Still think hikers and mountain bikers have the same impact? Try to HIKE 86.1 miles in a day!

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On 17 Jun 2003 10:51:22 -0700, [email protected] (blech) wrote:
>
> .Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>... .> Still think hikers and mountain bikers
> have the same impact? Try to HIKE 86.1 .> miles in a day! .> .> Mike . .Mountain bikers aren't
> shitting in the wooods, setting up camp, .building fires, leaving trash, etc, etc.
>
> Nor are day hikers.

Day hikers ARE shitting in the woods.

The proof is that you are full of ****.

> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:24:25 GMT, Gary S. <Idontwantspam@net> wrote:
>
> .On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:49:34 GMT, "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote: . .>"Gary S."
> <Idontwantspam@net> wrote in message .>news:[email protected]... .>> On
> Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:59:15 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> .>> wrote: .>> .>> >Still think
> hikers and mountain bikers have the same impact? Try to
HIKE
> .>86.1 .>> >miles in a day! .>> > .>> How many mountain bikers can routinely do 86.1 miles in a
> day ride? .>> .>> I am more familiar with road biking, where the vast majority of people .>> who
> own bikes generally do no more than 20-40 miles in a day. I cannot .>> imagine that off road
> cyclists frequently do more mileage than that. .>> .>I've never ridden my mountain bike the same
> distance as I've ridden my .>racing bike. Even if the elevation gained is the same, there's way
> more .>technique involved in mountain biking, and your heart rate goes up just
for
> .>the technique. Plus, there's sand, rocks, roots, drop offs, etc.
Mountain
> .>biking 86 miles in a day would be quite a feat. Plus, where do you go
> .>even attempt this? The only places I've ever been, you couldn't bike
that
> .>much even if you wanted to -- there are not 86 miles of trails. . .I am sure there are places,
> as I am sure there are people, who can do .this, although crossing a road or repeating are
> entirely possible. My .point is that using this as typical of mountain biking is wrong.
>
> I never said it is typical. But riding several times as far as a hiker IS typical. I notice that
> no mountain bikers are volunteering to say how far
they
> ride in a day....

I did 44 miles yesterday.

Dashii

news:[email protected]...

Don't you mean that he is an ambulatory sack of ****?

--
Cameron

> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 06:23:33 GMT, "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> . ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... .> On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:07:27 GMT, "Cameron"
> <[email protected]> wrote: .> .> . .> ."Humongojugomango" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message news:[email protected]... .> .> > .> .> >Still
> think hikers and mountain bikers have the same impact? Try to HIKE 86.1 .> .> >miles in a day! .>
> .> > .> .> >Mike .> .> .> .> do you ever stop???? .> . .> .Unfortunately, no. .> . .> .I don't
> think he realizes that the "trails" Bob rode involves dirt roads and converted rail-trail. .>
> .Plus some single. I've ridden out there during the 2000 MS ride. I guess mountain bikes do .>
> .more damage than trains. ;-) .> .> You completely missed the point. This isn't the only place
> where mountain bikers .> travel several times as far as hikers. In fact, they do it EVERYWHERE. .
> .Uh, Mike, we're talking about western WA here. Out of all the trails around here it's harder .to
> find trails that are open to mountain bikes than closed. Or did you even bother to check .your
> facts? Sorry, dumb question. You never do.
>
> What does that have to do with anything? Mountain bikers still travel several times as far as
> hikers, WHETHER THEY STAY ON LEGAL TRAILS OR NOT!

Nice try at evasion, but you failed. I was talking about the logging roads and rail-trails he
was riding. Are you trying to say that logging trucks and trains cause less damage that
non-motorized bicycles?

P.S., there is no need to shout at me, my hearing is fine.

--
Cameron

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 04:07:39 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:

>What does that have to do with anything? Mountain bikers still travel several times as far as
>hikers, WHETHER THEY STAY ON LEGAL TRAILS OR NOT!

And therefore disturb any given piece of trail for less time. And wear the trail less, because they
have narrower track and smaller footprint. And one or two of them care about the environment, rather
than just spouting ******** which alienates everybody who sees it, which is your preferred method
for damaging the environmentalist cause.

Guy
===

<[email protected]> wrote:
> .> .> . .> ."Humongojugomango" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> .> .> > .> .> >Still think hikers and mountain bikers have the same impact? Try to
HIKE 86.1
> .> .> >miles in a day! .> .> > .> .> >Mike .> .> .> .> do you ever stop???? .> . .>
> .Unfortunately, no. .> . .> .I don't think he realizes that the "trails" Bob rode involves dirt
roads and converted rail-trail.
> .> .Plus some single. I've ridden out there during the 2000 MS ride. I
guess mountain bikes do
> .> .more damage than trains. ;-) .> .> You completely missed the point. This isn't the only
> place where
mountain bikers
> .> travel several times as far as hikers. In fact, they do it EVERYWHERE. . .Uh, Mike, we're
> talking about western WA here. Out of all the trails
around here it's harder
> .to find trails that are open to mountain bikes than closed. Or did you
even bother to check
> .your facts? Sorry, dumb question. You never do.
>
> What does that have to do with anything? Mountain bikers still travel
several
> times as far as hikers, WHETHER THEY STAY ON LEGAL TRAILS OR NOT!
> ===
> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
> help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Very true. We are much more efficient travelers. In the one day that this person rode their bike,
they may have each had a single bowel movement and maybe a couple/few urinations. In the time it
would take a person traveling by foot to cover 86.1 miles (8 days?) they would have camped. Each
night, they set up camp, trampeling vegetation in 8 seperate areas. Each night they use their cook
stoves or start a camp fire, releasing toxins into the air. Each morning they wake up and deposit
human waste in several different areas, along with spitting toothpaste and mouthwash. Seeing as how
they do not sleep on the trail, they are trampeling areas away from the trail. They will do this for
8 nights. I would think someone like yourself would rather have someone in and out of the area in a
day, rather than setting up 8 camps and leaving at least 16 **** piles in the woods.

Ken Juneau, Alaska www.takusmokeries.com

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:49:26 -0800, "junobug" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Very true. We are much more efficient travelers. In the one day that this person rode their bike,
>they may have each had a single bowel movement and maybe a couple/few urinations. In the time it
>would take a person traveling by foot to cover 86.1 miles (8 days?) they would have camped. Each
>night, they set up camp, trampeling vegetation in 8 seperate areas. Each night they use their cook
>stoves or start a camp fire, releasing toxins into the air. Each morning they wake up and deposit
>human waste in several different areas, along with spitting toothpaste and mouthwash. Seeing as how
>they do not sleep on the trail, they are trampeling areas away from the trail. They will do this
>for 8 nights. I would think someone like yourself would rather have someone in and out of the area
>in a day, rather than setting up 8 camps and leaving at least 16 **** piles in the woods.
>
>Ken Juneau, Alaska www.takusmokeries.com

Let's make it even more efficient, just pave a a highway, build a hotel & restaurant and drive
there in under 2 hours!

I think the point is, hikers would like machinery left off the trails.

So let's start with bikes, then you've got your off roaders that say if bikes are allowed, why not
dirt bikes & 4-tracks? ...4WDs,.. then log it, put in a highway.. & develop it. Call it "progress" I
guess,.. it's going to happen most pristine places eventually.

"Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:49:26 -0800, "junobug" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Very true. We are much more efficient travelers. In the one day that
this
> >person rode their bike, they may have each had a single bowel movement
and
> >maybe a couple/few urinations. In the time it would take a person
traveling
> >by foot to cover 86.1 miles (8 days?) they would have camped. Each
night,
> >they set up camp, trampeling vegetation in 8 seperate areas. Each night they use their cook
> >stoves or start a camp fire, releasing toxins into
the
> >air. Each morning they wake up and deposit human waste in several
different
> >areas, along with spitting toothpaste and mouthwash. Seeing as how they
do
> >not sleep on the trail, they are trampeling areas away from the trail.
They
> >will do this for 8 nights. I would think someone like yourself would
rather
> >have someone in and out of the area in a day, rather than setting up 8
camps
> >and leaving at least 16 **** piles in the woods.
> >
> >Ken Juneau, Alaska www.takusmokeries.com
> >
> Let's make it even more efficient, just pave a a highway, build a hotel & restaurant and drive
> there in under 2 hours!
>
> I think the point is, hikers would like machinery left off the trails.
>
> So let's start with bikes, then you've got your off roaders that say if bikes are allowed, why not
> dirt bikes & 4-tracks? ...4WDs,.. then log it, put in a highway.. & develop it. Call it "progress"
> I guess,.. it's going to happen most pristine places eventually.

Your position is that we are calling allow for more and more access, the problem is we already have
limited access by the nature of the environment, and there are forces that seek to limit that access
to a greater and greater degree. Nobody is asking for more routes to be open, we only want less
routes to be closed. There is a huge difference in these two positions.

What we are seeing is that as more routes are closed, then the remaining routes get more traffic
because the same number of people must seek recreatin from a smaller inventory of possible
locations. When more and more people seek recreation from fewer and fewer sites, we will get
increased conflicts, resulting in even more closures and more conflicts. The truth is that the vast
majority of backcountry routes have been in the inventory for several decades, and any damage that
is present is very slight. Obviously, we would want no damage at all, but the damage is not done by
a few visitors, it is done by decades of visitation and is compounded by weather issues. Even
without the visitation, there is still the weather and the fact that animals will use the trails and
cause damage that the weather will make worse. The bottom line is that we need route maintenance,
adn to the extent that some trails see more visitors than others we need varying amounts of
maintenance. Simple visitation by humans using any means of transportation is usually not a
significant factor in the migration of the animals into or out of an area. The forces that cause
animals to flee and plants to be destroyed are generally brought on by developement. I will be the
first to admit that there are instances where the shear number of visitors is a determent, and we
need to invoke more stringent restrictions, we might even need closures to rehabilitate an area that
has suffered from visitor damage, but these instances are a clear minority of of routes, and are
generally not even applicable to the entire route, let alone all of the routes in the area. I am
sure that everyone here would comply with a sign that said a rehabilitation effort was in progress,
and the morons that would not comply do not represent any of us. It would do everybody well to
remember that all visitors to the backcountry want to see the backcountry preserved and protected so
that they could enjoy it as much as possible. This means that while we want to go in, we respect the
implications of our being there and take every effort to be sure we have the smallest impact we can
have. Nobody in their right mind will go into the backcountry and maliciously destroy it. Perhaps
what we need is to give the current netwrok of routes over to the vehicles and create foot paths
that the vehicles are not allowed on, this would solve the conflicts that result when pedestrians
and vehicle operators encounter one another on the trails.

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 12:46:37 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Perhaps what we need is to give the current netwrok of routes over to the vehicles and create foot
>paths that the vehicles are not allowed on, this would solve the conflicts that result when
>pedestrians and vehicle operators encounter one another on the trails.

Sounds like a swell plan to me.. :)

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 17:29:33 GMT, "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:24:25 GMT, Gary S.
<Idontwantspam@net> wrote: .> .> .On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:49:34 GMT, "Bob" <[email protected]>
wrote: .> . .> .>"Gary S." <Idontwantspam@net> wrote in message .>
.>news:[email protected]... .> .>> On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:59:15 GMT, Mike
Vandeman <[email protected]> .> .>> wrote: .> .>> .> .>> >Still think hikers and mountain bikers
have the same impact? Try to .HIKE .> .>86.1 .> .>> >miles in a day! .> .>> > .> .>> How many
mountain bikers can routinely do 86.1 miles in a day ride? .> .>> .> .>> I am more familiar with
road biking, where the vast majority of people .> .>> who own bikes generally do no more than 20-40
miles in a day. I cannot .> .>> imagine that off road cyclists frequently do more mileage than that.
.> .>> .> .>I've never ridden my mountain bike the same distance as I've ridden my .> .>racing bike.
Even if the elevation gained is the same, there's way more .> .>technique involved in mountain
biking, and your heart rate goes up just .for .> .>the technique. Plus, there's sand, rocks, roots,
drop offs, etc. .Mountain .> .>biking 86 miles in a day would be quite a feat. Plus, where do you go
.to .> .>even attempt this? The only places I've ever been, you couldn't bike .that .> .>much even
if you wanted to -- there are not 86 miles of trails. .> . .> .I am sure there are places, as I am
sure there are people, who can do .> .this, although crossing a road or repeating are entirely
possible. My .> .point is that using this as typical of mountain biking is wrong. .> .> I never said
it is typical. But riding several times as far as a hiker IS .> typical. I notice that no mountain
bikers are volunteering to say how far .they .> ride in a day.... . .I did 44 miles yesterday.

Thanks for proving my point.

.Dashii .

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 12:46:37 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote:

Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:49:26 -0800, "junobug" <[email protected]> wrote: .> .> .> > .> >Very true. We are
**** piles in the woods. .> > .> >Ken .> >Juneau, Alaska .> >www.takusmokeries.com .> > .> Let's
make it even more efficient, just pave a a highway, build a .> hotel & restaurant and drive there in
under 2 hours! .> .> I think the point is, hikers would like machinery left off the trails. .> .> So
let's start with bikes, then you've got your off roaders that say .> if bikes are allowed, why not
dirt bikes & 4-tracks? ...4WDs,.. then .> log it, put in a highway.. & develop it. .> Call it
"progress" I guess,.. .> it's going to happen most pristine places eventually. .> .> .Your position
is that we are calling allow for more and more access, the .problem is we already have limited
access by the nature of the environment, .and there are forces that seek to limit that access to a
greater and greater .degree. Nobody is asking for more routes to be open,

That's a LIE.

we only want less .routes to be closed. There is a huge difference in these two positions.

There are no closed routes. You can WALK. If you weren't too LAZY.

[...]

Did you say something?

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 17:29:33 GMT, "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> . ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> .news:[email protected]... .> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:24:25 GMT, Gary S.
> <Idontwantspam@net> wrote: .> .> .On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:49:34 GMT, "Bob" <[email protected]>
> wrote: .> . .> .>"Gary S." <Idontwantspam@net> wrote in message .>
> .>news:[email protected]... .> .>> On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:59:15 GMT, Mike
> Vandeman
<[email protected]>
> .> .>> wrote: .> .>> .> .>> >Still think hikers and mountain bikers have the same impact? Try
> .HIKE .> .>86.1 .> .>> >miles in a day! .> .>> > .> .>> How many mountain bikers can routinely do
> 86.1 miles in a day ride? .> .>> .> .>> I am more familiar with road biking, where the vast
> majority of
people
> .> .>> who own bikes generally do no more than 20-40 miles in a day. I
cannot
> .> .>> imagine that off road cyclists frequently do more mileage than
that.
> .> .>> .> .>I've never ridden my mountain bike the same distance as I've ridden
my
> .> .>racing bike. Even if the elevation gained is the same, there's way
more
> .> .>technique involved in mountain biking, and your heart rate goes up
just
> .for .> .>the technique. Plus, there's sand, rocks, roots, drop offs, etc. .Mountain .> .>biking
> 86 miles in a day would be quite a feat. Plus, where do you
go
> .to .> .>even attempt this? The only places I've ever been, you couldn't bike .that .> .>much even
> if you wanted to -- there are not 86 miles of trails. .> . .> .I am sure there are places, as I am
> sure there are people, who can do .> .this, although crossing a road or repeating are entirely
> possible. My .> .point is that using this as typical of mountain biking is wrong. .> .> I never
> said it is typical. But riding several times as far as a hiker
IS
> .> typical. I notice that no mountain bikers are volunteering to say how
far
> .they .> ride in a day.... . .I did 44 miles yesterday.

I did 60 today!

Dashii

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 18:54:34 GMT, "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 17:29:33 GMT, "Dashi
Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote: .> .> . .> ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.> .news:[email protected]... .> .> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:24:25 GMT, Gary
S. <Idontwantspam@net> wrote: .> .> .> .> .On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:49:34 GMT, "Bob"
<[email protected]> wrote: .> .> . .> .> .>"Gary S." <Idontwantspam@net> wrote in message .> .>
.>news:[email protected]... .> .> .>> On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:59:15 GMT,
Mike Vandeman .<[email protected]> .> .> .>> wrote: .> .> .>> .> .> .>> >Still think hikers and
mountain bikers have the same impact? Try .to .> .HIKE .> .> .>86.1 .> .> .>> >miles in a day! .> .>
.>> > .> .> .>> How many mountain bikers can routinely do 86.1 miles in a day ride? .> .> .>> .> .>
.>> I am more familiar with road biking, where the vast majority of .people .> .> .>> who own bikes
generally do no more than 20-40 miles in a day. I .cannot .> .> .>> imagine that off road cyclists
frequently do more mileage than .that. .> .> .>> .> .> .>I've never ridden my mountain bike the same
distance as I've ridden .my .> .> .>racing bike. Even if the elevation gained is the same, there's
way .more .> .> .>technique involved in mountain biking, and your heart rate goes up .just .> .for
.> .> .>the technique. Plus, there's sand, rocks, roots, drop offs, etc. .> .Mountain .> .> .>biking
86 miles in a day would be quite a feat. Plus, where do you .go .> .to .> .> .>even attempt this?
The only places I've ever been, you couldn't bike .> .that .> .> .>much even if you wanted to --
there are not 86 miles of trails. .> .> . .> .> .I am sure there are places, as I am sure there are
people, who can do .> .> .this, although crossing a road or repeating are entirely possible. My .>
.> .point is that using this as typical of mountain biking is wrong. .> .> .> .> I never said it is
typical. But riding several times as far as a hiker .IS .> .> typical. I notice that no mountain
bikers are volunteering to say how .far .> .they .> .> ride in a day.... .> . .> .I did 44 miles
yesterday. . .I did 60 today!

Thanks for proving my point for me.

.Dashii .

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:26:03 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:

[MV:]
> [...]
[Dashii:]
>>> I did 44 miles yesterday.
>>I did 60 today!
[MVI:]
>Thanks for proving my point for me.

So Dashii proved your point that no mountian bikers are volunteering their mileage by volunteering
mileage? No wonder you are universally regarded as a clueless waste of space.

Guy
===

I agree fully with this man (?). Mountain bikes are for two types of people

faster, and can get to help faster if you start a forest fire by accident. Bottom line, if your a
mouintain biker, then you will cause the forest to catch on fire, cause Sasquatch to become extinct,
and you might scare off some of those good, respectable people who make Methamphetimines and white
lightening in our forests, and that's not good. Also, you might get SARS from civent cats if you are
mountaing biking in China, that's the last thing we need mountain bikers that spread biblical
plauges from zoonosis. Mountain bikes are for plagues spreaders. Also, if you mountain bike you
might make the mountain erupt, like what happened on mt. st. helens.

> On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:07:27 GMT, "Cameron" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> . ."Humongojugomango" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> .> > .> >Still think hikers and mountain bikers have the same impact? Try to
HIKE 86.1
> .> >miles in a day! .> > .> >Mike .> .> do you ever stop???? . .Unfortunately, no. . .I don't
> think he realizes that the "trails" Bob rode involves dirt roads
and converted rail-trail.
> .Plus some single. I've ridden out there during the 2000 MS ride. I guess
mountain bikes do
> .more damage than trains. ;-)
>
> You completely missed the point. This isn't the only place where mountain
bikers
> travel several times as far as hikers. In fact, they do it EVERYWHERE.
> ===
> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
> help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Funny how late in the evening, or in the very early morning, the beer takes over one's typing.
.............and it's THREE types of people dinkhead.

David Hoover <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Funny how late in the evening, or in the very early morning, the beer
takes
> over one's typing. .............and it's THREE types of people dinkhead.

Hey - you the dinkhead! - This:

"Mountain bikes are for two types of people only, Faggots, Queers, and

was a joke, based on a simple but classic formula, much like this one is:

"There are only two kinds of people, those who are stupid, and those who can count".

Are you American by any chance? - Just asking ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - "Oh, the irony, the flippancy, the sarcasm, the raw humour, the what where?"