Stinky gloves

D.M. Procida

Guest
My cycling gloves *stink*. They are truly disgusting, a sour vinegary
bacterial olfactory factory. The label says not to wash them - but if I
don't get them cleaned I will have to throw them away.

They're Lidl's £1.99 a pair specials, so I guess I can afford to throw
them away if I absolutely have to, but I'd prefer some way to restore
some niceness to them. Any suggestions?

Daniele
--
For sale: Apple PowerBook G4 17", 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM, 80GB HDD, DVD
writer, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, backlit keyboard. Almost brand

D.M. Procida wrote:
> My cycling gloves *stink*. They are truly disgusting, a sour vinegary
> bacterial olfactory factory. The label says not to wash them - but if
> I don't get them cleaned I will have to throw them away.
>
> They're Lidl's £1.99 a pair specials, so I guess I can afford to throw
> them away if I absolutely have to, but I'd prefer some way to restore
> some niceness to them. Any suggestions?

I got a pair of Aldi's el-cheapos, stuck 'em in the washing machine, and
they came out fine (ie, the same shape and size!). For two quid, I'd do the
same with your Lidl ones - if they come out a mess, buy a different make,
otherwise, you're quids in. Hand wash in the sink if you think the machine
will lead to theor demise.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

"D.M. Procida" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
news:1h311zi.r153x31uf07edN%[email protected]...
> My cycling gloves *stink*. They are truly disgusting, a sour vinegary
> bacterial olfactory factory. The label says not to wash them - but if I
> don't get them cleaned I will have to throw them away.
>
> They're Lidl's £1.99 a pair specials, so I guess I can afford to throw
> them away if I absolutely have to, but I'd prefer some way to restore
> some niceness to them. Any suggestions?
>
> Daniele

I just wash mine through by hand with a little washing-up liquid, rinse
thoroughly, squeeze excess moisture out and air-dry in a warm airing
cupboard.

Cheers, helen s

D.M. Procida wrote:
> My cycling gloves *stink*. They are truly disgusting, a sour vinegary
> bacterial olfactory factory. The label says not to wash them - but if I
> don't get them cleaned I will have to throw them away.
>
> They're Lidl's £1.99 a pair specials, so I guess I can afford to throw
> them away if I absolutely have to, but I'd prefer some way to restore
> some niceness to them. Any suggestions?

Wash them in the washing machine. Either they will come out clean and
usable in which case you have a usable pair of gloves again or they will
be ruined which is no worse than having a pair of gloves so stinky you
cannot use them and have to throw them away. So you can only gain and
not be worse off by washing them

--
Tony

Anon

"D.M. Procida" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
news:1h311zi.r153x31uf07edN%[email protected]...
> My cycling gloves *stink*. They are truly disgusting, a sour vinegary
> bacterial olfactory factory. The label says not to wash them - but if I
> don't get them cleaned I will have to throw them away.
>
> They're Lidl's £1.99 a pair specials, so I guess I can afford to throw
> them away if I absolutely have to, but I'd prefer some way to restore
> some niceness to them. Any suggestions?

Two quid? Two lousy quid?
Bung 'em in the washing machine.

I submit that on or about Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:53:06 +0100, the person
known to the court as [email protected]
(D.M. Procida) made a statement
(<1h311zi.r153x31uf07edN%[email protected]>
in Your Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

>My cycling gloves *stink*. They are truly disgusting, a sour vinegary
>bacterial olfactory factory. The label says not to wash them - but if I
>don't get them cleaned I will have to throw them away.

Wash them cool in Bio-Tex then regular detergent. I have done this
with "do not wash" gloves and it hasn't hurt them at all.

The worst that can happen is that you ruin a pair of gloves which are
already ruined :)

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:53:06 +0100, D.M. Procida wrote:

> My cycling gloves *stink*. They are truly disgusting, a sour vinegary
> bacterial olfactory factory. The label says not to wash them - but if I
> don't get them cleaned I will have to throw them away.

Put them in the washing machine.

If you're really concerned about them, just get some washing liquid,
put them on your hands and wash them under a tap. Or in the shower.

John Hearns <[email protected]> wrote:

> > My cycling gloves *stink*. They are truly disgusting, a sour vinegary
> > bacterial olfactory factory. The label says not to wash them - but if I
> > don't get them cleaned I will have to throw them away.

> Put them in the washing machine.
>
> If you're really concerned about them, just get some washing liquid,
> put them on your hands and wash them under a tap. Or in the shower.

It's not the gloves I'm particularly worried about, but the
washing-machine and anything else that goes for a spin with the gloves.
And me, because I'll be dead meat if I cause a laundry disaster with my
stinkgloves.

So I think I will do them by hand, but the problem remains - does this
happen to all gloves? Can gloves generally speaking be chucked in the
machine with one's socks?

Daniele
--

D.M. Procida wrote:

> So I think I will do them by hand, but the problem remains - does this
> happen to all gloves? Can gloves generally speaking be chucked in the
> machine with one's socks?

Yes and yes - although I tend to throw them in with the rest of my
cycling kit.

--
Tony

Anon

Tony Raven <[email protected]>typed

> D.M. Procida wrote:
> > My cycling gloves *stink*. They are truly disgusting, a sour vinegary
> > bacterial olfactory factory. The label says not to wash them - but if I
> > don't get them cleaned I will have to throw them away.
> >
> > They're Lidl's £1.99 a pair specials, so I guess I can afford to throw
> > them away if I absolutely have to, but I'd prefer some way to restore
> > some niceness to them. Any suggestions?
> >

> Wash them in the washing machine. Either they will come out clean and
> usable in which case you have a usable pair of gloves again or they will
> be ruined which is no worse than having a pair of gloves so stinky you
> cannot use them and have to throw them away. So you can only gain and
> not be worse off by washing them

Agreed.
Use a 'delicate synthetic' program and a dtergent designed for wool &
delicates (non-bological) like Persil 'Silk & Wool' or Sainsbury's
'Kindwash'.

Keep Velcro closed and away from ladies' tights or any fine knitted
jersey fabric.

Remember, hands have similar skin and sweat glands to feet. You wouldn't
wear socks as long, without washing, as your gloves...

Girlie

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>typed

> I submit that on or about Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:53:06 +0100, the person
> known to the court as [email protected]
> (D.M. Procida) made a statement
> (<1h311zi.r153x31uf07edN%[email protected]>
> in Your Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

> >My cycling gloves *stink*. They are truly disgusting, a sour vinegary
> >bacterial olfactory factory. The label says not to wash them - but if I
> >don't get them cleaned I will have to throw them away.

> Wash them cool in Bio-Tex then regular detergent. I have done this
> with "do not wash" gloves and it hasn't hurt them at all.

> The worst that can happen is that you ruin a pair of gloves which are
> already ruined :)

The worst is when the Velcro eats up and ruins some *other* serviceable
garment...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

[email protected] (D.M. Procida)typed

> So I think I will do them by hand, but the problem remains - does this
> happen to all gloves? Can gloves generally speaking be chucked in the
> machine with one's socks?

Yes, but not wife's tights...

--

D.M. Procida wrote:
> My cycling gloves *stink*. They are truly disgusting, a sour vinegary
> bacterial olfactory factory. The label says not to wash them - but if I
> don't get them cleaned I will have to throw them away.
>
> They're Lidl's £1.99 a pair specials, so I guess I can afford to throw
> them away if I absolutely have to, but I'd prefer some way to restore
> some niceness to them. Any suggestions?
>
> Daniele

Stick em in with the smelly shorts and socks!

FWIW, I have it on moderate/poor authority that sweat smelling of acetic
acid is a sign of fat burning which is usually considered a Good Thing.
Sounds like Bollox(tm) to me though.

--
Chris

in message
<1h311zi.r153x31uf07edN%[email protected]>,
D.M. Procida ('[email protected]') wrote:

> My cycling gloves *stink*. They are truly disgusting, a sour vinegary
> bacterial olfactory factory. The label says not to wash them - but if I
> don't get them cleaned I will have to throw them away.
>
> They're Lidl's £1.99 a pair specials, so I guess I can afford to throw
> them away if I absolutely have to, but I'd prefer some way to restore
> some niceness to them. Any suggestions?

Wash 'em. Your hands sweat a lot when cycling - some peoples' more than
others, obviously - so if they aren't washable they aren't a lot of good
anyway.

;; This email may contain confidential or otherwise privileged
;; information, though, quite frankly, if you're not the intended
;; recipient and you've got nothing better to do than read other
;; folks' emails then I'm glad to have brightened up your sad little
;; life a tiny bit.

in message
<1h318nw.1o1jxetmog7gzN%[email protected]>,
D.M. Procida ('[email protected]') wrote:

> So I think I will do them by hand, but the problem remains - does this
> happen to all gloves? Can gloves generally speaking be chucked in the
> machine with one's socks?

Generally, yes. Real leather ones benefit from being hand washed, but
your average track mitt can be thrown in with the rest. Although my
favourite black Alturas are, after dozens of machine washes, somewhat
less black than they were.

...but have you *seen* the size of the world wide spider?

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> Agreed.
> Use a 'delicate synthetic' program and a dtergent designed for wool &
> delicates (non-bological) like Persil 'Silk & Wool' or Sainsbury's
> 'Kindwash'.

Hang on, you'll have Danielle going out and spending more on new
detergents than the gloves cost in the first place!

--
Tony

Anon

Chris Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

> FWIW, I have it on moderate/poor authority that sweat smelling of acetic
> acid is a sign of fat burning which is usually considered a Good Thing.
> Sounds like Bollox(tm) to me though.

I don't have much fat to burn, certainly not in my hands.

Daniele
--
For sale: Apple PowerBook G4 17", 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM, 80GB HDD, DVD
writer, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, backlit keyboard. Almost brand
new - has been used exactly once, on 8th September 2005, for a one-
day project. Absolutely perfect condition. £1500 + VAT or offers.

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:53:06 +0100, D.M. Procida wrote:

> They're Lidl's £1.99 a pair specials, so I guess I can afford to throw
> them away if I absolutely have to, but I'd prefer some way to restore
> some niceness to them. Any suggestions?

When are you people going to learn, don't be afraid of spending the big
money on equipment. You should have got the Aldi 2.99 ones!

--
***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
http://www.unmusic.co.uk - about me, music, geek sitcom etc.

In message
<1h311zi.r153x31uf07edN%[email protected]>,
D.M. Procida <[email protected]> writes
>My cycling gloves *stink*. They are truly disgusting, a sour vinegary
>bacterial olfactory factory. The label says not to wash them - but if I
>don't get them cleaned I will have to throw them away.
>
>They're Lidl's £1.99 a pair specials, so I guess I can afford to throw
>them away if I absolutely have to, but I'd prefer some way to restore
>some niceness to them. Any suggestions?

Wash 'em and find out. A new pair will cost you less than a pint (London
prices).

I've got two pairs of fingerless mitts and I wash and alternate them
every week. And they cost a lot more than yours.

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google

D.M. Procida wrote:

> So I think I will do them by hand, but the problem remains - does this
> happen to all gloves? Can gloves generally speaking be chucked in the
> machine with one's socks?

THat's what I do with mine. I used to do them by hand in a sink, but now
just do the velcro up carefully (important that bit) and then shove them
in at 40C with everything else.

Arhtur

--
Arthur Clune