stir fry beef

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jen, Oct 4, 2005.

  1. Jen

    Jen Guest

    What sorts of beef are best for stir frying?

    --
    Jen

    Tags:

  2. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Jen wrote:

    > What sorts of beef are best for stir frying?

    Out of a dozen or so recipes I queried, the majority called for round
    steak.

    Andy

  3. "Jen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What sorts of beef are best for stir frying?
    >
    > --
    > Jen

    Whatever you would otherwise grill or fry, ie tender, tasty and low on
    sinew. The names of cuts are by no means global but I use rump, sirloin,
    fillet, scotch fillet. If you use round, blade or topside it would have to
    be very tender or treated to tenderise it. Chuck, shin etc are not
    suitable.

    David

  4. Jen

    Jen Guest

    > Whatever you would otherwise grill or fry, ie tender, tasty and low on
    > sinew. The names of cuts are by no means global but I use rump, sirloin,
    > fillet, scotch fillet. If you use round, blade or topside it would have
    > be very tender or treated to tenderise it. Chuck, shin etc are not
    > suitable.
    >
    > David

    I have some blade steak in the freezer, how could I tenderise it.

    --
    Jen

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Jen" <anyof[email protected]> wrote:

    > What sorts of beef are best for stir frying?

    IMHO thinly sliced chuck, or T-bone when it's on sale.

    Rib-eye if it's affordable.

    I like my beef tender......

    Sirloin is ok in a pinch, just tenderize it prior to making the thin
    slices for stir fry.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Jen" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > Whatever you would otherwise grill or fry, ie tender, tasty and low on
    > > sinew. The names of cuts are by no means global but I use rump, sirloin,
    > > fillet, scotch fillet. If you use round, blade or topside it would have
    > > be very tender or treated to tenderise it. Chuck, shin etc are not
    > > suitable.
    > >
    > > David
    > >

    > I have some blade steak in the freezer, how could I tenderise it.

    I personally use a Jacquard Tenderizer.

    If you don't have one of those, or a tenderizing mallet, the edge of a
    plate works well. Mom taught me that technique many years ago. :)

    Just beat the hell out of it.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

  7. Default User

    Default User Guest

    Jen wrote:

    > What sorts of beef are best for stir frying?

    Top round works well, but must be sliced very thin. A sharp knife and a
    bit of practice is needed.

    Brian
    won't shut up.

  8. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Jen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What sorts of beef are best for stir frying?
    >
    > --
    > Jen

    There are several factors that will determine the "best" grade for a stir fry.

    You are always better off using USDA Choice or Prime beef.

    Generally for the stir fry a lean cut is desirable - Top or bottom round IMHO is
    a little too tough. for a good all purpose cut I tend to use sirloin or the NY
    portion of a T bone or Porterhouse steak.

    Dimitri

  9. ~john

    ~john Guest

    Well for a Chinese style stir-fry I'll use Flank Steak thinly sliced
    against the grain... I'm not sure why you'd want to use a T-Bone or
    another tender cut of meat for this dish...

    ~john

  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    "~john" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Well for a Chinese style stir-fry I'll use Flank Steak thinly sliced
    > against the grain... I'm not sure why you'd want to use a T-Bone or
    > another tender cut of meat for this dish...
    >
    > ~john

    'cause I like my beef chunky and half raw... even in stir fry. ;-)

    And I cool meat separately and add it back.

    My teeth are ok, but I still prefer tender meat as I can afford it.

    Flank steak???

    Slow cooked fajitas or pot roast. :-d
    --
    Om.

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "~john" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Well for a Chinese style stir-fry I'll use Flank Steak thinly sliced
    > > against the grain... I'm not sure why you'd want to use a T-Bone or
    > > another tender cut of meat for this dish...
    > >
    > > ~john
    > >

    > 'cause I like my beef chunky and half raw... even in stir fry. ;-)
    >
    > And I cool meat separately and add it back.

    oops! That should read "cook meat". Sorry!

    > My teeth are ok, but I still prefer tender meat as I can afford it.
    >
    > Flank steak???
    >
    > Slow cooked fajitas or pot roast. :-d

    --
    Om.

  12. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    jen wrote:

    > What sorts of beef are best for stir frying?

    Cheap cuts of steak sliced thin. It is a lot easier to cut
    thin slices if the meat is partially frozen.

  13. ~john

    ~john Guest

    Yeah, flank steak... I'd betcha' 10 bucks that's what most Chinese
    joints use for Beef and Broccoli ;)

    ~john

  14. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > And I cool meat separately and add it back.
    >
    > My teeth are ok, but I still prefer tender meat as I can afford it.
    >
    > Flank steak???
    >
    > Slow cooked fajitas or pot roast. :-d

    I have made fajitas with flank steak marinated in a mixture with various spices
    and lime juice, then grilled and served on the rare side. If sliced against the
    grain it is not too chewy, and it is very tasty.

  15. Jen

    Jen Guest

    "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > jen wrote:
    >
    >> What sorts of beef are best for stir frying?

    > Cheap cuts of steak sliced thin. It is a lot easier to cut
    > thin slices if the meat is partially frozen.

    Thankyou everyone for your help.

    --
    Jen