Stiffer Wheel? or More PSI Tire?

Peter@vecchios said:
Teeny point but as a retired USN 'Fighter Pilot', in the age of jets, when they were made as jets, not just prop planes with a jet engine and poor avionics, it is actually pretty rare to get vertigo that bad. You are trained from day one, learning to fly in the clag, to trust you instruments. The 'modern' instruments, at least in the F-4, A-4, F-16N(USN adversary type) and F-14 the avionics were very good, reliable and altho uncomfortable sometimes, you came otta the clouds right side up. Now in the earlier WWI and WWII prop days, when all ya had was a turn and bank needle and ball, it happened quite often.

There were quite a few F-16's that went in, this way, as a result of a faulty instrument, which was the result of wire chaffing. I wasn't implying or saying that this was an everyday occurrence or even an every year occurrence. I was using the example to point out just how wrong the human sensor can be. I didn't say anything about Naval Aviators.

531Aussie said:
I was sayin to the other Aussies that cycling could do with a version of Top Gear, and it just dawned on me that you could host it

thumb.gif
Awesome... Alienator, BroDeal, who else?

alienator said:
Iffin' I were you, I'd be using 25's front and back, prolly in the range of 110-115 psi or so. At what pressures did you run your "experiment?"
I ran the Conti at 120psi and the Vittoria at 115psi.

I like to run 25's with 23's, as 25 on the front and back, while uber-comfortable, tend to be slower.

531Aussie said:
I you want the gig, just ask :D

If someone's willing to pay me and cover any potential injuries, I'm up for it. I'm always up for any potential for a new scar or two.

alienator said:
There were quite a few F-16's that went in, this way, as a result of a faulty instrument, which was the result of wire chaffing. I wasn't implying or saying that this was an everyday occurrence or even an every year occurrence. I was using the example to point out just how wrong the human sensor can be. I didn't say anything about Naval Aviators.

I didn't think you were talking about Naval Aviators, but 'jet pilots'. My squadron(after I left, VF-126) lost an F-16 for the reason you mentioned.

Say, Alienator, didn't they deliberately start putting narrower tubes on racing motorcycle forks so that the wheel would be free to give sideways a bit and a bump couldn't knock the wheel clean off the pavement while cornering?

garage sale GT said:
Say, Alienator, didn't they deliberately start putting narrower tubes on racing motorcycle forks so that the wheel would be free to give sideways a bit and a bump couldn't knock the wheel clean off the pavement while cornering?

Actually, with at least road bikes, when radial tires came on scene, they had to be stiffened up since the short radial sidewalls tended to not maintain a good tire profile.

Actually you bring up a great point. Absolutely rigid bike wheels would suck big eggs in bumpy corners. The wheels need some lateral flex to track consistently in sub-optimal corners.

Peter@vecchios said:
I didn't think you were talking about Naval Aviators, but 'jet pilots'. My squadron(after I left, VF-126) lost an F-16 for the reason you mentioned.
Sorry to hijack the thread but I did not realize that the US Navy flew F-16 fighters. I thought that it was an Air Force aircraft and that the Navy used F-14s (now retired) and F-18s. I was only there for 11 years but never once did I see a USN F-16. Was I missing something?

alienator said:
  1. Scott Russell, AMA Superbike Champ, 5 time Daytona 200 winner, WSBK champ, ex Grand Prix rider (from the 500cc two stroke days). One year at Daytona, Scott was having difficulty getting up to speed, and he swore it was because his rear shock spring wasn't working as well as everyone else's. So, he told his chief Mechanic, Rob Muzzy, that he wanted the same colored spring as all those going faster than him. Muzzy obliged Russell, but not as you think: he painted Russell's rear spring the same color as that which the faster guys were using. Result? Russell went to the top of the charts. For those playing at home, does anyone want to guess how much more a rear shock spring on a superbike moves compared to the lateral movement of a bike rim?
I'm surprised that his mechanic didn't tell him to shut the hell up with the reminder that if he wanted more input on shock and spring combos then his ass better be up at o'dark 30 to go view tests of shocks on the dyno. I'm surprised given Russells past that he's like that...

As for someone who was experiementing with thinner tires on the front and fatties on the back - just buy the Conti attack/force combo and have done with it. They work pretty darn good. I prefer them the to GP4000s but they're not quite as grippy as the Michelins Pro Race...

kdelong said:
Sorry to hijack the thread but I did not realize that the US Navy flew F-16 fighters. I thought that it was an Air Force aircraft and that the Navy used F-14s (now retired) and F-18s. I was only there for 11 years but never once did I see a USN F-16. Was I missing something?

During the era of Duke Cunningham, the USN bought 26 F-16'N' models for use as adversary aircraft only. VF-126(my squadron) had 6, TopGun had 8, VF-43 in Virginia Beach had 6 and VA-45 in KeyWest had 6. Around from the late 80s thru about mid 90s when the active duty adversary squadrons were dis- established in favor or reserve squadrons(VFC-12 and 13). It was a 'C model airframe with -110 engine, Early 'C' model cockpit but 'A' model radar, no gun, limited avionics. It was also an attept to make the F-20 from Northrop seem less attractive for overseas customer, it worked, F-20 was never produced.

I also owned single seat A-4s, E, F, F+, and M models, another great little jet.