Stiff middle finger

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Alfalfa, May 17, 2003.

  1. Alfalfa

    Alfalfa Guest

    Recently my middle right hand finger starting to get stiff. I ride mainly in weekends (for hours on
    Saturday and Sunday) and using fairly new gloves that I first felt good, now I am not sure what is
    causing this condition.

    Is it my position on the bike? Handle bar adjustments perhaps? I am otherwise comfortable while
    riding long distances.

    Thanks. Alf.

    Tags:

  2. Frank121

    Frank121 Guest

    Too many near miss encounters with bad drivers? ;-)

    "Alfalfa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Recently my middle right hand finger starting to get stiff.<

  3. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Alfalfa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Recently my middle right hand finger starting to get stiff. I ride mainly
    in
    > weekends (for hours on Saturday and Sunday) and using fairly new gloves
    that
    > I first felt good, now I am not sure what is causing this condition.
    >
    > Is it my position on the bike? Handle bar adjustments perhaps? I am otherwise comfortable while
    > riding long distances.

    My middle finger often gets stiff on my weekend rides, too. It's usually due to some asshole
    giving me shit.

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  4. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    It depends on what it feels like. If it's just stiff it's one thing, if it feels like it releases at
    one point in the extension it's another thing,. called "trigger finger." I have it and it's not
    caused by riding but by a band of cartiledge trapping a fluid capusle. It's not serious and there is
    an operation to solve it but only in very severe cases. Phil Brown

  5. Alfalfa

    Alfalfa Guest

    I should have mentioned that I am a computer engineering specializing in computer security. That is,
    I can determine where you are and perhaps type your responses for you, that is, if you assume that
    my question is not sincere :)

    "Alfalfa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Recently my middle right hand finger starting to get stiff. I ride mainly
    in
    > weekends (for hours on Saturday and Sunday) and using fairly new gloves
    that
    > I first felt good, now I am not sure what is causing this condition.
    >
    > Is it my position on the bike? Handle bar adjustments perhaps? I am otherwise comfortable while
    > riding long distances.
    >
    > Thanks. Alf.

  6. John Albergo

    John Albergo Guest

    Alfalfa wrote:

    >Recently my middle right hand finger starting to get stiff. I ride mainly in weekends (for hours on
    >Saturday and Sunday) and using fairly new gloves that I first felt good, now I am not sure what is
    >causing this condition.
    >
    >Is it my position on the bike? Handle bar adjustments perhaps? I am otherwise comfortable while
    >riding long distances.
    >
    >Thanks. Alf.

    Tried going back to your old gloves?

  7. Hawke

    Hawke Guest

    "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Alfalfa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Recently my middle right hand finger starting to get stiff. I ride
    mainly
    > in
    > > weekends (for hours on Saturday and Sunday) and using fairly new gloves
    > that
    > > I first felt good, now I am not sure what is causing this condition.
    > >
    > > Is it my position on the bike? Handle bar adjustments perhaps? I am otherwise comfortable while
    > > riding long distances.
    > >

    > My middle finger often gets stiff on my weekend rides, too. It's usually due to some asshole
    > giving me shit.

    Keep your finger out of asshole's and you won't have one giving you shit!

    Hawke

  8. Coal Porter

    Coal Porter Guest

    On Sat, 17 May 2003 20:35:19 GMT, "Alfalfa" <[email protected]> wrote:

    <I should have mentioned that I am a computer engineering specializing in <computer security. <That
    is, I can determine where you are and perhaps type your responses for <you, that is, if you assume
    that my question is not sincere :)

    My middle finger gets stiff too.... and it's 99 44/00s directed at threatening morons, you
    know the type.

    < <"Alfalfa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    <news:[email protected]... <> Recently my middle right hand finger starting to
    get stiff. I ride mainly <in <> weekends (for hours on Saturday and Sunday) and using fairly new
    gloves <that <> I first felt good, now I am not sure what is causing this condition. <> <> Is it my
    position on the bike? <> Handle bar adjustments perhaps? <> I am otherwise comfortable while riding
    long distances. <> <> Thanks. <> Alf. <> <> <

  9. "Alfalfa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Recently my middle right hand finger starting to get stiff. I ride mainly in weekends (for hours
    > on Saturday and Sunday) and using fairly new gloves that I first felt good, now I am not sure what
    > is causing this condition.

    > Is it my position on the bike? Handle bar adjustments perhaps? I am otherwise comfortable while
    > riding long distances.

    I can only relate what cured my middle finger stiffness.

    I was riding along one day, minding my own business. I was on a nice country highway with wide paved
    shoulders well away from traffic. A pickup truck veers over and "buzzes" me (comes as close as
    possible without actually hitting me). Needless to say I was scared $hitless. I flipped the truck
    off. When the truck's brake lights came on I noticed three large men in the truck and a gun rack in
    the window. Not only am I outnumbered but they are armed and I already know they have a bad
    attitude. I guess they decided there were too many witnesses and sped off. Ever since then I have
    been able to control my middle finger much better.

    Bruce
    --
    Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company

  10. Cyclpsycho

    Cyclpsycho Guest

    Got on the sidewalk where we belong!!!

  11. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Alfalfa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Recently my middle right hand finger starting to get stiff. I ride mainly
    in
    > weekends (for hours on Saturday and Sunday) and using fairly new gloves
    that
    > I first felt good, now I am not sure what is causing this condition.
    >
    > Is it my position on the bike? Handle bar adjustments perhaps? I am otherwise comfortable while
    > riding long distances.

    In England it's the index and middle fingers about an inch apart.

  12. <purged>

    Do you notice if while riding your finger(s) go cold? If so, it has to be with the gloves blocking
    the blood flow or a nerve being pinched (IMHO).

    I have arthritis in both wrists from flipping over the top of the handlebars a couple of times. I
    have to notice those things or I can't ride for a few days afterwards.

    Neil S> (the slower, fatter U.S. version)

  13. David Wagner

    David Wagner Guest

    How is the finger stiff, and when? Which joint(s)?

    I am 50 years old, and I have a bit of adhesion at the meta-carpal-phalangeal joint of the middle
    finger of the left hand, between the flexor tendon and the joint. My favorite orthopedic doctor,
    Milne Ongley (http://ongleyonline.com), says that this is the beginnings of a Dupuytrens
    contraction. His treatment for this is to inject a bit of triamcinalone along the tendon, and then I
    am supposed to periodically stretch the finger back, in order to disrupt the adhesion/scar tissue.

    Your problems are most likely not the same as mine. I suggest that you consult a doctor.

    David Wagner

  14. Andy M-S

    Andy M-S Guest

    "Alfalfa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Recently my middle right hand finger starting to get stiff. I ride mainly in weekends (for hours
    > on Saturday and Sunday) and using fairly new gloves that I first felt good, now I am not sure what
    > is causing this condition.
    >
    > Is it my position on the bike? Handle bar adjustments perhaps? I am otherwise comfortable while
    > riding long distances.
    >
    > Thanks. Alf.

    Alf:

    Sounds like trigger finger. I have it, not badly enough to get an injection or surgery for it, but
    it can be irritating. I enjoy playing guitar as much as I enjoy riding, and there are days when I
    simply can't play--it's too painful, and my movements are too slow. SIGH. These things happen with
    age, I guess.

    In any event, have your doctor take a look. I think it's highly unlikely to be related to cycling.
    In fact, I have a friend who doesn't ride who has this in all of his fingers now...and surgery
    hasn't worked for him. Worst of all, he (was) a strong amateur pianist...

  15. A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
    >In England it's the index and middle fingers about an inch apart.

    Actually, the American one-finger gesture is also used and understood here in Britain.

  16. Alfalfa

    Alfalfa Guest

    Thank you all, despite some of you that I suppose had a giggle. My hope is that my condition is not
    an onset of arthritis, it does feel related to tendons or hand ligament. But then it is my right
    hand, including my middle finger that has received much beating being a somewhat retired
    racquetball player. It is also my computer-mouse hand, all and all, the pain seems to be appeared
    since I started riding with a new set of gloves. Someone suggested going to my old gloves and will
    do so, I am getting ready to go out for a ride and will see how I feel tomorrow. Again, thanks.
    Best regards. Alf.

    "Alfalfa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Recently my middle right hand finger starting to get stiff. I ride mainly
    in
    > weekends (for hours on Saturday and Sunday) and using fairly new gloves
    that
    > I first felt good, now I am not sure what is causing this condition.
    >
    > Is it my position on the bike? Handle bar adjustments perhaps? I am otherwise comfortable while
    > riding long distances.
    >
    > Thanks. Alf.

  17. Just make sure that finger doesn't flare up near some redneck in an old pickup with an NRA sticker
    on it! ;-3)

  18. OMG!!! you were serious?!?! My sincerest apologies. <blush>