Still Dialing in Strada with M5

stratrider

Guest
Now in my second season with my Strada I find myself still dialing in
the steering and seat position and angle. Towards the end of last
season I cut off about 1 inch of riser from the steering assembly (at
the suggestion of Jude, the wheel doctor). Last night I cut off
another inch. I am getting close. Just a few weeks ago I raised the
angle on the M5 seat a bit. I think I may have been too aggressive to
fast in my desire to lay the seat back! I am definitely feeling more
secure in this slightly more upright position. As I look forward, I
wonder if others are having similar experiences dialin in their high
racer.

Jim Reilly
Reading, PA

On Fri, 07 May 2004 08:10:49 -0700, stratrider wrote:

> Now in my second season with my Strada I find myself still dialing in
> the steering and seat position and angle. Towards the end of last
> season I cut off about 1 inch of riser from the steering assembly (at
> the suggestion of Jude, the wheel doctor). Last night I cut off
> another inch. I am getting close. Just a few weeks ago I raised the
> angle on the M5 seat a bit. I think I may have been too aggressive to
> fast in my desire to lay the seat back! I am definitely feeling more
> secure in this slightly more upright position. As I look forward, I
> wonder if others are having similar experiences dialin in their high
> racer.
>
> Jim Reilly
> Reading, PA

Hey Jim i've got 900 miles on my Aero, I said at the time
i bought it that i would not change anything until i put
1000 miles on it. I like to tinker... that said i am thinking
of adjusting the position of the bars. my legs are long
compared to my upper body and this makes for a very
streched out position for my arms, which gets a little
tiresome after about 50 miles.
Regards Daniel in SE Pa.

[email protected] (stratrider) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Now in my second season with my Strada I find myself still dialing in
> the steering and seat position and angle. Towards the end of last
> season I cut off about 1 inch of riser from the steering assembly (at
> the suggestion of Jude, the wheel doctor). Last night I cut off
> another inch. I am getting close. Just a few weeks ago I raised the
> angle on the M5 seat a bit. I think I may have been too aggressive to
> fast in my desire to lay the seat back! I am definitely feeling more
> secure in this slightly more upright position. As I look forward, I
> wonder if others are having similar experiences dialin in their high
> racer.
>
> Jim Reilly
> Reading, PA

Regarding your increased comfort level with a more upright seat
position, I have a P-38 which is a very upright seat, with hardly any
range to adjust the seat back. I like this position for hill climbing.
But as I get older I have found myself wishing that I could recline
the seat further back, particularily on long rides, to minimize
compression on my spine. When I had a V-2 I really enjoyed the range
it offered. Because it was easy to recline, I would change it during
rides, which really helped to lessen fatigue and back soreness.
Whether the seat is upright or reclined, I wish there were easily
installed head rests available.

Daniel Payne <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Hey Jim i've got 900 miles on my Aero, I said at the time
> i bought it that i would not change anything until i put
> 1000 miles on it. I like to tinker... that said i am thinking
> of adjusting the position of the bars. my legs are long
> compared to my upper body and this makes for a very
> streched out position for my arms, which gets a little
> tiresome after about 50 miles.
> Regards Daniel in SE Pa.

Hey Dan.... Saw you posting reply to my little dissertation on my
Strada. I am jealous! The Aero was beyond my budget (that is
assuming I wanted to stay married!). It would be great to hook up and
ride together some weekend. I ride a number of various loops through
Amish Country. Another ride I enjoy though I haven't ridden there yet
this year is taking the Schuylkill River Trail from Oaks/Audobon to
Boathouse Row, Fairmont Park, and the Art Museum and back. Let me
know if you're interested in riding some weekend. Saturdays are best
for me. You can email me at [email protected].

Jim