Stiffest Wheels

Andy7

Jul 16, 2006
Anyone no for a good STIFF wheel's, i was thinking Cane Creek Velos, Mavic Cosmos...

I've just sold a pair of Shimano dura-ace wh-7801 i could make the rear tyre brush the left chainstay when i put the power down as there is not much gap on my Boreas, they spin fast but mine seem to flex.

Andy7 said:
I've just sold a pair of Shimano dura-ace wh-7801 i could make the rear tyre brush the left chainstay when i put the power down as there is not much gap on my Boreas, they spin fast but mine seem to flex.
Andy, How old were your wheels ? mine are 6mths old and I've never been able to make the flex like you describe. As I ride early in the morning or at night I've ridden over all manner of things such as potholes, large tree branches and the wheels are still perfectly true. Also out of the saddle in the 53 I don't feel any of the flex you have had. I weigh about 165lbs.

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/cycle/seh/nl/en/news___info/news/dura-ace_aluminum.html

These are my wheels, were yours the same

shimanowh-7801.jpg

li0scc0 said:
Yes and no. Looks like the Rolf's and Campy's with low spoke counts are also very stiff. No surprise on the Campy's as they are fabulous wheels.

There are definitely exceptions but what are they being used for and how reliable do they need to be.

Are you able to tell the difference between a wheel that flexes 1.5mm and 2.0mm? Or would most of the "feel" be due to weight of the wheel and tyre flex?
Deep dish, low spoke wheels tend to have heavier rims (unless you have the $ for carbon) to reduce flex thus adding weight at the wrong place.

I have put a light wheel from a single bike on the front of the tandem when I entered in a 10k time trial with a mate. Back when they used to be held at Terry Hills. With 2 guys reefing on the bars and pedals during the start I was watching the front wheel flex from side to side and wondering if it would break. We finished 12 1/2 mins later, but thats the only time that I've been aware that the wheel flexed.

Cheers

Geoff

Cheers

Geoff

Hi, mine were the 2006 Shimano dura-ace wh-7801,
don't get me wrong i liked the wheels spin fast it was just when i put max effort on a steep hill and look down i could see the back wheel moveing to the left the right side seem ok, it could be just a one off, i have now sold mine and now have cane creek velos and they seem fine, the weight is a bit more as they have 28 spokes in the rear to dura-ace's 20.

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/cycle/seh/nl/en/news___info/news/dura-ace_aluminum.html

These are my wheels, were yours the same

shimanowh-7801.jpg
[/QUOTE]