Still Own A Singlespeed?

I sure do, and I am holding on to it for when my son gets to be old enough to ride it. We are not quite there yet, and he is still growing and I am thinking about one or two more years, but I will be super excited when I see that day and I already have my camera ready. I still get some use out of it personally, but not that much, but I am just glad that it will be going to a nice young man.

Reactions: Jcycle
I used to own several but not anymore. Kind of gotten boring of it so I gave them a way to my family and friends in need.

I never owned a big like that one, but all my bikes are BMX style, and obviously single speed. I can't do gears because I still find it confusing, and the bike is to big anyways.

I don't like being passed up by mountain bikers though, I remember riding down the street one day and this guy passed me, but he was peddling much slower than me.

I was so confused until I learned that bigger bikes means bigger wheels, which also means more distance covered in a shorter amount of time, even with the same pedaling speed as someone who is on a smaller bike.

Just an update: Been riding my single speed on a 17 mile loop, great training ride, fun winter bike (as long as the roads are clean and snow free), makes me work harder on the hills, but I think it will improve my fitness level overall.

Just an update: Been riding my single speed on a 17 mile loop, great training ride, fun winter bike (as long as the roads are clean and snow free), makes me work harder on the hills, but I think it will improve my fitness level overall.

I will tend to ride my single speed more in the winter when the roads are wet and dirty, because it's far quicker and easier to clean than the road bike.

I still got my old Haro BMX bike and it's still shiny with no rust at all. My kids ride it now but when no one's looking I still take it out for a spin nearby. For a long time I've used it, in running errands in nearby stores, I'm more comfortable using it then in short distances. Nowadays I seldom use it, my kids are the ones enjoying it.

To reduce wear/easier maintenance/less costs, I started to ride a singlespeed 52/16, now about 7 years ago. 2.5 years ago, I also digged the remaining tech, the freewheel, because in winter it frooze and in heavy rain the springs suddenly failed to return the sticky pawls. (=end of riding, freewheel in both directions).
Since, I ride a fixed gear, with an 'empty' (default luggage) weight of 25 kg. The 3 drive train components 1/8", extra heavy chain (550 grammes), extra thick sprocket teeth. I'm now riding 8 months, 15000 km with the same drivetrain components, and as it looks like, a whole year without replacement should be doable. The years with 4 chain, 2 rear cassettes, 1 chainring replacements, are long gone.
Braking, that's just pushing back.
Balancing, much easier, since you have support on both pedals instead of just the front spinning one.
Only drawback: don't turn sharp corners, a pedal may strike the ground and you're thrown somewhere you didn't intend to be.