Stiff middle finger

Alfalfa

Guest
Recently my middle right hand finger starting to get stiff. I ride mainly in weekends (for hours on
Saturday and Sunday) and using fairly new gloves that I first felt good, now I am not sure what is
causing this condition.

Is it my position on the bike? Handle bar adjustments perhaps? I am otherwise comfortable while
riding long distances.

Thanks. Alf.

Too many near miss encounters with bad drivers? ;-)

"Alfalfa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Recently my middle right hand finger starting to get stiff. I ride mainly
in
> weekends (for hours on Saturday and Sunday) and using fairly new gloves
that
> I first felt good, now I am not sure what is causing this condition.
>
> Is it my position on the bike? Handle bar adjustments perhaps? I am otherwise comfortable while
> riding long distances.

My middle finger often gets stiff on my weekend rides, too. It's usually due to some asshole
giving me ****.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

It depends on what it feels like. If it's just stiff it's one thing, if it feels like it releases at
one point in the extension it's another thing,. called "trigger finger." I have it and it's not
caused by riding but by a band of cartiledge trapping a fluid capusle. It's not serious and there is
an operation to solve it but only in very severe cases. Phil Brown

I should have mentioned that I am a computer engineering specializing in computer security. That is,
I can determine where you are and perhaps type your responses for you, that is, if you assume that
my question is not sincere :)

Alfalfa wrote:

>Recently my middle right hand finger starting to get stiff. I ride mainly in weekends (for hours on
>Saturday and Sunday) and using fairly new gloves that I first felt good, now I am not sure what is
>causing this condition.
>
>Is it my position on the bike? Handle bar adjustments perhaps? I am otherwise comfortable while
>riding long distances.
>
>Thanks. Alf.

Tried going back to your old gloves?

"Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Alfalfa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Recently my middle right hand finger starting to get stiff. I ride
mainly
> in
> > weekends (for hours on Saturday and Sunday) and using fairly new gloves
> that
> > I first felt good, now I am not sure what is causing this condition.
> >
> > Is it my position on the bike? Handle bar adjustments perhaps? I am otherwise comfortable while
> > riding long distances.
> >

> My middle finger often gets stiff on my weekend rides, too. It's usually due to some asshole
> giving me ****.

Keep your finger out of asshole's and you won't have one giving you ****!

Hawke

On Sat, 17 May 2003 20:35:19 GMT, "Alfalfa" <[email protected]> wrote:

<I should have mentioned that I am a computer engineering specializing in <computer security. <That
is, I can determine where you are and perhaps type your responses for <you, that is, if you assume
that my question is not sincere :)

My middle finger gets stiff too.... and it's 99 44/00s directed at threatening morons, you
know the type.

< <"Alfalfa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
<news:[email protected]... <> Recently my middle right hand finger starting to
get stiff. I ride mainly <in <> weekends (for hours on Saturday and Sunday) and using fairly new
gloves <that <> I first felt good, now I am not sure what is causing this condition. <> <> Is it my
position on the bike? <> Handle bar adjustments perhaps? <> I am otherwise comfortable while riding
long distances. <> <> Thanks. <> Alf. <> <> <

"Alfalfa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Recently my middle right hand finger starting to get stiff. I ride mainly in weekends (for hours
> on Saturday and Sunday) and using fairly new gloves that I first felt good, now I am not sure what
> is causing this condition.

> Is it my position on the bike? Handle bar adjustments perhaps? I am otherwise comfortable while
> riding long distances.

I can only relate what cured my middle finger stiffness.

I was riding along one day, minding my own business. I was on a nice country highway with wide paved
shoulders well away from traffic. A pickup truck veers over and "buzzes" me (comes as close as
possible without actually hitting me). Needless to say I was scared $hitless. I flipped the truck
off. When the truck's brake lights came on I noticed three large men in the truck and a gun rack in
the window. Not only am I outnumbered but they are armed and I already know they have a bad
attitude. I guess they decided there were too many witnesses and sped off. Ever since then I have
been able to control my middle finger much better.

Bruce
--
Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company

"Alfalfa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Recently my middle right hand finger starting to get stiff. I ride mainly
in
> weekends (for hours on Saturday and Sunday) and using fairly new gloves
that
> I first felt good, now I am not sure what is causing this condition.
>
> Is it my position on the bike? Handle bar adjustments perhaps? I am otherwise comfortable while
> riding long distances.

In England it's the index and middle fingers about an inch apart.

<purged>

Do you notice if while riding your finger(s) go cold? If so, it has to be with the gloves blocking
the blood flow or a nerve being pinched (IMHO).

I have arthritis in both wrists from flipping over the top of the handlebars a couple of times. I
have to notice those things or I can't ride for a few days afterwards.

Neil S> (the slower, fatter U.S. version)

How is the finger stiff, and when? Which joint(s)?

I am 50 years old, and I have a bit of adhesion at the meta-carpal-phalangeal joint of the middle
finger of the left hand, between the flexor tendon and the joint. My favorite orthopedic doctor,
Milne Ongley (http://ongleyonline.com), says that this is the beginnings of a Dupuytrens
contraction. His treatment for this is to inject a bit of triamcinalone along the tendon, and then I
am supposed to periodically stretch the finger back, in order to disrupt the adhesion/scar tissue.

Your problems are most likely not the same as mine. I suggest that you consult a doctor.

David Wagner

"Alfalfa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Recently my middle right hand finger starting to get stiff. I ride mainly in weekends (for hours
> on Saturday and Sunday) and using fairly new gloves that I first felt good, now I am not sure what
> is causing this condition.
>
> Is it my position on the bike? Handle bar adjustments perhaps? I am otherwise comfortable while
> riding long distances.
>
> Thanks. Alf.

Alf:

Sounds like trigger finger. I have it, not badly enough to get an injection or surgery for it, but
it can be irritating. I enjoy playing guitar as much as I enjoy riding, and there are days when I
simply can't play--it's too painful, and my movements are too slow. SIGH. These things happen with
age, I guess.

In any event, have your doctor take a look. I think it's highly unlikely to be related to cycling.
In fact, I have a friend who doesn't ride who has this in all of his fingers now...and surgery
hasn't worked for him. Worst of all, he (was) a strong amateur pianist...

Thank you all, despite some of you that I suppose had a giggle. My hope is that my condition is not
an onset of arthritis, it does feel related to tendons or hand ligament. But then it is my right
hand, including my middle finger that has received much beating being a somewhat retired
racquetball player. It is also my computer-mouse hand, all and all, the pain seems to be appeared
since I started riding with a new set of gloves. Someone suggested going to my old gloves and will
do so, I am getting ready to go out for a ride and will see how I feel tomorrow. Again, thanks.
Best regards. Alf.

"Alfalfa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Recently my middle right hand finger starting to get stiff. I ride mainly
in
> weekends (for hours on Saturday and Sunday) and using fairly new gloves
that
> I first felt good, now I am not sure what is causing this condition.
>
> Is it my position on the bike? Handle bar adjustments perhaps? I am otherwise comfortable while
> riding long distances.
>
> Thanks. Alf.

Just make sure that finger doesn't flare up near some redneck in an old pickup with an NRA sticker
on it! ;-3)

OMG!!! you were serious?!?! My sincerest apologies. <blush>