Sticky seat post

DAC17

Jun 6, 2008
I have a 2011 Cannondale CAAD 9 with a carbon seat post, and it gets stuck very often, such that it is very difficult to take the post in and out. I loosened the 5mm torx screw as much as possible, but it doesn't help. Is there any lube I could put on that wouldn't damage the post or cause it to slip too much?

Thanks.

I'll tell you what I've used successfully for years...aluminum post in steel frames...carbon post in aluminum sleeve in carbon frame...carbon post in Ti frame...carbon post in carbon frame...aluminum post in carbon frame...

Automotive Bearing Grease. $.99/tube at Tractor Supply. Thin film application, wipe off excess.

I have no clue what it reacts with, but so far it hasn't damaged any of my carbon fiber and the seat posts don't get stuck.

DAC17 said:
I have a 2011 Cannondale CAAD 9 with a carbon seat post, and it gets stuck very often, such that it is very difficult to take the post in and out.  I loosened the 5mm torx screw as much as possible, but it doesn't help.  Is there any lube I could put on that wouldn't damage the post or cause it to slip too much? Thanks.
Pretty much any bike shop worth anything should have some anti-seize compound for sale. Likewise, grease can work. Neither will hurt the carbon fiber or aluminum in the slightest. The carbon fiber matrix does not react to grease or, for that matter, many chemicals at all.