still squeeeeling...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Scribe2b, Jan 29, 2003.

  1. Scribe2b

    Scribe2b Guest

    changed from avids to xt. new green ceramic-specific pads. cleaned the rim. oiled the spacers.
    careful adjust. SQUAWWWWWK. i think i'll just get a whistle to blow, and try for some melody jc

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Scribe2b) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > changed from avids to xt. new green ceramic-specific pads. cleaned the rim. oiled the spacers.
    > careful adjust. SQUAWWWWWK. i think i'll just get a whistle to blow, and try for some melody jc

    Try a brake booster. Try toe-in. Try the brakes and wheels on a different bike.

    Jeff

  3. "Scribe2b" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > oiled the spacers.

    What`s the purpose of oiling spacers? Leaking oil can easily make your pads dirty.

    Regards, Grzesiek Z.

  4. In article <[email protected]>, Scribe2b <[email protected]> wrote:
    >changed from avids to xt. new green ceramic-specific pads. cleaned the rim. oiled the spacers.
    >careful adjust. SQUAWWWWWK.

    Pay a shop to adjust it. That is, don't pay until it doesn't squeak. :)

    Are you squealing both front and back?

    Especially on a rear, a "brake booster" can sometimes help. For example this carpet fiber
    beauty @ $6

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=2161

    --Paul

  5. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Did you try toe. I had let my bike sit due to injury. And when I rode it again the brakes
    squeeeeled. I toed and adjusted the pads right on the trail and everything was fine.

    Fire up MTB 03

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Grzegorz Zychowicz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What`s the purpose of oiling spacers? Leaking oil can easily make your pads dirty.

    Brake shoe holders which rely on mating curved spacers for shoe adjustment adjust more easily and
    fit together better ( which damps vibration) when they are oiled. It's even more helpful to lube the
    threads which pull the shoe tight to the brake.

    You make a good point about errant oil on the pads/rim.