Still think hikers and mountain bikers have the same impact? Try to HIKE 86.1 miles in a day!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mike Vandeman, Jun 15, 2003.

  1. Still think hikers and mountain bikers have the same impact? Try to HIKE 86.1 miles in a day!

    Mike

    Jun 2003 00:53:45 -0500 From: "Bob Bournique" <[email protected]> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003
    22:53:44 -0700 Subject: Dumb and Dumber: Country cousin

    Yeehaw! We rode 86.1dirt miles today. Boy, is my butt tired!

    We started late, we took wrong turns, Bob got lost. It was a wild and crazy one. Thanks to all that
    came out and I hope you all enjoyed it.

    Funny thing, I posted this ride 2 months ago and it filled up within 10 hours at the 15 person max.
    Then, I had people practially begging(well, some actually
    did) to up it and take them too. But, today, under beautiful weather conditions, we only had 6. The
    up side of it was that we were able to keep moving and had 33 miles in by the time we got to
    Remlinger Farms.

    No mechanicals we were not able to fix and not major injuries. ONe close up black bear siting and
    one scary, no food deja vu visit back to the MS rest stop in the back of Griffin Creek Road.
    (Don't ask.)

    All in all, damn country fun and I'm already looking forward to the dirt century next year.

    Thanks again!

    Bob

    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    Tags:

  2. >Still think hikers and mountain bikers have the same impact? Try to HIKE 86.1 miles in a day!

    >Mike

    do you ever stop????

  3. Cameron

    Cameron Guest

    "Humongojugomango" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >Still think hikers and mountain bikers have the same impact? Try to HIKE 86.1 miles in a day!
    > >
    > >Mike
    >
    > do you ever stop????

    Unfortunately, no.

    I don't think he realizes that the "trails" Bob rode involves dirt roads and converted rail-trail.
    Plus some single. I've ridden out there during the 2000 MS ride. I guess mountain bikes do more
    damage than trains. ;-)

    --
    Cameron

  4. Cameron

    Cameron Guest

    "Humongojugomango" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >I don't think he realizes that the "trails" Bob rode involves dirt roads and converted
    > >rail-trail. Plus some single. I've ridden out there during the 2000 MS ride. I guess mountain
    > >bikes do more damage than trains. ;-)
    > >

    > i think the trains only damage would be a one-time thing(when the tracks are laid) and the damage
    > per run diminishes as more runs are made across said tracks...

    But considering the size, speed, and noise of a train, how many animals die per car? Isn't that
    M.V.'s point?

    > and theres nothing more beautiful than an old abandoned trestle that has been overgrown with
    > vegetation.....

    Except watching someone trying to walk across one....

  5. On 15 Jun 2003 16:07:40 GMT, [email protected] (Humongojugomango) wrote:

    .> .>Still think hikers and mountain bikers have the same impact? Try to HIKE 86.1 .>miles in a day!
    .> .>Mike . .do you ever stop????

    What are you talking about?
    ===

  6. On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:07:27 GMT, "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote:

    . ."Humongojugomango" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... .> > .> >Still think hikers and mountain
    bikers have the same impact? Try to HIKE 86.1 .> >miles in a day! .> > .> >Mike .> .> do you ever
    stop???? . .Unfortunately, no. . .I don't think he realizes that the "trails" Bob rode involves dirt
    roads and converted rail-trail. .Plus some single. I've ridden out there during the 2000 MS ride. I
    guess mountain bikes do .more damage than trains. ;-)

    You completely missed the point. This isn't the only place where mountain bikers travel several
    times as far as hikers. In fact, they do it EVERYWHERE.
    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  7. Cameron

    Cameron Guest

    > On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:07:27 GMT, "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > . ."Humongojugomango" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]... .> > .> >Still think hikers and mountain
    > bikers have the same impact? Try to HIKE 86.1 .> >miles in a day! .> > .> >Mike .> .> do you ever
    > stop???? . .Unfortunately, no. . .I don't think he realizes that the "trails" Bob rode involves
    > dirt roads and converted rail-trail. .Plus some single. I've ridden out there during the 2000 MS
    > ride. I guess mountain bikes do .more damage than trains. ;-)
    >
    > You completely missed the point. This isn't the only place where mountain bikers travel several
    > times as far as hikers. In fact, they do it EVERYWHERE.

    Uh, Mike, we're talking about western WA here. Out of all the trails around here it's harder to find
    trails that are open to mountain bikes than closed. Or did you even bother to check your facts?
    Sorry, dumb question. You never do.

  8. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Still think hikers and mountain bikers have the same impact? Try to HIKE 86.1 miles in a day!
    >
    > Mike

    86.1 miles .... what a bunch of pansies .....

    http://www.ws100.com/

    http://www.ws100.com/webcast/wstrail.htm

    or

    http://www.ultrarunner.org/rr/rrindex.htm

    or

    http://www.coolrunning.com.au/ultra/glasshouse/glassh25.shtml

    or

    http://www.bighorntrailrun.com/

    or

    http://www.ncroadrunners.org/umstead/

    or

    http://www.marathonclubkassel.de/

    or

    http://www.vhtrc.org/mmt/

    Most mountainbikers don't go nearly far enough ... besides they are fun to pass on the up hills when
    I am out on a run.

  9. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    VP <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BB138E00.42121%[email protected]>...
    > Reco Diver,
    >
    > > 86.1 miles .... what a bunch of pansies .....
    >
    > 267 km (c. 165 miles) Paris to London (plus missing the ferry) in a day. Biking into London was
    > strange. Hoodlums abound.

    Missed the ferry? Did you swim the channel with your bike on your back .... now that would
    be epic. ;-)

  10. Gary S .

    Gary S . Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:59:15 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Still think hikers and mountain bikers have the same impact? Try to HIKE 86.1 miles in a day!

    How many mountain bikers can routinely do 86.1 miles in a day ride?

    I am more familiar with road biking, where the vast majority of people who own bikes generally do no
    more than 20-40 miles in a day. I cannot imagine that off road cyclists frequently do more mileage
    than that.

    Just as one cannot assume that the Tour de France is a typical ride for road cyclists, using extreme
    events and competitions as typical of mountain biking is poor logic, poor science, and deceitful.

    But you are far more interested in promoting your monomaniacal viewpoint than in being factual
    or accurate.

    Typical of someone who spends so much time trying to convince people he does not believe can be
    convinced. Who's the idiot?

    Happy trails, Gary (net.yogi.bear)

    Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA Please reply to: garyDOTschwartzATpoboxDOTcom

  11. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Gary S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:59:15 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Still think hikers and mountain bikers have the same impact? Try to HIKE
    86.1
    > >miles in a day!
    > >
    > How many mountain bikers can routinely do 86.1 miles in a day ride?
    >
    > I am more familiar with road biking, where the vast majority of people who own bikes generally do
    > no more than 20-40 miles in a day. I cannot imagine that off road cyclists frequently do more
    > mileage than that.

    [cut]

    I've never ridden my mountain bike the same distance as I've ridden my racing bike. Even if the
    elevation gained is the same, there's way more technique involved in mountain biking, and your heart
    rate goes up just for the technique. Plus, there's sand, rocks, roots, drop offs, etc. Mountain
    biking 86 miles in a day would be quite a feat. Plus, where do you go to even attempt this? The only
    places I've ever been, you couldn't bike that much even if you wanted to -- there are not 86 miles
    of trails.

    --
    Bob

  12. Gary S .

    Gary S . Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:49:34 GMT, "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Gary S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:59:15 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Still think hikers and mountain bikers have the same impact? Try to HIKE
    >86.1
    >> >miles in a day!
    >> >
    >> How many mountain bikers can routinely do 86.1 miles in a day ride?
    >>
    >> I am more familiar with road biking, where the vast majority of people who own bikes generally do
    >> no more than 20-40 miles in a day. I cannot imagine that off road cyclists frequently do more
    >> mileage than that.
    >>
    >I've never ridden my mountain bike the same distance as I've ridden my racing bike. Even if the
    >elevation gained is the same, there's way more technique involved in mountain biking, and your
    >heart rate goes up just for the technique. Plus, there's sand, rocks, roots, drop offs, etc.
    >Mountain biking 86 miles in a day would be quite a feat. Plus, where do you go to even attempt
    >this? The only places I've ever been, you couldn't bike that much even if you wanted to -- there
    >are not 86 miles of trails.

    I am sure there are places, as I am sure there are people, who can do this, although crossing a
    road or repeating are entirely possible. My point is that using this as typical of mountain
    biking is wrong.

    Happy trails, Gary (net.yogi.bear)

    Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA Please reply to: garyDOTschwartzATpoboxDOTcom

  13. Blech

    Blech Guest

    Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Still think hikers and mountain bikers have the same impact? Try to HIKE 86.1 miles in a day!
    >
    > Mike

    Mountain bikers aren't shitting in the wooods, setting up camp, building fires, leaving
    trash, etc, etc.

    > Jun 2003 00:53:45 -0500 From: "Bob Bournique" <[email protected]> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003
    > 22:53:44 -0700 Subject: Dumb and Dumber: Country cousin
    >
    > Yeehaw! We rode 86.1dirt miles today. Boy, is my butt tired!
    >
    > We started late, we took wrong turns, Bob got lost. It was a wild and crazy one. Thanks to all
    > that came out and I hope you all enjoyed it.
    >
    > Funny thing, I posted this ride 2 months ago and it filled up within 10 hours at the 15 person
    > max. Then, I had people practially begging(well, some actually
    > did) to up it and take them too. But, today, under beautiful weather conditions, we only had 6.
    > The up side of it was that we were able to keep moving and had 33 miles in by the time we got
    > to Remlinger Farms.
    >
    > No mechanicals we were not able to fix and not major injuries. ONe close up black bear siting and
    > one scary, no food deja vu visit back to the MS rest stop in the back of Griffin Creek Road.
    > (Don't ask.)
    >
    > All in all, damn country fun and I'm already looking forward to the dirt century next year.
    >
    > Thanks again!
    >
    > Bob
    >
    > ===
    > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
    > help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
    >
    > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  14. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "blech" <[email protected]> wrote in message (doesn't matter)
    ******

    Hey, last we heard Darsh was rubbing you on his body to get rid of poison oak.

    Bill "and here I thought he meant vomit...silly me" S.

  15. "blech" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Still think hikers and mountain bikers have the same impact? Try to HIKE
    86.1
    > > miles in a day!
    > >
    > > Mike
    >
    > Mountain bikers aren't shitting in the wooods, setting up camp, building fires, leaving trash,
    > etc, etc.

    Sure they are, but they leave their piles 86 miles apart.

    Mike is full of crap. I drive a motor vehicle in the backcountry areas that he wants to close, and I
    have never gone 86 miles in a day, and all I have to do is push the pedals. I have had a long day if
    I go 20 miles offhighway.

  16. On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:31:42 GMT, Gary S. <[email protected]> wrote:

    .On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:59:15 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> .wrote: . .>Still think
    hikers and mountain bikers have the same impact? Try to HIKE 86.1 .>miles in a day! .> .How many
    mountain bikers can routinely do 86.1 miles in a day ride?

    A lot more than the number of hikers who can do 86.1 miles in a day.

    .I am more familiar with road biking, where the vast majority of people .who own bikes generally do
    no more than 20-40 miles in a day.

    Still several times as far as a hiker. Your point?

    .------------------------------------------------ .at the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence .

  17. On 17 Jun 2003 10:51:22 -0700, [email protected] (blech) wrote:

    .Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... .> Still think hikers and mountain bikers have
    the same impact? Try to HIKE 86.1 .> miles in a day! .> .> Mike . .Mountain bikers aren't shitting
    in the wooods, setting up camp, .building fires, leaving trash, etc, etc.

    Nor are day hikers.

    ===

  18. On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:49:34 GMT, "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote:

    . . ."Gary S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    .news:[email protected]... .> On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:59:15 GMT, Mike
    Vandeman <[email protected]> .> wrote: .> .> >Still think hikers and mountain bikers have the same
    impact? Try to HIKE .86.1 .> >miles in a day! .> > .> How many mountain bikers can routinely do 86.1
    miles in a day ride? .> .> I am more familiar with road biking, where the vast majority of people .>
    who own bikes generally do no more than 20-40 miles in a day. I cannot .> imagine that off road
    cyclists frequently do more mileage than that. .> .[cut] . .I've never ridden my mountain bike the
    same distance as I've ridden my .racing bike. Even if the elevation gained is the same, there's way
    more .technique involved in mountain biking, and your heart rate goes up just for .the technique.
    Plus, there's sand, rocks, roots, drop offs, etc. Mountain .biking 86 miles in a day would be quite
    a feat. Plus, where do you go to .even attempt this? The only places I've ever been, you couldn't
    bike that .much even if you wanted to -- there are not 86 miles of trails.

    Who said that they stay on trails?
    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  19. On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:24:25 GMT, Gary S. <[email protected]> wrote:

    .On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:49:34 GMT, "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote: . .>"Gary S."
    <[email protected]> wrote in message .>news:[email protected]... .>> On
[...]

    I never said it is typical. But riding several times as far as a hiker IS typical. I notice that no
    mountain bikers are volunteering to say how far they ride in a day....

    .Happy trails, .Gary (net.yogi.bear) .------------------------------------------------ .at the 51st
    percentile of ursine intelligence . .Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA .Please reply to:

  20. On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 06:23:33 GMT, "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote:

    . ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... .> On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:07:27 GMT, "Cameron"
    <[email protected]> wrote: .> .> . .> ."Humongojugomango" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]... .> .> > .> .> >Still think
    hikers and mountain bikers have the same impact? Try to HIKE 86.1 .> .> >miles in a day! .> .> > .>
    .> >Mike .> .> .> .> do you ever stop???? .> . .> .Unfortunately, no. .> . .> .I don't think he
    realizes that the "trails" Bob rode involves dirt roads and converted rail-trail. .> .Plus some
    single. I've ridden out there during the 2000 MS ride. I guess mountain bikes do .> .more damage
    than trains. ;-) .> .> You completely missed the point. This isn't the only place where mountain
    bikers .> travel several times as far as hikers. In fact, they do it EVERYWHERE. . .Uh, Mike, we're
    talking about western WA here. Out of all the trails around here it's harder .to find trails that
    are open to mountain bikes than closed. Or did you even bother to check .your facts? Sorry, dumb
    question. You never do.

    What does that have to do with anything? Mountain bikers still travel several times as far as
    hikers, WHETHER THEY STAY ON LEGAL TRAILS OR NOT!
    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande