Still Own A Singlespeed?

egrocket

May 14, 2015
Are there any avid bikers out there that still own a singlespeed? Obviously this wouldn't be your main bike, but I'm curious to know if there is anyone who bikes as much as I do, but still has a singlespeed bike. I use my single speed for road biking in my neighborhood (with my wife usually.) I usually do not ride this bike for more than 10 minutes.

I used to have one but once I got my mountain bike I kind of ditched the whole set up. It was reliable though. Not sure where it is at the moment but will probably look for it at some point in the summer.

Before I had my present mountain bike, my single speed was already rusty but still giving me good mileage. I didn't think that I would be buying a mountain bike because it was kind of expensive at $200. That's big money here, you know and I am just an enthusiast and not a pro cyclist. Anyway, my single speed was still good so I am keeping it in the storage.

My current bike is a single speed cruiser. I'm not a big fan of it. I live in a rather hilly part of town and the bike is a little bit too short for me so getting anywhere on it is hell on my knees. I usually need to ride it a few miles but it's really hard.

I think part of the problem is my bike is so old and low quality so a better single speed would be great. I don't know that I should be trying to ride in hilly areas with one. When I move into downtown, I should have an easier time. I won't have to ride as far and the downtown part of my town is pretty flat.

Catsyo said:
My current bike is a single speed cruiser. I'm not a big fan of it. I live in a rather hilly part of town and the bike is a little bit too short for me so getting anywhere on it is hell on my knees. I usually need to ride it a few miles but it's really hard.

I think part of the problem is my bike is so old and low quality so a better single speed would be great. I don't know that I should be trying to ride in hilly areas with one. When I move into downtown, I should have an easier time. I won't have to ride as far and the downtown part of my town is pretty flat.
FYI. You don't have to wait until you move to give your knees some relief ...

Presuming you have previously extended the height of your saddle to the maximum height which the post allows (there is usually a "safety" line a couple of inches from the bottom) ...

You CAN buy a longer a seatpost for your bike ...

You will need to know the diameter of your current seatpost ... often, the size is stamped on the seatpost .. .

You should be able to buy a replacement seatpost on eBay (as long as you know the size) if your LBS doesn't have one OR if they want more than you want to spend.

alfeng said:
FYI. You don't have to wait until you move to give your knees some relief ...
I actually didn't know this, thanks. I already raised the seat post as much as I could when I got the bike but it was still too short. It's a hand me down bike so it wasn't purchased for someone as tall a me. I'll definitely find the diameter of the seat post and see about getting another. I still probably have to wait til after I move because I'm going to be really busy until then. I'm planning on getting a newer bike but having the option to keep the cruiser around for shorter trips down the street is great for me.