Stiff Knees

dvnjhn

Aug 1, 2007
I have only been cycling for about 3 months now, and I cycle (commute) about 35 to 50 miles per week.

In the last four days, my knees are really stiff. They are fine when cycling or walking as after about 5 mins they loosen up, but when I sit down they really sieze up. I aint in any pain or discomfort its just annoying. I have not had this before and I am only 29. In the last month in Scotland its been pretty damb cold.

Is this normal for beginners? or should I stop cycling in the cold?

I can't say, but I have noticed that I tend to have knee problems when they get cold. When I use knee / leg warmers, it makes quite a difference - at least, it seems to.

Try to be sure your knees are always warm, and see if that makes a difference for you.

Well its now two weeks later and my "stiff knees" progressed into stiff everything else (hips, ankles, fingers etc). After not cycling for a week I have been told by the better half that I should go to the doctor.

She says I have a viral infection and I am looking at anouther two weeks off my bike. This is torture.

Never thought a viral infection could be so sore!!!!!!!

Tough break, I too am young and don't usually get stiffness in the knees. However, I wonder if a light kneading or massage after the ride may help. Sometimes my feet get stiff after rides and that usually does the trick. Good luck.