stiff yet compliant

On Dec 7, 1:29 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Sometimes you stumble over odd things when you're looking for a
> lightweight ~1900 Dursely-Pedersen bicycle.

Get a new one next time you're in Copenhagen. Around $2K USD equipped
with a Nexus hub last I checked. They're magnificent looking in
person.

On Dec 7, 1:46 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 1:29 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Sometimes you stumble over odd things when you're looking for a
> > lightweight ~1900 Dursely-Pedersen bicycle.

> Get a new one next time you're in Copenhagen. Around $2K USD equipped
> with a Nexus hub last I checked. They're magnificent looking in
> person.

They do look very interesting. Have you ridden one?

On Dec 7, 2:14 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 1:46 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 7, 1:29 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> > > Sometimes you stumble over odd things when you're looking for a
> > > lightweight ~1900 Dursely-Pedersen bicycle.

> > Get a new one next time you're in Copenhagen. Around $2K USD equipped
> > with a Nexus hub last I checked. They're magnificent looking in
> > person.

> They do look very interesting. Have you ridden one?

Nope, just chatted up a couple riders in Gothenburg. Much less
annoying than bent riders. They're supposedly exquisitely comfy with
the suspended sling saddle and completely upright position. Great city
bikes--as you get all sorts of attention. Likely poor climbers--
something I forgot to ask that fellow about last time I saw one in
front of the grocery in Masthugget, a *very* hilly neighborhood.

Missed out on one on Ebay a couple years back. At $1200 with old 7spd
kit, I bailed. I'll get a frame set one of these days and build up.
It's pretty smart how they use small diameter cheap straight gauge
tubing, using more tubes in areas with higher stress. Again, just
badass looking in person. A bit steam-punk if you will.

On Dec 7, 2:14 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 1:46 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 7, 1:29 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> > > Sometimes you stumble over odd things when you're looking for a
> > > lightweight ~1900 Dursely-Pedersen bicycle.

> > Get a new one next time you're in Copenhagen. Around $2K USD equipped
> > with a Nexus hub last I checked. They're magnificent looking in
> > person.

> They do look very interesting. Have you ridden one?

Here's the Danish site, it took a while to scare up:

http://www.pedersenbicycle.dk/

1750 Euro, very well equipped

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 11:46:09 -0800 (PST), landotter
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Dec 7, 1:29 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> Sometimes you stumble over odd things when you're looking for a
>> lightweight ~1900 Dursely-Pedersen bicycle.

>Get a new one next time you're in Copenhagen. Around $2K USD equipped
>with a Nexus hub last I checked. They're magnificent looking in
>person.

Dear LD,

Sorry, I didn't mean that I was looking for a real Pedersen to buy,
but rather that I was looking on the internet for references to the
circa 1900 ultra-lightweight 4100 gram special model Pedersen that
Marten mentioned elsewhere.

The normal Pedersen bikes weighed 15 to 23 pounds, depending on
details. The modern replicas are indeed being sold in Denmark--maybe
replica isn't quite the right word.

I wonder if Pedersens outnumber Moultons?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Dec 7, 3:44 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 2:14 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Get a new one next time you're in Copenhagen. Around $2K USD equipped
> > > with a Nexus hub last I checked. They're magnificent looking in
> > > person.

> > They do look very interesting. Have you ridden one?

> Nope, just chatted up a couple riders in Gothenburg. Much less
> annoying than bent riders. They're supposedly exquisitely comfy with
> the suspended sling saddle and completely upright position. Great city
> bikes--as you get all sorts of attention. Likely poor climbers--
> something I forgot to ask that fellow about last time I saw one in
> front of the grocery in Masthugget, a *very* hilly neighborhood.
>
> Missed out on one on Ebay a couple years back. At $1200 with old 7spd
> kit, I bailed. I'll get a frame set one of these days and build up.
> It's pretty smart how they use small diameter cheap straight gauge
> tubing, using more tubes in areas with higher stress. Again, just
> badass looking in person. A bit steam-punk if you will.

They remind me of the "spaceframe" race car chassis of the 1950s-60s,
an example is the 'Birdcage' Maserati:

http://tinyurl.com/32relz

or:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/32relz

On Dec 7, 3:49 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 2:14 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Get a new one next time you're in Copenhagen. Around $2K USD equipped
> > > with a Nexus hub last I checked. They're magnificent looking in
> > > person.

> > They do look very interesting. Have you ridden one?

> Here's the Danish site, it took a while to scare up:
>
> http://www.pedersenbicycle.dk/
>
> 1750 Euro, very well equipped

There's a US importer, too:

http://tinyurl.com/2lxndq

or:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2lxndq

I'd love to at least get to try one!

On Dec 7, 7:59 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 3:44 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 7, 2:14 pm, Ozark Bicycle

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > They do look very interesting. Have you ridden one?

> > Nope, just chatted up a couple riders in Gothenburg. Much less
> > annoying than bent riders. They're supposedly exquisitely comfy with
> > the suspended sling saddle and completely upright position. Great city
> > bikes--as you get all sorts of attention. Likely poor climbers--
> > something I forgot to ask that fellow about last time I saw one in
> > front of the grocery in Masthugget, a *very* hilly neighborhood.

> > Missed out on one on Ebay a couple years back. At $1200 with old 7spd
> > kit, I bailed. I'll get a frame set one of these days and build up.
> > It's pretty smart how they use small diameter cheap straight gauge
> > tubing, using more tubes in areas with higher stress. Again, just
> > badass looking in person. A bit steam-punk if you will.

> They remind me of the "spaceframe" race car chassis of the 1950s-60s,
> an example is the 'Birdcage' Maserati:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/32relz

Exactly! The tubing is just gorgeous with concentrations in areas of
higher stress--like riding a freakin' bridge. As much as I'm in awe of
new techniques like hydroforming which create structures that are more
akin to nature and evolutionary design, the Pederson pre-dates even
silly old butting and is clearly not trying to be pretty, but a
structure. First time I saw one, in '89 or so, probably fresh from
Christiania, on a shopping ride in Gothenburg, I stopped and just
about crapped my pants--the dang thing was just so striking. It was
machine age and thoroughly modern at the same time.

I'll probably get around to owning one in the next decade. Under $2K
for a hand built machine that makes your neighbor's 35K HD lampshade
look like a pedestrian vehicle is a bargain. ;-)

On Dec 8, 10:36 am, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Per landotter:
>
> >Here's the Danish site, it took a while to scare up:

> >http://www.pedersenbicycle.dk/

> After reading about all the advantages of upright posture on the
> Pederson bikes, I got a grin out of this:http://www.pedersenbicycle.dk/mellerup.jpg
> --

It appears as if the point where the head tube, top tubes and down
tubes converge is poised to pierce the rider right below the sternum
in case of a crash.
:-((

On Dec 8, 1:37 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 11:36:29 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Per landotter:
> >>Here's the Danish site, it took a while to scare up:

> >>http://www.pedersenbicycle.dk/

> >After reading about all the advantages of upright posture on the
> >Pedersen bikes, I got a grin out of this:
> >http://www.pedersenbicycle.dk/mellerup.jpg

> Dear Pete,
>
> Pedersen riders grin at themselves:
>
> http://www.dursley-pedersen.co.uk/pedersentreffen/hillclimb.html

Brilliant! I have to say, the two riders I've met on them have seemed
to be hearty and humorous. They're likely aware that they're being a
bit silly--but what harm is in that?

wrote:

>Per landotter:
>>Here's the Danish site, it took a while to scare up:
>>
>>http://www.pedersenbicycle.dk/

>After reading about all the advantages of upright posture on the
>Pederson bikes, I got a grin out of this:
>http://www.pedersenbicycle.dk/mellerup.jpg

Dear Pete,

To be fair, Pedersen riders could actually tuck in a bit more:

http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/racer_pedersen_img/dp_cykelrytter_gammel.jpg

Some details of the racers:

http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/racing_goss_green.html

Cheers,