Stiff front suspension fork

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by gypo, Feb 4, 2013.

1. gypo

gypo New Member

Hi everyone - I'm new to all this so apologies if I haven't been detailed enough but ill try! - I've got a Saracen 7005 blitz aluminium that has been in storage for awhile and the front suspension fork is now a little stiff. It does have some give so isn't completely seized up. I was wondering if this is something I can repair myself, if it's actually worth fixing or if it's going to be cheaper to just replace it. Ideally I'd like to repair it as finance is an issue. Any advice would be a massive help! If you need anymore details ill try get them over. Thanks for helping a nube!

Tags:

2. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

How did the suspension got stuck?

3. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

We'd be in a better position to help if you told us the make/model of the fork rather than the name of the bike.

Over here, basic service of a (serviceable) fork is about 50 EUR, and you might be able to find a new sus fork that isn't entirely a joke for, say 150 EUR.
    But the big mystery is what's wrong with the one you have. If muck and dirt has made it past the seals, you may have trashed the fork legs beyond reasonable repair.

With a bit of luck you may be able to find a disassembly/maintenance video on youtube.

4. rangerover

rangerover New Member

[SIZE=10pt]It sounds like there might be some containments inside or worse "rust".[/SIZE]
    I would look into having it rebuilt (pending cost from LFS)