Stinging Toes!

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by ver, Jun 9, 2004.

  1. ver

    ver Guest

    Hey, my toes get very numb/tingly/stinging when I ride. Has anyone els
    had this problem? I suspect that wider shoes would help, but I can'
    seem to find any brands that offer widths, except for the billion dolla
    types. Anyone

    -

    Tags:

  2. wassupdawg

    wassupdawg Guest

    ver wrote:
    > Hey, my toes get very numb/tingly/stinging when I ride. Has anyone else
    > had this problem? I suspect that wider shoes would help, but I can't
    > seem to find any brands that offer widths, except for the billion dollar
    > types. Anyone?

    Hi Ve

    wide shoes are a problem i used to face too. Found many of th italia
    brands (Diadora, etc) were good width wis

    Is it a temperature thing, or in any weather conditions

    Also make sure the cleat isnt too far forward which places incorrec
    pressure on the wrong parts of your feet. Should be directly below (or
    few mm behind) ball of your fee

    -

  3. ver

    ver Guest

    Thanks, I will check cleat position. It doesn't seem to matter whethe
    it is cold or warm or hot out. It just seems to be pedaling in general

    -

  4. blah

    blah Guest

    ver <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hey, my toes get very numb/tingly/stinging when I ride. Has anyone else
    > had this problem? I suspect that wider shoes would help, but I can't
    > seem to find any brands that offer widths, except for the billion dollar
    > types. Anyone?
    >

    > --

    Mine have gone numb and tingly - never stinging, though - and I
    thought it was the width of the shoe also. Then I got some Canondale
    C-Soles for MTBing back in the late nineties. These were very wide,
    casual shoes, and I still had numb toes; so much for that theory for
    me. I now ride road with some Shimano shoes, and my toes are fine
    unless it's a longer ride (over three hours).
    I did a bit of reading and found that cleat position may have
    something to do with it - exactly what, I don't know, but at some
    stage before summer I'll get a professional bike fit done to sort out
    my dodgy back and hopefully get some answers then.
    Short answer? Could be your shoes; could be your positioning of
    cleats, perhaps... maybe... helpful, eh?
    Cheers.

  5. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    ver wrote:
    > Thanks, I will check cleat position. It doesn't seem to matter whether
    > it is cold or warm or hot out. It just seems to be pedaling in general.

    well the size/tightness and cleat-position are prime suspects the

    wot shoes are you using

    -

  6. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    ver wrote:

    > Hey, my toes get very numb/tingly/stinging when I ride. Has anyone else
    > had this problem? I suspect that wider shoes would help, but I can't
    > seem to find any brands that offer widths, except for the billion dollar
    > types. Anyone?
    >
    > --

    I had this problem when I first started. Generally these sensations are
    related to pressure on some nerves. Mine was related to cleat position
    in an abstract way - the angle of the cleat was wrong so the knee wasn't
    moving directly over my toes in a straight line but rather slightly
    curving in at the top and bottom. I'd had problems with my ITB from
    running so I was susceptible to problems here. My lateral hamstrings got
    tight, and gluteus maximus, and that was putting pressure on the nerves
    and hence the tingly feet. So try some stretching of glutes and hammies,
    and when adjusting your cleats think about angles as well... (try riding
    on a trainer in front of a video camera). Worked for me.

    Tam

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > My lateral hamstrings got tight, and gluteus maximus

    thought havin a tight butt woz a good thing ;

    -

  8. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:

    > Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > > My lateral hamstrings got tight, and gluteus maximus

    > thought havin a tight butt woz a good thing ;)
    >
    > --

    Buns of steel, or maybe...Buns of carbon-fibre?

  9. Mike

    Mike Guest

    ver wrote:
    > Hey, my toes get very numb/tingly/stinging when I ride. Has anyone else
    > had this problem? I suspect that wider shoes would help, but I can't

    Is this a problem with you bike shoes? Or do you get it when
    cycling in your regular walking shoes too?

  10. hippy

    hippy Guest

    ver wrote:
    > Hey, my toes get very numb/tingly/stinging when I ride. Has anyone else
    > had this problem? I suspect that wider shoes would help, but I can't
    > seem to find any brands that offer widths, except for the billion dollar
    > types. Anyone?

    When I get tingling in my feet, it is generally because I have th
    straps done up too tight or I have thick socks on (same effect as tigh
    straps). It puts too much pressure on nerves and/or veins running on th
    top of the foot and causes pins and needles sensation in the toes
    Loosen your straps and see what it feels like

    I'm still using the same $50 Nike shoes I bought 3 or 4 years ago. Thes
    are probably the best cycling investment I've made (not counting use
    stuff). There were super cheap but they've done everything! Pity they'r
    not sold any more :

    hipp

    -

  11. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > I'm still using the same $50 Nike shoes I bought 3 or 4 years ago. These
    > are probably the best cycling investment I've made (not counting used
    > stuff). There were super cheap but they've done everything! Pity they're
    > not sold any more :(
    >
    > hippy

    Where in Melb do you find bargains like that? Is there a particular
    store that
    has a bargain bin or similar or is it just down to good luck and hanging
    around
    in a lot of different shops. Somebody mentioned Cecil Walker a while
    back but all
    they had was their standard shoe display. Okay, okay so I'm cheap but
    that's the
    only way I'll be able to get away from riding in runners.

    DaveB

  12. hippy

    hippy Guest

    >Originally posted by Dave
    >>hippy wrote: I'm still using the same $50 Nike shoes I bought 3 or

    >Where in Melb do you find bargains like that? Is there a particula
    >store that has a bargain bin or similar or is i

    Nike Factory Outlet on Smith St. Collingwood. They used to get all th
    old stock and stuff that didn't sell. It helps to have feet as big a
    mine because the common sized shoes are generally not available

    I've called them since and they said that Nike don't do cycling shoe
    any more, or, at least they don't sell them in their own shops - onl
    bike shops will have them or some guff like that. You could always rin
    them and see if they've changed their policy..

    hipp

    -

  13. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    hippy wrote:

    >>Originally posted by Daveb
    >>
    >>>hippy wrote: I'm still using the same $50 Nike shoes I bought 3 or 4

    >>Where in Melb do you find bargains like that? Is there a particular
    >>store that has a bargain bin or similar or is it

    > Nike Factory Outlet on Smith St. Collingwood. They used to get all the
    > old stock and stuff that didn't sell. It helps to have feet as big as
    > mine because the common sized shoes are generally not available.
    >
    > I've called them since and they said that Nike don't do cycling shoes
    > any more, or, at least they don't sell them in their own shops - only
    > bike shops will have them or some guff like that. You could always ring
    > them and see if they've changed their policy...
    >
    > hippy
    >

    > --

    Ahhhhhh....the old days. <wipes tear>

    Were you around for the great Myer bike dept sellout a few years
    back Hippy?

    That was an amazing time to be alive:)

    --
    Nick

  14. hippy

    hippy Guest

    >Originally posted by Nickzx6r Were you around for the great Myer bik
    >dept sellout a few years back Hippy

    Nah, I'm not a 'Myer-shopper-type' and with no junk mail and limited T
    viewing, I'd never know about such sales.. What was it all about

    Thought for the Day: I think there should be more bike swap meets..

    hipp

    -

  15. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > Thought for the Day: I think there should be more bike swap meets...
    > hippy

    More??

    How about one:mad: ??

    Do such things exist

    And people question Melbourne's claims to be the culture-central of Oz
    Geeeesshh!

    -

  16. hippy

    hippy Guest

    >Originally posted by flyingdutch Do such things exist

    Yes. There was one on a few months ago

    It's up to the shops generally to organise them.. or an individual wit
    a bit of gumption

    Anyone have a large inner city place suitable for a bike swap meet
    hopefully with a large amount of parts ready to sell..

    hipp

    -

  17. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    hippy wrote:
    >>Originally posted by Nickzx6r Were you around for the great Myer bike
    >>dept sellout a few years back Hippy?

    > Nah, I'm not a 'Myer-shopper-type' and with no junk mail and limited TV
    > viewing, I'd never know about such sales.. What was it all about?
    >
    > Thought for the Day: I think there should be more bike swap meets...
    >
    > hippy
    >

    > --

    A few years back Myers closed down their bike section (which was quite
    well stocked). Lots of stuff ended up going for up to 75% off.

    I got a couple of paris of Carnacs (MTB & Road) for 60% off, a Topeak
    Alien tool for $20 instad of $80, Cinelli bar tape for $5 - you get
    the drift. A friend of mine bought a Minoura rim trainer for $100.

    Discounts so huge, you wouldn't believe it unless you were there :)

    --
    Nick

  18. ver

    ver Guest

    Is this a problem with you bike shoes? Or do you get it when cycling in
    your regular walking shoes too?

    I get it mostly when biking, but also when running sometimes. Worse
    when biking.

    --

  19. ver

    ver Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > well the size/tightness and cleat-position are prime suspects then
    > wot shoes are you using?

    I have Specializeds...I can't remember the exact model. They're not
    extra wide...just the widest I could find in a store.

    --

  20. ver

    ver Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > ver wrote:
    > >
    > > Hey, my toes get very numb/tingly/stinging when I ride. Has anyone
    > > else had this problem? I suspect that wider shoes would help, but I
    > > can't seem to find any brands that offer widths, except for the
    > > billion dollar types. Anyone?
    > >
    > > --

    > I had this problem when I first started. Generally these sensations are
    > related to pressure on some nerves. Mine was related to cleat position
    > in an abstract way - the angle of the cleat was wrong so the knee wasn't
    > moving directly over my toes in a straight line but rather slightly
    > curving in at the top and bottom. I'd had problems with my ITB from
    > running so I was susceptible to problems here. My lateral hamstrings got
    > tight, and gluteus maximus, and that was putting pressure on the nerves
    > and hence the tingly feet. So try some stretching of glutes and hammies,
    > and when adjusting your cleats think about angles as well... (try riding
    > on a trainer in front of a video camera). Worked for me.
    > Tam

    I don't think there is an option for angles on my cleats. I got
    Speedplay because I liked the fact that there was some "play" in the
    float. I thought that would be good for someone susceptible to joint
    aches etc. But I will check the front-to-back settings!