Still Own A Singlespeed?

egrocket

May 14, 2015
Are there any avid bikers out there that still own a singlespeed? Obviously this wouldn't be your main bike, but I'm curious to know if there is anyone who bikes as much as I do, but still has a singlespeed bike. I use my single speed for road biking in my neighborhood (with my wife usually.) I usually do not ride this bike for more than 10 minutes.

My main road bike is currently a 1978 Motobecane converted to single speed. I just arrived home from a nice ride and got on the forum to poke around. Then I saw this thread...LOL. I like geared bikes too, but I do love the simplicity of my steel single speed.

Singlespeed is the way to go for many applications, for me it's on my dirt jumper. I remember when I had to buy a special tensioner about over a decade ago back when your average affordable mountain bike never ever had horizontal drop outs.
Riding buddy also has a beat up old fixie I will take out once in a while too. Something about that chain tension that you just can't match on a geared bike and no matter the condition the fixed gear can always be tight and ready to ride. I love what's going on with bike transmission technology, but I doubt you will see the trusty singlespeed only get more popular as bikes get more popular

Fetish Discipline.jpgSometimes you can do it without the tensioner if you find that magic gear ratio....

No, I don't have a single speed. In fact, I have no bike of my own now and I am planning to buy one. For economic reasons, the single speed is still in fashion here. They are the old ones, still running good despite the rusty frame. The 10-speed is quite expensive. I remember the first non-single speed I handled. It had 3 gears. It was kind of heavy in the 3rd gear so I had to start in gear 1. Anyway, I guess the single speed is here to say.

Oh yeah, I still own a single speed. It's a vanity bike from the local bicycle shop with huge wheels that's a pastel turquoise color :lol: It has a pretty thin frame, and the spokes are sparse, but it's a lovely thing to look at and ride, it's got nice-handling too, due to the handle-bars.

To be honest, I ride my single-speed more often than my secondary bike - which a lot of people question, but hey. What can I say? I'm more of a casual rider.

The first bike my parents bought me was a singlespeed. I absolutely hated that bike as it was uncomfortable and difficult to ride. All the other kids at school owned cool BMX's and 12-speed bicycles which made me very envious. Therefore I hardly ever rode it, my folks got the message and eventually sold it and got me a BMX for my next birthday. I certainly enjoyed the BMX but I already started saving up for a 12-speed as this was what the older kids were riding.

I don't have my single speed black Schwinn bike anymore. I sold it many years ago for pennies on the dollar, but I wish I hadn't done that. The simplicity and good work out I got when riding it, was nothing like any bike I had since.

I'll never forget the time my ex-husband, my son, and I went on a 60 mile ride. They had their 10-speeds and I had my old clunky bike. In fact, when I bought that bike it was old, used and beat up badly. But, it worked and it worked for me! Guess who arrived at our destination first. Yep... me. I wasn't out of breath and they were huffing and puffing and acting like they were on their last leg. :rolleyes:

Since selling it years ago, I've had other bikes, purchased brand new. But, my single speed was my favorite bike.

Still got mine, though I don't ride it much anymore. It's a mid-60s Frejus track frame, fixed gear with a front brake, and I put too much love into it to part with it. I haven't been able to decide whether to use it as a commuter or for quickie 20-mile workouts. It's the pedals, y'know.

I still have my old single speed bicycle in the garage as a spare bike in case a tire breaks or I need to do some bigger maintenance to my bike.

I really miss having a single-speed. I used to have them when I was a kid, of course. My dad would actually find ones with slightly bent frames or poking out spokes at the dump, back when our local one let people pick through and take things for free, and he'd bring them home, fix them up, and give them to us kids. These days I don't have one, but I do really miss the simple maintenance of it.

I have a singlespeed, but it's mainly more about the way it looks than anything. It's got the long handle bars and big wheels. It's so cute with it's blue and white paint job and definitely gives of an early fifties feel. I love my bike, it may not go fast, and the wheel may get a little unhinged every once in a while, but she gets the job done. ☺

My bike is has a flip flop hub so I can go fixie or single speed when I want. My mind isn't too sharp when it comes to riding so although I wouldn't mind having gears, I just feel I wouldn't be great at that type of riding. My SS/fixie is perfect for my long rides in the burbs and my daily commutes in the city.

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
My bike is has a flip flop hub so I can go fixie or single speed when I want. My mind isn't too sharp when it comes to riding so although I wouldn't mind having gears, I just feel I wouldn't be great at that type of riding. My SS/fixie is perfect for my long rides in the burbs and my daily commutes in the city.

How often do you find yourself flipping it? Which side is your default or go to side?
I have always wanted a flip flop, specifically a Marin Hamilton
but just never really had the dough or had other things I wanted more.

Reactions: rEEzytheKiD
How often do you find yourself flipping it? Which side is your default or go to side?
I have always wanted a flip flop, specifically a Marin Hamilton
but just never really had the dough or had other things I wanted more.
I guess I keep it more on the fixed side for the work out. I probably switch it over every other week for the variety and sometimes there's nothing like coasting. I use a front break no matter what but do with out my pedal straps while riding single speed because very often I've had to fall over with the bike when someone is being a turd in traffic.

I guess I keep it more on the fixed side for the work out. I probably switch it over every other week for the variety and sometimes there's nothing like coasting. I use a front break no matter what but do with out my pedal straps while riding single speed because very often I've had to fall over with the bike when someone is being a turd in traffic.

Haha turds in traffic are very common are they not??
But good call on keeping the front brake, just fixie with no brake is a death trap.

Yeah my friends are drinkers and they all think they're awesome at riding without brakes. I've had to respond to so many accident calls and everytime it's the drivers fault. I can believe that a driver was to blame sometimes but you mean to tell me everytime you're riding drunk with no brakes it's the drivers fault?