is mainly to keep the chains from rusting up on the
    > > shelf. It's way too sticky for dusty conditions.
    > >
    > > Mike

    > simple green will work for degreasing, won't it?

    Yes, good stuff. Citrus degreasers work well too.

    Mike

  7. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    > wax based, is that like White lightning? Hated that stuff.

    Agreed. I used it all the time... because I wanted to finish the damn
    bottle.

    It lasts about 10-15 miles in my experience per application, and 0 miles in
    the rain.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  8. "pas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ok, the new-ish drive train is working pretty well, except the new chain

    is
    > still kind of waxy and sticky.

    [Rog on holidays]

    Hi Penny.

    That stuff is called "cosmoline" (sp?) it was originally used in WWII, maybe
    even further back, as a waterproofing agent on stuff sent overseas. Worked
    so well they use it on bike chains to prevent rust from forming prior to
    getting to the end user. It's really gunky stuff, and chains will never
    really get smooth unless it's totally removed.

    - Rog

    PS - Having a great time on holidays. Met Keith L. and Mrs. Keith (You guys
    Rule!!) and had a great time in Michigan. Got a free gallon of pickles from
    our visit to Vlasic's plant in Imlay City! More on all this when we get home
    though...

    Good riding to ya!

  9. jack

    jack Guest

    > That stuff is called "cosmoline" (sp?) it was originally used in WWII,

    maybe
    > even further back, as a waterproofing agent on stuff sent overseas. Worked
    > so well they use it on bike chains to prevent rust from forming prior to
    > getting to the end user. It's really gunky stuff, and chains will never
    > really get smooth unless it's totally removed.

    I like using Cosmoline lube for neighborhood kids bike and bozos who don't
    know about chain maintenance. It's last a real long time and does prevent
    rusty chains for low end chains.

    I use my own brew for my personal bikes and lube after every ride.

  10. TJ

    TJ Guest

    "pas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > TJ wrote:
    > > "pas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >> Ok, the new-ish drive train is working pretty well, except the new
    > >> chain is still kind of waxy and sticky. The lbs guy and Zinn say the
    > >> same thing, just lube it and wipe it down before each ride. Maybe
    > >> it's the kind of dirt/dust we have around here, but things are still
    > >> real sticky after several rides. I'm using "pro-lube" and tri-flow
    > >> lubricants. Any ideas?
    > >>
    > >> penny
    > >>
    > >> ps, the zinn book is worth is just for the beautiful drawings and
    > >> the great quotes.
    > >>

    > > Remove the lube with Citrus de-greaser. Rinse the chain with water.
    > > Use compressed air to remove the water from the chain. Get some wax
    > > based lube. I recommend the Krytech stuff. Wipe off the excess. It
    > > sheds dust and dirt well.
    > >
    > > TJ
    > > www.gvii.net/hundtoft

    > wax based, is that like White lightning? Hated that stuff.
    >
    > penny

    Agreed.. I hate the White Lightning stuff too. I have found that the
    Finishline Krytech stuff is good. One application lasts a lot longer than
    the other stuff.
    http://www.finishlineusa.com/ Dust just does not stick to it.

    TJ
    www.gvii.net/hundtoft

  11. tcmedara

    tcmedara Guest

    pas <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Ok, the new-ish drive train is working pretty well, except the new
    > chain is still kind of waxy and sticky. The lbs guy and Zinn say the
    > same thing, just lube it and wipe it down before each ride. Maybe
    > it's the kind of dirt/dust we have around here, but things are still
    > real sticky after several rides. I'm using "pro-lube" and tri-flow
    > lubricants. Any ideas?
    >
    > penny
    >
    > ps, the zinn book is worth is just for the beautiful drawings and the
    > great quotes.

    I recall a recent thread or two in RBT where guys were saying SRAM suggests
    leaving the original lube on the chain for their products. I looked on the
    SRAM web site to confirm and couldn't find mention either way. Ya may want
    to google around and see if you find anything -- that is if you really care.
    Degrease, clean, dry and lube of choice will probably work just fine. In my
    opinion too many people obsess over their chains. Lube, ride, clean if
    required, replace as needed -- it ain't brain surgery.

    Glad to see you grabbed a copy of Zinn's book. Between that, Sheldon
    Brown's website, and downloaded copies of Barnett's there's little I can't
    do on my own anymore....except freewheel removal.

    Tom

  12. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    <snip> [thread hijaak]

    > Glad to see you grabbed a copy of Zinn's book. Between that, Sheldon
    > Brown's website, and downloaded copies of Barnett's there's little I can't
    > do on my own anymore....except freewheel removal.
    >
    > Tom

    You underwater down there yet Tom? Class V rapids down Mainstreet Shockoe
    Bottom here in Richmond.

    Mike

    news:[email protected]

    http://www.sram.com/tech_info/faq_display.asp?faq_id=14

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
    The rest I've just wasted.

  14. "pas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ok, the new-ish drive train is working pretty well, except the new chain
    > is
    > still kind of waxy and sticky. The lbs guy and Zinn say the same thing,
    > just
    > lube it and wipe it down before each ride. Maybe it's the kind of
    > dirt/dust
    > we have around here, but things are still real sticky after several
    > rides.
    > I'm using "pro-lube" and tri-flow lubricants. Any ideas?
    >
    > penny
    >
    > ps, the zinn book is worth is just for the beautiful drawings and the
    > great
    > quotes.

    Leave it on...eventually theTri-flow will dissolve the Cosmoline. It is
    dusty year round here in So-cal. I brush the dust off the chain and gears
    with a paint brush, add more Tri-flow to chain, wipe off excess and go. I
    use to use degreaser and one of those chain cleaners that you can leave the
    chain on the bike. It seemed to push the grit further into the links.

    I also hate White Lighting...the build up was tuff to remove.

  15. tcmedara

    tcmedara Guest

    Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > <snip> [thread hijaak]
    >>
    >> Glad to see you grabbed a copy of Zinn's book. Between that, Sheldon
    >> Brown's website, and downloaded copies of Barnett's there's little I
    >> can't do on my own anymore....except freewheel removal.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >>

    > You underwater down there yet Tom? Class V rapids down Mainstreet
    > Shockoe Bottom here in Richmond.
    >
    > Mike

    Just about -- we still haven't dried out from the remains of Charley.
    Ground is so saturated that the slightest wind is going to start knocking
    trees down. Hope we don't get another damn hurricane through here. We
    still haven't managed to get all the trails open from last year.

    Stay dry!

    Tom

  16. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Michael Dart wrote:
    > "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > <snip> [thread hijaak]
    >
    >>Glad to see you grabbed a copy of Zinn's book. Between that, Sheldon
    >>Brown's website, and downloaded copies of Barnett's there's little I can't
    >>do on my own anymore....except freewheel removal.
    >>
    >>Tom
    >>

    > You underwater down there yet Tom? Class V rapids down Mainstreet Shockoe
    > Bottom here in Richmond.
    >
    > Mike

    Ahh, the bottom. My old stomping grounds when I used to work at
    AlliedSignal. Is Millies still around? The best damn food in VA!

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  17. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Michael Dart wrote:
    > > "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > <snip> [thread hijaak]
    > >
    > >>Glad to see you grabbed a copy of Zinn's book. Between that, Sheldon
    > >>Brown's website, and downloaded copies of Barnett's there's little I

    can't
    > >>do on my own anymore....except freewheel removal.
    > >>
    > >>Tom
    > >>

    > > You underwater down there yet Tom? Class V rapids down Mainstreet

    Shockoe
    > > Bottom here in Richmond.
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >

    > Ahh, the bottom. My old stomping grounds when I used to work at
    > AlliedSignal. Is Millies still around? The best damn food in VA!

    Everything from 14th St. to 18th St. and from Broad St. to the river is
    condemned. If Millies was in there it won't be open for a while.

    Mike

  18. tcmedara

    tcmedara Guest

    Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Everything from 14th St. to 18th St. and from Broad St. to the river
    > is condemned. If Millies was in there it won't be open for a while.
    >
    > Mike

    Wow!

    You guys got drenched. Could hardly believe what I saw on TV. We had rain,
    you guys had a damn Noah-like experience and only an hour up the road.
    Damn. I heard reports of 15 inches of rain overnight, or something like
    that. Its was pretty damn rainy, but rain like you guys had begins to blur
    the distinction between land and water. Don't imagine the trails will be in
    the best shape for a while, eh?

    Tom

  19. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > Everything from 14th St. to 18th St. and from Broad St. to the river
    > > is condemned. If Millies was in there it won't be open for a while.
    > >
    > > Mike

    > Wow!
    >
    > You guys got drenched. Could hardly believe what I saw on TV. We had

    rain,
    > you guys had a damn Noah-like experience and only an hour up the road.
    > Damn. I heard reports of 15 inches of rain overnight, or something like
    > that. Its was pretty damn rainy, but rain like you guys had begins to

    blur
    > the distinction between land and water. Don't imagine the trails will be

    in
    > the best shape for a while, eh?

    The area just north of downtown Richmond recieved 14 inches of rain in about
    8 hours. This entire area drains into the Shockoe valley.

    http://www.wwbt.com/servlet/Satelli...BT_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031777642946

    I checked the trails at Pocahontas State Park yesterday and they are ok but
    very wet and will be closed until this weekend. This is the first time I've
    seen urban riding terrain changed from a storm however.

    Mike