still squeeeeling...

Scribe2b

Guest
changed from avids to xt. new green ceramic-specific pads. cleaned the rim. oiled the spacers.
careful adjust. SQUAWWWWWK. i think i'll just get a whistle to blow, and try for some melody jc

[email protected] (Scribe2b) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> changed from avids to xt. new green ceramic-specific pads. cleaned the rim. oiled the spacers.
> careful adjust. SQUAWWWWWK. i think i'll just get a whistle to blow, and try for some melody jc

Try a brake booster. Try toe-in. Try the brakes and wheels on a different bike.

Jeff

"Scribe2b" <[email protected]> wrote:

> oiled the spacers.

What`s the purpose of oiling spacers? Leaking oil can easily make your pads dirty.

Regards, Grzesiek Z.

In article <[email protected]>, Scribe2b <[email protected]> wrote:
>changed from avids to xt. new green ceramic-specific pads. cleaned the rim. oiled the spacers.
>careful adjust. SQUAWWWWWK.

Pay a shop to adjust it. That is, don't pay until it doesn't squeak. :)

Are you squealing both front and back?

Especially on a rear, a "brake booster" can sometimes help. For example this carpet fiber
beauty @ $6

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=2161

--Paul

Did you try toe. I had let my bike sit due to injury. And when I rode it again the brakes
squeeeeled. I toed and adjusted the pads right on the trail and everything was fine.

Fire up MTB 03

"Grzegorz Zychowicz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> What`s the purpose of oiling spacers? Leaking oil can easily make your pads dirty.

Brake shoe holders which rely on mating curved spacers for shoe adjustment adjust more easily and
fit together better ( which damps vibration) when they are oiled. It's even more helpful to lube the
threads which pull the shoe tight to the brake.

You make a good point about errant oil on the pads/rim.