Stock, Superstock and Unfaired Records...let's post em!

Jeff Potter

Guest
I recall a year or so ago there was talk about the IHPVA establishing unfaired records. Apparently
this effort came to naught---politics bla bla.

Why not just set up some stats ourselves? Let's let anyone who cares to post their stats.

I won't worry about accuracy as folks who know better will likely come to the plate to clear up any
goofiness, with best data being passed on or asterisked as needed.

Let's just start posting speed stats for various bikes and set-ups in a design mode a la sailing
design classes. Add whatever info you might have. Note bike brand where possible. Use common
distance events where possible as well (Hour, 40km, etc.).

To start, here's some data I've dug up, correct and add to it as need be:

*Challenge Baron (with tailfairing?): Frederik van de Walle wins 3.2 km prolog of the 2000 UCI Tour
de Seine et Marne (invitational), riding 52 kmh / 32 mph.

*M5 Low Racer with tailfairing: Werner de Hamer wins 2003 Cycle Vision solo-male category with 49.2
km in the Hour event.

*M5 Low Racer with tailfairing: Edgar Leijten wins 2003 Dutch Championships Time Trial for Free
Racers with 53:50 for 41 km, ave.
45.70 kmh.

*M5 Low Racer with tailfairing: Werner de Hamer wins 2003 Classique Genevoise 80 km Swiss open road
race (with big hills) in 1h49min for a new course record, ave. 43.72 kmh, 5 minutes ahead of the
first bent and 9 minutes ahead of first UCI bike.

*Lightning U-2, modified M5 lowracer: Tim Brummer won 45-50 age-group in
:52:22 for the 2003 USCF 40 km TT for 5th overall, and an average of 46
kmh, 28.5 mph.

*Lightning R-84: Andreas Weigel, 2nd overall (behind pro Shawn Wallace), USCF TT in San Diego, with
26:46 min for 20 km, for 27.8 mph, 1999.

*Lowracer, custom, dual-suspension: Jeff Potter wins 40-minute USCF criterium, lapping field, ave.
24mph, 1999 (best I remember).

HPRA Superstreet (full fairing, no moving part) (bike brand?): Rich Sadler, Hour TT, 23.89 miles,
Waterford, MI

HPRA Superstock (front OR rear fairing) (bike brand?): Frank Geyer, Hour TT, 26.74 miles,
Waterford, MI

HPRA Stock (no fairing) (bike brand?): Karsten Fabien, Hour TT, 25.56 miles, Waterford, MI

--

Jeff Potter
****

*Challenge Jester (with tailfairing?): Frederik van de Walle wins 3.2 km

[...]

Frank and Karsten race Jesters. Frank also holds the 1km TT at Northbrook at
1:09 IIRC. Jeff Potter <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> *Challenge Jester (with tailfairing?): Frederik van de Walle wins 3.2 km
>
> prolog of the 2000 UCI Tour de Seine et Marne (invitational), riding 52 kmh / 32 mph.
>
> *M5 Low Racer with tailfairing: Werner de Hamer wins 2003 Cycle Vision solo-male category with
> 49.2 km in the Hour event.
>
> *M5 Low Racer with tailfairing: Edgar Leijten wins 2003 Dutch Championships Time Trial for Free
> Racers with 53:50 for 41 km, ave.
> 45.70 kmh.
>
> *M5 Low Racer with tailfairing: Werner de Hamer wins 2003 Classique Genevoise 80 km Swiss open
> road race (with big hills) in 1h49min for a new course record, ave. 43.72 kmh, 5 minutes ahead of
> the first bent and
>
> 9 minutes ahead of first UCI bike.
>
> *Lightning U-2, modified M5 lowracer: Tim Brummer won 45-50 age-group in
>
> :52:22 for the 2003 USCF 40 km TT for 5th overall, and an average of 46
> kmh, 28.5 mph.
>
> *Lightning R-84: Andreas Weigel, 2nd overall (behind pro Shawn Wallace),
>
> USCF TT in San Diego, with 26:46 min for 20 km, for 27.8 mph, 1999.
>
> *Lowracer, custom, dual-suspension: Jeff Potter wins 40-minute USCF criterium, lapping field, ave.
> 24mph, 1999 (best I remember).
>
> HPRA Superstreet (full fairing, no moving part) (bike brand?): Rich Sadler, Hour TT, 23.89 miles,
> Waterford, MI
>
> HPRA Superstock (front OR rear fairing) (bike brand?): Frank Geyer, Hour
>
> TT, 26.74 miles, Waterford, MI
>
> HPRA Stock (no fairing) (bike brand?): Karsten Fabien, Hour TT, 25.56 miles, Waterford, MI
>
> --
>
> Jeff Potter
> ****
> *Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.com publisher of outdoor/indoor do-it-yourself
> culture... ...offering "small world" views on bikes, bows, books, movies... ...rare books on ski,
> bike, boat culture, plus a Gulf Coast thriller about smalltown smuggling ... more radical novels
> coming up! ...original downloadable music ... and articles galore! plus national "Off the Beaten
> Path" travel forums! HOLY SMOKES!

STOCK SUPERSTOCK UNFAIRED RECORDS AD HOC

"harv" <harv*nospamforme*@spininternet.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Frank and Karsten race Jesters. Frank also holds the 1km TT at Northbrook at
> 1:09 IIRC.
The kilo record for track bikes must be well under a 1.09. at Northbrook, I managed a 1.09
flat back in 1979 with no aero equipment at all just a basic track bike with light wheels and
tires. Freddy

"[email protected]" wrote:

> "harv" <harv*nospamforme*@spininternet.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Frank and Karsten race Jesters. Frank also holds the 1km TT at Northbrook at
> > 1:09 IIRC.
> The kilo record for track bikes must be well under a 1.09. at Northbrook, I managed a 1.09
> flat back in 1979 with no aero equipment at all just a basic track bike with light wheels and
> tires. Freddy

The UCI kilo record is 1' 0.613" (61.613 seconds) for an average speed of 59.393 km/hr set by Shane
Kelly of Australia on September 26, 1995 in Bogota, Columbia.

Tom Sherman - Recumbent Pedant

"Don't Have a Cow, Man!" - Bart Simpson

Tom Sherman wrote:

> The UCI kilo record is 1' 0.613" (61.613 seconds) for an average speed of 59.393 km/hr set by
> Shane Kelly of Australia on September 26, 1995 in Bogota, Columbia.

Keep up, Tom! The UCI's web site says 1:00.148 (59.9 km/h average), by Arnaud Tournant of France;
June 16 2000, Mexico City. The same rider's "Absolute Record" is 0:58.875 (61.1 km/h average),
October 10 2001, La Paz, Bolivia.

Best "unfaired" recumbent performances I can find have both been by Frederik van de Walle: 1:05.17
(55.24 km/h), August 19 1999, Interlaken, Switzerland, and 1:05:60 (54.88 km/h), July 12 2000,
Ghent, Belgium. The former was, I believe, a straight line airfield course, the latter a 250m
covered wooden velodrome. IIRC the bike was in both cases a tail-faired Jester.

Peter Groeneveld did 1:06.61 (53.98 km/h), July 27 1997, Köln, Germany without any kind of fairings.
Bike was a home-built carbon low racer.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

> STOCK SUPERSTOCK UNFAIRED RECORDS AD HOC
>
> > *Challenge Jester (with tailfairing?): Frederik van de Walle wins 3.2 km prolog of the 2000 UCI
> > Tour de Seine et Marne (invitational), riding 52 kmh / 32 mph.
> >
> > *M5 Low Racer with tailfairing: Werner de Hamer wins 2003 Cycle Vision solo-male category with
> > 49.2 km in the Hour event.
> >
> > *M5 Low Racer with tailfairing: Edgar Leijten wins 2003 Dutch Championships Time Trial for Free
> > Racers with 53:50 for 41 km, ave.
> > 45.70 kmh.
> >
> > *M5 Low Racer with tailfairing: Werner de Hamer wins 2003 Classique Genevoise 80 km Swiss open
> > road race (with big hills) in 1h49min for a new course record, ave. 43.72 kmh, 5 minutes ahead
> > of the first bent and 9 minutes ahead of first UCI bike.
> >
> > *Lightning U-2, modified M5 lowracer: Tim Brummer won 45-50 age-group in
> > :52:22 for the 2003 USCF 40 km TT for 5th overall, and an average of 46
> > kmh, 28.5 mph.
> >
> > *Lightning R-84: Andreas Weigel, 2nd overall (behind pro Shawn Wallace), USCF TT in San Diego,
> > with 26:46 min for 20 km, for 27.8 mph, 1999.
> >
> > *Lowracer, custom, dual-suspension: Jeff Potter wins 40-minute USCF criterium, lapping field,
> > ave. 24mph, 1999 (best I remember).
> >
> > HPRA Superstreet (full fairing, no moving part) (bike brand?): Rich Sadler, Hour TT, 23.89
> > miles, Waterford, MI
> >
> > HPRA Superstock (front OR rear fairing) (Challenge Jester?): Frank Geyer, Hour TT, 26.74 miles,
> > Waterford, MI
> >
> > HPRA Stock (no fairing) (Challenge Jester): Karsten Fabien, Hour TT,
> > 25.56 miles, Waterford, MI

1km, standing start: Arnaud Tournant of France, UCI bike: 1:00.148 (59.9 km/h average), "Absolute
Record" 0:58.875 (61.1 km/h). Frederik van de Walle, tail-faired Jester: 1:05.17 (55.24 km/h).

--

Jeff Potter
****
*Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.com publisher of outdoor/indoor do-it-yourself
culture... ...offering "small world" views on bikes, bows, books, movies... ...rare books on ski,
bike, boat culture, plus a Gulf Coast thriller about smalltown smuggling ... more radical novels
coming up! ...original downloadable music ... and articles galore! plus national "Off the Beaten
Path" travel forums! HOLY SMOKES!

Note that my records listings are based on Design Model speeds, not absolutes. But anyone can add
whatever fast times they like to the list! I'd tend to think that longer events would be of more
interest in terms of stock/unfaired bikes. But maybe not: there's room for all kinds. For sure the
very short standing-start events or pure acceleration events would put the UCI bikes on top. How
about a Match Spring, anyone? : ) The UCI bikes sure do have wonderful 1km speeds!

--

Jeff Potter
****
*Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.com publisher of outdoor/indoor do-it-yourself
culture... ...offering "small world" views on bikes, bows, books, movies... ...rare books on ski,
bike, boat culture, plus a Gulf Coast thriller about smalltown smuggling ... more radical novels
coming up! ...original downloadable music ... and articles galore! plus national "Off the Beaten
Path" travel forums! HOLY SMOKES!

Originally posted by Dave Larrington
Tom Sherman wrote:

> The UCI kilo record is 1' 0.613" (61.613 seconds) for an average speed of 59.393 km/hr set by
> Shane Kelly of Australia on September 26, 1995 in Bogota, Columbia.

Keep up, Tom! The UCI's web site says 1:00.148 (59.9 km/h average), by Arnaud Tournant of France;
June 16 2000, Mexico City. The same rider's "Absolute Record" is 0:58.875 (61.1 km/h average),
October 10 2001, La Paz, Bolivia.

Best "unfaired" recumbent performances I can find have both been by Frederik van de Walle: 1:05.17
(55.24 km/h), August 19 1999, Interlaken, Switzerland, and 1:05:60 (54.88 km/h), July 12 2000,
Ghent, Belgium. The former was, I believe, a straight line airfield course, the latter a 250m
covered wooden velodrome. IIRC the bike was in both cases a tail-faired Jester.

Peter Groeneveld did 1:06.61 (53.98 km/h), July 27 1997, Köln, Germany without any kind of fairings.
Bike was a home-built carbon low racer.

In 1993 I did ,what I think is a 1.02 at the San Jose Velodrome during a Friday night track race racing the Gold Rush....San Jose is not the best place to max speed...I'm sure at the right track I could have gone sub 60 seconds for a standing start kilo. This is a hard event to beat since up[ to about 37mph your chasing a faster bike (track bike) only after that does a hpv stand a chance, but by then your about out of distance.....hey Dave how about our boy Schumi....he got the job done, Huh?
Freddy

freddy markham wrote:

> In 1993 I did ,what I think is a 1.02 at the San Jose Velodrome during a Friday night track race
> racing the Gold Rush....San Jose is not the best place to max speed...I'm sure at the right track
> I could have gone sub 60 seconds for a standing start kilo. This is a hard event to beat since
> up[ to about 37mph your chasing a faster bike (track bike) only after that does a hpv stand a
> chance, but by then your about out of distance.....

At the previously-mentioned Interlaken event, the three fastest streamliners were well under the
minute for the 1 km. I'm just about to go to the pub, so cannot be bothered to look up the
reference...

> hey Dave how about our boy Schumi....he got the job done,

Yay! Any excuse to drink champagne at eight in the mornin...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Dave Larrington wrote:

> Keep up, Tom! The UCI's web site says 1:00.148 (59.9 km/h average), by Arnaud Tournant of France;
> June 16 2000, Mexico City. The same rider's "Absolute Record" is 0:58.875 (61.1 km/h average),
> October 10 2001, La Paz, Bolivia.

I could not get the UCI page to load properly for some reason, so I was forced to use an alternate
data source that is apparently out of date.

Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon

Dave Larrington wrote:

> At the previously-mentioned Interlaken event, the three fastest streamliners were well under the
> minute for the 1 km. I'm just about to go to the pub, so cannot be bothered to look up the
> reference...

Note the huge difference that the streamer records are all FLYING start. I don't see a typical Kilo
record on the HPV page. Note that UCI kilo times are always standing start. I *hope* that's also
what the unfaired Jester times are that are noted. Gotta keep these things straight! Acceleration is
a HUGE part of the UCI kilo.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Jeff Potter wrote:

> Note the huge difference that the streamer records are all FLYING start. I don't see a typical
> Kilo record on the HPV page. Note that UCI kilo times are always standing start. I *hope* that's
> also what the unfaired Jester times are that are noted. Gotta keep these things straight!
> Acceleration is a HUGE part of the UCI kilo.

The times I mentioned above for Frederik vdW and Peter Groeneveld were for /standing/ 1 km; as were
the streamliner times. Streamliner times from Interlaken can be seen here:
http://petrix.dreifels.ch/fb/FB_Web_WM99/events/wm99/results/1kmvvm.html Fastest was Sandro Bollina
in a Lightning X2 with 58.13 seconds.

*Flying* 1 km records for streamliners are 28.04 seconds (79.79 mph / 128.38 km/h) at altitude and
37.33 seconds (59.94 mph / 96.44 km/h) at low altitude. Both stand to Sam Whittingham.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Jeff Potter <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I won't worry about accuracy

That is what I am worried about. Shameless troll. Write an honest book using legitimate research
that you did yourself. Stop ruining this site.