Stinky Wool!

Rex Kerr

Guest
And here I thought that wool wasn't supposed to stink.

I've got two older wool sweaters that are cut similar to the fit of a
bike jersey that I ride in during these cooler winter months. One of
which matches all of the magical properties attributed to wool. It
doesn't get cold when wet, it doesn't stink after a long ride (even my
cat ignores it when I take it off, unlike my synthetic jerseys!), etc,
etc... The tag just says Made in Spain & 100% wool. Another that
actually looks nicer and fits better as a jersey claims to be 100% pure
new merino wool, made in Australia. The thing is, it stinks something
horrible!

Is there something I'm missing? Something I can clean it with to
restore its non stink properties?

Laundry Hints from Heloise:
I soak all stinky jerseys in water and a capful of Wisk HE liquid
detergent for a couple of days, then wash them, assuming they are
machine washable. Even wool will stink after multiple wearings.

Lynne Fitz wrote:
> Laundry Hints from Heloise:
> I soak all stinky jerseys in water and a capful of Wisk HE liquid
> detergent for a couple of days, then wash them, assuming they are
> machine washable. Even wool will stink after multiple wearings.

My point is that the one gets unbearably stinky even after about 10
miles, whereas the other can go for a few days in a pinch. It's very
strange. :-( I'm not sure I can go for a three day soak since I ride
every day, but I may consider a longer soaking in something stronger.

Thanks!

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:32:46 -0800, Rex Kerr <[email protected]>
wrote:

>And here I thought that wool wasn't supposed to stink.
>
>I've got two older wool sweaters that are cut similar to the fit of a
>bike jersey that I ride in during these cooler winter months. One of
>which matches all of the magical properties attributed to wool. It
>doesn't get cold when wet, it doesn't stink after a long ride (even my
>cat ignores it when I take it off, unlike my synthetic jerseys!), etc,
>etc... The tag just says Made in Spain & 100% wool. Another that
>actually looks nicer and fits better as a jersey claims to be 100% pure
>new merino wool, made in Australia. The thing is, it stinks something
>horrible!
>
>Is there something I'm missing? Something I can clean it with to
>restore its non stink properties?

Wet wool smells like, well, wet sheep. The smell usually goes away
when it's dry. You could also be picking up the odour of the dye and
processing chemicals.
Is it the natural wool smell or a stale sweat smell?
I've had good luck removing the later by soaking in an enzyme based
cleaner by Crystalair called C20. It will knock out skunk and rodent
odour too while leaving no scent of its own.
Rinsing your sweaters in hair conditioner will make the wool really
soft and leave behind a perfume.
--
zk

Rex Kerr wrote:

> Another that
> actually looks nicer and fits better as a jersey claims to be 100% pure
> new merino wool, made in Australia. The thing is, it stinks something
> horrible!
>
> Is there something I'm missing? Something I can clean it with to
> restore its non stink properties?

For what it's worth, I've bought a few "100% cotton" t-shirts that
clearly contained some significant percentage of synthetic fiber. It
probably wouldn't take much polyester mixed into your wool jersey to
make it chronically smelly. That might not be the issue, but it's
certainly a possibility.

Chalo

In article <[email protected]>, Rex Kerr <[email protected]> wrote:

> And here I thought that wool wasn't supposed to stink.
>
> I've got two older wool sweaters that are cut similar to the fit of a
> bike jersey that I ride in during these cooler winter months. One of
> which matches all of the magical properties attributed to wool. It
> doesn't get cold when wet, it doesn't stink after a long ride (even my
> cat ignores it when I take it off, unlike my synthetic jerseys!), etc,
> etc... The tag just says Made in Spain & 100% wool. Another that
> actually looks nicer and fits better as a jersey claims to be 100% pure
> new merino wool, made in Australia. The thing is, it stinks something
> horrible!
>
> Is there something I'm missing? Something I can clean it with to
> restore its non stink properties?

Hmmm. I've many sweaters of merino, lambswool and shetland wool, all
100%, and have not noticed much of a difference in their funky
propensities. When wet, each enshrouds me in a hybrid musk-wet dog
aromatic aura, to varying degrees. But that 'incense' is clearly
distinct from more piquant sweaty emissions and disappears upon drying.

Depending upon the degree of perspiration, I've found the stench of
sweat requires about 5 or 6 wearings -- as opposed to one for
synthetics -- before it permeates the wool, and a turn in the washing
machine (no dryer) eliminates it.

On Jan 17, 12:32 pm, Rex Kerr <[email protected]> wrote:
> And here I thought that wool wasn't supposed to stink.
>
> I've got two older wool sweaters that are cut similar to the fit of a
> bike jersey that I ride in during these cooler winter months. One of
> which matches all of the magical properties attributed to wool. It
> doesn't get cold when wet, it doesn't stink after a long ride (even my
> cat ignores it when I take it off, unlike my synthetic jerseys!), etc,
> etc... The tag just says Made in Spain & 100% wool. Another that
> actually looks nicer and fits better as a jersey claims to be 100% pure
> new merino wool, made in Australia. The thing is, it stinks something
> horrible!
>
> Is there something I'm missing? Something I can clean it with to
> restore its non stink properties?

i would say, take it to the dry cleaners. they should be able to wash
it properly with steam and get rid of the smell.
carlos
http://www.bikingthings.com
ride hard, get fit, be happy

[email protected] wrote:
> i would say, take it to the dry cleaners. they should be able to wash
> it properly with steam and get rid of the smell.

I considered that. I guess steam would be higher temp, so it would kill
anything that's living in there. I've always had this idea that dry
cleaning was expensive, but never having done it I could be wrong.
Maybe I'll call to find out.