StKilda Junction green lane

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by flyingdutch, Jun 14, 2005.

  1. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Can anyone give any comment/feedback on the 'greened' lane on StK Rd at the junction?
    It apparently was the first to use VicRoads' new substrate which has also been just applied to the new lanes on Chandler Hwy.

    be interested to hear from those who have/do ride StK lane frequently on whether its standing up to time/wear and if it breaks up or causes any punctures?

    cheers

    F"BBUG"Dutch

    Tags:

  2. craigster_jd

    craigster_jd New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2004
    I have punctured on it, although I can't say for sure that was due to the substrate. I haven't ridden it for a couple of months but I can't recall there being any breakup. It struck me as a nice, smooth yet grippy surface.

  3. Kim

    Kim Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > Can anyone give any comment/feedback on the 'greened' lane on StK Rd at
    > the junction?
    > It apparently was the first to use VicRoads' new substrate which has
    > also been just applied to the new lanes on Chandler Hwy.
    >
    > be interested to hear from those who have/do ride StK lane frequently
    > on whether its standing up to time/wear and if it breaks up or causes
    > any punctures?

    is this the same kind of thing as the red bus lanes in london?

    cheers,

    kim

  4. hemyd

    hemyd Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > Can anyone give any comment/feedback on the 'greened' lane on StK Rd at
    > the junction?
    > It apparently was the first to use VicRoads' new substrate which has
    > also been just applied to the new lanes on Chandler Hwy.
    >
    > be interested to hear from those who have/do ride StK lane frequently
    > on whether its standing up to time/wear and if it breaks up or causes
    > any punctures?
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > F"BBUG"Dutch
    >

    > --
    > flyingdutch

    I'm on it almost daily in peak hour traffic. The material seems to have good
    grip, but sheds, and there is a track of green residue past the actual
    track.

    To me, the main benefit of that track is the indication it gives to drivers
    that cyclists have some rights there. Before there was a track (even before
    the recently redone green track), crossing St. Kilda Junction was quite
    unpleasant.

    Henry.

  5. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    This sounds like the green lanes we have in Canberra along roads where there
    is an exit or entrance ramp for cars. Sound similar?? The surfaces have
    been in place for at least a year and there are some signs of wear (v. small
    'potholes' down to the original road surface and thinning in places). It's
    a good surface to ride on... I thought it would be a bit slippy in the wet
    but haven't noticed so far. No punctures whatsoever and I feel quite safe
    using them. They are on roads up to 80kph and cover the on/off ramp stretch
    of the bike lanes so we have right of way. Great idea IMHO.

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying
    "flyingdutch" <flyingdut[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > Can anyone give any comment/feedback on the 'greened' lane on StK Rd at
    > the junction?
    > It apparently was the first to use VicRoads' new substrate which has
    > also been just applied to the new lanes on Chandler Hwy.
    >
    > be interested to hear from those who have/do ride StK lane frequently
    > on whether its standing up to time/wear and if it breaks up or causes
    > any punctures?
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > F"BBUG"Dutch
    >

    > --
    > flyingdutch

  6. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    The last time I rode it, the surface wasn't very grippy at all, probably due to recent rain, a big tyre skid mark and possible oil on the road. I'll agree with Henry though, the coloured lane does indicate the line cyclists will pick coming down the hill. Even though the 246 bus via Barkly St still makes me nervous....
    There was a recent study/comments into the StKilda Junction on how it was extremely bad for pedestrians. Last year I was doing some vol work on the Corroboree Tree. Rather dispiriting to hear stories of how many vehicles hit it.

    Anyway, back to green lane marking. Yarra Council have used this surface on areas where there's a history of cyclists/motorist altercations. Namely the left turn from High Street into Hoddle, crossing the Heidelberg Road onramp from Hoddle St and Canning Street, Carlton.

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    I agree wholeheartedly with the implementation etc of it/them (we campaigned for years for this so its fruits of labour stuff. more so for others as Im 'new').

    This material is 'new'. The only other application of it previously is StK junction. (i presume the yarra ones is the ol' molten paint stuff that's dubious in the wet?)

    The chandler lanes are now finished (this morning. photo's to follow).
    My issue was with the actual stuff they used. After riding one stretch (approx 100-150m long) i had about 20 pieces stuck in my 23mm tyres.
    I guess these loose bits will minimise with time but the puncture affect seems a bit counter-productive, no doubt a design done by someone in a whitecoat in a lab who doesnt ride a bike.
    There is a truckload (almost literally) all over the road and even footpath there now, which wont help matters.

    and yes bean, sounds the same as yours...

  8. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > I guess these loose bits will minimise with time but the puncture
    > affect seems a bit counter-productive, no doubt a design done by
    > someone in a whitecoat in a lab who doesnt ride a bike.
    >
    > flyingdutch

    Ouch... as someone in a white coat in a lab (who does ride a bike... and
    there are a lot of us I assure you)... that hurts! Never mind... I'm sure
    I'll get over it.

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

  9. ProfTournesol

    ProfTournesol New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2003

    the surface itself is good, but the problem has always been the location of the lane in the middle of 6 lanes of often speeding traffic, and the bumpy tram-lines usually taken at speed at the bottom of the hill.

  10. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    dooooh!!!

    if it makes you feel any better, my dad was too!
    worked in a lab formulating...
    paint! ROAD paint!!! (as well as automotive stuff)
    bwahahahahahahahahah

    F"son of a gun"Dutch

  11. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    pix are here...

    http://boroondarabug.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?page=1

  12. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    Yeah... they look identical to what we have here in Canberra. I like 'em
    but they do seem to take a beating from cars.

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying
    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > flyingdutch Wrote:
    > > dooooh!!!
    > >
    > > if it makes you feel any better, my dad was too!
    > > worked in a lab formulating...
    > > paint! ROAD paint!!! (as well as automotive stuff)
    > > bwahahahahahahahahah
    > >
    > > F"son of a gun"Dutch

    > pix are here...
    >
    > http://boroondarabug.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?page=1
    >

    > --
    > flyingdutch

  13. hemyd

    hemyd Guest

    "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > hemyd Wrote:
    >> I'm on it almost daily in peak hour traffic. The material seems to have
    >> good grip, but sheds, and there is a track of green residue past the
    >> actual track.
    >>
    >> To me, the main benefit of that track is the indication it gives to
    >> drivers
    >> that cyclists have some rights there. Before there was a track (even
    >> before
    >> the recently redone green track), crossing St. Kilda Junction was
    >> quite
    >> unpleasant.
    >>
    >> Henry.

    > The last time I rode it, the surface wasn't very grippy at all,
    > probably due to recent rain, a big tyre skid mark and possible oil on
    > the road. I'll agree with Henry though, the coloured lane does indicate
    > the line cyclists will pick coming down the hill. Even though the 246
    > bus via Barkly St still makes me nervous....
    > There was a recent study/comments into the StKilda Junction on how it
    > was extremely bad for pedestrians. Last year I was doing some vol work
    > on the Corroboree Tree. Rather dispiriting to hear stories of how many
    > vehicles hit it.
    >
    > Anyway, back to green lane marking. Yarra Council have used this
    > surface on areas where there's a history of cyclists/motorist
    > altercations. Namely the left turn from High Street into Hoddle,
    > crossing the Heidelberg Road onramp from Hoddle St and Canning Street,
    > Carlton.
    >

    > --
    > cfsmtb

    Southbound along St. Kilda Rd. There are also these green lanes across the
    Toorak Road exit. These are risk areas for cyclists (aren't they all?). A
    damn good idea.

    Henry.

  14. Carl Brewer

    Carl Brewer Guest

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 21:10:30 +1000, flyingdutch
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Can anyone give any comment/feedback on the 'greened' lane on StK Rd at
    >the junction?
    >It apparently was the first to use VicRoads' new substrate which has
    >also been just applied to the new lanes on Chandler Hwy.
    >
    >be interested to hear from those who have/do ride StK lane frequently
    >on whether its standing up to time/wear and if it breaks up or causes
    >any punctures?

    I like them, that's a nasty intersection and it seems to help a bit
    with right of way issues.

    The surface is much better now than it was a few months ago,
    when it was Ubergreasy.

  15. dave

    dave Guest

    Kim wrote:
    > flyingdutch wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone give any comment/feedback on the 'greened' lane on StK Rd at
    >> the junction?
    >> It apparently was the first to use VicRoads' new substrate which has
    >> also been just applied to the new lanes on Chandler Hwy.
    >> be interested to hear from those who have/do ride StK lane frequently
    >> on whether its standing up to time/wear and if it breaks up or causes
    >> any punctures?

    > is this the same kind of thing as the red bus lanes in london?
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > kim

    Thats a good question. I noticed the green lanes on the Chandler this
    morning.. Not sold on bike lanes as a rule but they do look like a good
    idea. Got to give the average car driver all the clues possible :)

    Dave