stiff gears

Caher

May 22, 2003
Hi all,
My bike came with deore shifters and front and rear mechs. Shifting is a real pain and is very clunky, at least compared to my other bike which is xt and xtr specc'd. However I am unsure where the blame might lie? Is it the shifters? Or the mechanisms or the chain rings them selves.
It clinks into higher gears ok via clicks but a strong thumb is required for lower gears. It definitely is not the indexing or any maintained issues as it works fine but not smooth. I almost feel the need for “hydraulic shifters” in the same way my mono mini’s revolutionised my brakes.
Any ideas out there?
Many thanks
Caher

Caher said:
Hi all,
My bike came with deore shifters and front and rear mechs. Shifting is a real pain and is very clunky, at least compared to my other bike which is xt and xtr specc'd. However I am unsure where the blame might lie? Is it the shifters? Or the mechanisms or the chain rings them selves.
It clinks into higher gears ok via clicks but a strong thumb is required for lower gears. It definitely is not the indexing or any maintained issues as it works fine but not smooth. I almost feel the need for “hydraulic shifters” in the same way my mono mini’s revolutionised my brakes.
Any ideas out there?
Many thanks
Caher
It is hard for me to feel what you are talking about.
Is shifting difficult in front and rear?
Is shifting difficult in one or both directions?
Could it be a spring tension issue?

Both front and rear are stiff. My hunch is the actual shifters but it would seem strange to change these and not the mechs and cables?

Caher said:
Both front and rear are stiff. My hunch is the actual shifters but it would seem strange to change these and not the mechs and cables?

I would start by trying to isolate what is stiff.... and if that is "normal".
I would do this by shifting the the "neutral" position where the mech is not held in place by cable tension and then releasing the cable at the mech. Then move the shifter though it's range and return to it's original position. If it is the mech you will know it by signicantly "improved" feel.
If it is cable/housing/ends/ and/or shifter you won't feel much difference.
If the "trouble" is still there, with the mech out of the "system"; pull the housing out of the cable stops and try again. If the "trouble" goes away you know it is in the cable/housing/ends. If the "trouble" is still there, it is the characteristics of or problem with the shifters.

My bike's gears get stiff when a good-lookin Fondriest rides by. ;)