Still looking for sensible, neat looking, comfortable bicycle touring shorts

Guest
Every year or so I post this query, looking for neat, trim fitting (but not
tight) biking shorts. I'd like them to look like hiking shorts,
tan-colored, with front and rear pockets. Would also like chamois or
ultra-suede-like crotch with little or no padding. No long tight black
lycra or baggy double shelled - these just don't make sense to me.

Nike used to make some touring shorts like the ones I described above but
the ones I had are long gone. My wife has converted some Sportif (cotton,
poly, spandex) hiking shorts, using crotch pads that Performance Bicycle
used market but I don't see these available from Performance any more. I
guess we could use an old crotch pad as a pattern.

If anyone can recommend some biking shorts like I've described or a good
source for ready-made crotch pads I'd appreciate it.

TIA

LB

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
Every year or so I post this query, looking for neat, trim fitting (but not
tight) biking shorts. I'd like them to look like hiking shorts,
tan-colored, with front and rear pockets. Would also like chamois or
ultra-suede-like crotch with little or no padding. No long tight black
lycra or baggy double shelled - these just don't make sense to me.

Nike used to make some touring shorts like the ones I described above but
the ones I had are long gone. My wife has converted some Sportif (cotton,
poly, spandex) hiking shorts, using crotch pads that Performance Bicycle
used market but I don't see these available from Performance any more. I
guess we could use an old crotch pad as a pattern.

If anyone can recommend some biking shorts like I've described or a good
source for ready-made crotch pads I'd appreciate it.

TIA

Primal Wear makes them. Performance usually carries em, but you can check
Primal Wear's website. Also, Performance has these:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=18792&subcategory_ID=1122#

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 03:57:50 GMT, "Gooserider" <[email protected]>
wrote:

><[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>Every year or so I post this query, looking for neat, trim fitting (but not
>tight) biking shorts. I'd like them to look like hiking shorts,
>tan-colored, with front and rear pockets. Would also like chamois or
>ultra-suede-like crotch with little or no padding. No long tight black
>lycra or baggy double shelled - these just don't make sense to me.
>
>Nike used to make some touring shorts like the ones I described above but
>the ones I had are long gone. My wife has converted some Sportif (cotton,
>poly, spandex) hiking shorts, using crotch pads that Performance Bicycle
>used market but I don't see these available from Performance any more. I
>guess we could use an old crotch pad as a pattern.
>
>If anyone can recommend some biking shorts like I've described or a good
>source for ready-made crotch pads I'd appreciate it.
>
>TIA
>
>Primal Wear makes them. Performance usually carries em, but you can check
>Primal Wear's website. Also, Performance has these:
>
>http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=18792&subcategory_ID=1122#

Thanks for the reply. But I guess I wasn't clear or complete about the
kind of shorts I'm looking for - comfortable, casual, for road bicycle
touring. Here's a better description:

1. trim fitting - not baggy or tight
2. inseam length medium - say 7-8 inches
3. stretchy, comfortable
4. light colored - prefer tan or khaki
5. pockets front and rear
6. built in crotch of chamois or ultra-suede - little or no padding

No off road baggy/shell types or tight black lycra.

I don't think these exist any more but would sure like to hear if they do!

Am I really the only one looking for shorts like these???

LB

> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 03:57:50 GMT, "Gooserider" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> ><[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >Every year or so I post this query, looking for neat, trim fitting (but not
> >tight) biking shorts. I'd like them to look like hiking shorts,
> >tan-colored, with front and rear pockets. Would also like chamois or
> >ultra-suede-like crotch with little or no padding. No long tight black
> >lycra or baggy double shelled - these just don't make sense to me.
> >
> >Nike used to make some touring shorts like the ones I described above but
> >the ones I had are long gone. My wife has converted some Sportif (cotton,
> >poly, spandex) hiking shorts, using crotch pads that Performance Bicycle
> >used market but I don't see these available from Performance any more. I
> >guess we could use an old crotch pad as a pattern.
> >
> >If anyone can recommend some biking shorts like I've described or a good
> >source for ready-made crotch pads I'd appreciate it.
> >
> >TIA
> >
> >Primal Wear makes them. Performance usually carries em, but you can check
> >Primal Wear's website. Also, Performance has these:
> >
> >http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=18792&subcategory
> >ID=1122#
> >

> Thanks for the reply. But I guess I wasn't clear or complete about the
> kind of shorts I'm looking for - comfortable, casual, for road bicycle
> touring. Here's a better description:
>
> 1. trim fitting - not baggy or tight
> 2. inseam length medium - say 7-8 inches
> 3. stretchy, comfortable
> 4. light colored - prefer tan or khaki
> 5. pockets front and rear
> 6. built in crotch of chamois or ultra-suede - little or no padding
>
> No off road baggy/shell types or tight black lycra.
>
> I don't think these exist any more but would sure like to hear if they do!
>
> Am I really the only one looking for shorts like these???

Probably yes, if only because I'm not sure what kind of short you want
in an intermediate cut between mountain bike shorts with pockets (like
the ones I have, which happen to be from Nakamura, and which aren't
particularly baggy), and bike shorts.

However, if you can find the same thing without a liner, bliss is yours.
MEC doesn't show it online, but they sell a sew-in bike liner, basically
a very light undergarment with synthetic chamois, designed to be worn
either as underwear with your favourite non-cycling bottom half*, or to
be sewn into a garment to convert it.

*clothing!

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com