stinky shoes

ranger39000

Jul 9, 2006
I was at work the other day when I walked into the back room and I noticed a smell. Searched it out and lo and behold, my Nike cycling shoes. THEY STINK :eek: !! Anybody have any advice on how to keep the stink out? I know cleaning them will work temporarily, but I commute or ride every day which means loads of sweat every day. I occasionally just wear them while working (recessed cleats) and no smell then. But somethin has to b done.

After you have cleaned them, use a good brand of foot powder often in the shoes, and make sure that you are using good socks. Don't wear your shoes during work. Give them a chance to dry while you are working, and change your socks before you use them to ride back home.

The cause of stinky shoes is moisture, usually sweat, that starts to breakdown the internal construction of the shoes unless it is allowed to thoroughly dry. Foot powder, good socks, and time not on your feet will allow them to keep as dry as possible.

ranger39000 said:
THEY STINK :eek: !!
To prevent the stink before it ever happens:

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, wear the same socks twice before washing them. This goes for on-the-bike and off. I mean religiously!

To be realistic, when commuting I would wear my cycling socks to work and then back home, but I would always have fresh cotton socks waiting for me at work which I would wear throughout the work day. (Same for the shoes too.)

This worked well for my commute: 31mi, 2days/week, + weekend long rides. My shoes only smelled when I stuck my nose directly in the shoe and took a whiff. Even then it was easily bearable. I work in an office where the more primal smells were less tolerated than say a laborer type job ;).

One of the reasons why changing socks is so important is because bacteria/fungus needs moisture + oxygen to metabolize. By reusing socks it allows plenty of oxygen to reach the socks where bacteria/fungus congregate and keeps the moisture levels just right - thus the stink.

Hope this helps,
Dave

ranger39000 said:
I was at work the other day when I walked into the back room and I noticed a smell. Searched it out and lo and behold, my Nike cycling shoes. THEY STINK :eek: !! Anybody have any advice on how to keep the stink out? I know cleaning them will work temporarily, but I commute or ride every day which means loads of sweat every day. I occasionally just wear them while working (recessed cleats) and no smell then. But somethin has to b done.

Fail Safe cure to shoestinkitosis......

Spray with Lysol Disinfectant once a week and immediately put out in sun for 1-2 hours.

Guaranteed to make your shoes smell like a desert rose. ;-)

Besides the things which have already been suggested, I would recommend rinsing them if possible, then drying them. Can you leave them in the sun somewhere, as has already been suggested? Don't let them sit around wet, and if you do, let them be wet with water, not sweat.

P. S. you don't wear cotton socks, do you? I have found them to be OK with my mountain shoes because the amount of mesh the shoes have keep my feet dry even with athletic cotton socks, but you might be pooling more sweat due to not having wicking fabric; i.e. due to having cotton.