stinging/tugging/painful sensation in the croch on the downstroke

tdxloki

Jan 11, 2005
Ok, maybe this has happened to someone else besides me.

I ride/race about 100-300 miles per week. Last weekend I raced Saturday and Sunday rode in the hills. On Sunday I was not feeling comfortable in the saddle but I was not feeling pain. It felt as though my left gonad was between my thigh and the saddle. (I don't think that is possible while wearing bibs.) No big deal I figured, racing and riding hard is not always comfortable.

I took two rest days and planned a hard ride on Wednesday. I got on the bike, rode across the street, and felt an instant sharp pain between my legs that traveled out to my scrotum (left side only). The terrible sharp pain repeated when my foot passed the bottom of the pedal stroke (5-7 o'clock position) almost every pedal stroke. Standing I was ok. Moving very far back or forward on the saddle decreased the frequency of the sharp, stinging sensation.

I went to the Doctor. Hernia was negative. All tests negative. Gonads are fine, not sore, no lumps, no bruises. They gave me Celebrex.

What did I do? It feels like the ligaments/tendons that run up the inside of my thigh are rubbing/rolling over a nerve that shoots some serious pain into the left gonadal.

The bike I've been on for the past month has the saddle about 1 cm higher than my winter training bike. Handlebar drop is about 5 cm lower than winter training bike. Both have the nose slightly downward. Same pedals on both. I've ridden about 2000 miles since January.

Comments? Ideas on what I may have done to myself?

Riding is impossible now.

drop your saddle about 5mm -- you're 'torquing' yourself, and that little buddy will crawl up your a$$ to save itself if you don't stop!

bigpedaler said:
drop your saddle about 5mm -- you're 'torquing' yourself, and that little buddy will crawl up your a$$ to save itself if you don't stop!
Could you elaborate a little bit on what you mean by 'torquing'?

The first thing I did was drop the saddle about 6-7 mm to more closely match the winter bike. I also brought the tilt closer to level - both bikes had a very slight downward tilt.

I attempted to ride the winter bike on the trainer yesterday but it was a definite NO, NO. The pain was just as bad on that bike. It is possible that the race bike initiated the injury but now any bike is no good for riding.

If I sit on the saddle in the most neutral position and push my hips forward but do not allow my butt to slide (causing a pulling or stretching of skin/tissue underneath) that seems to find the injured tissue. It does not cause the pain but it feels uncomfortable and tender. So, maybe I slipped forward (quickly or gradually) on the slightly downward saddle?

Hello, how long has this condition been happening. If it's been less than a week perhaps you should take some rest from riding, say at least 2 weeks?

I never had that kind of pain but I have had a stingy sensation around the tip of my **** after 50 min. of hard riding. I found standing,off of the seat riding helps to avoid that feeling. Good luck

gemship said:
Hello, how long has this condition been happening. If it's been less than a week perhaps you should take some rest from riding, say at least 2 weeks?

I never had that kind of pain but I have had a stingy sensation around the tip of my **** after 50 min. of hard riding. I found standing,off of the seat riding helps to avoid that feeling. Good luck
The pain started suddenly on Wednesday (about 5 days ago). Before that I was not feeling pain. The previous ride to the first time I felt pain I only felt some discomfort. I kept trying to find a comfortable place to sit on the saddle.

I remeber maybe once or twice a year or two ago I felt the same sharp pain on a ride. It did not linger the remainder of the ride or last into the following days.

Thanks for the wish of luck.

I just thought I post an update.

I went to another doctor for a second opinion. After a discussion and complete exam it was concluded that I do not have any strained or pulled muscles in my hips or groin. Furthermore I do not show any signs of tendonitis, strained tendons, or strained ligaments. No hernia. No structural problems with the gonadals.

Fine, but we still do not know exactly what is injured.

All the negatives point toward irritation of a nerve (possibly the pudendal) probably as a result of direct injury to the nerve or the tissue surrounding the nerve. I was prescribed an oral steroid for six days. It may reduce any possible swelling and alleviate the pain. A return visit to the doctor was scheduled for one week.

Of course, no riding (even if I wanted to) while I heal.

I am selling my saddle - Specialized Toupe.