Stock wheels

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
Getting a new BMC TMR02 this weekend and was wondering if anyone here simply rides out the $100 wheels that come with most mid ranged bikes. I have a pair of Kyrium Elites that I can use if they are truly horrible, but am fine to wait a year or so until I drop more money on this thing for a real set. The wheels in question are shimano RS010's.

I've used WH500's on my synapse for a year, they are slow, but bullet proof. I road home 15 miles with a flat on the back wheel(stupid, but had no choice, wouldn't do again) and they never went out of true.

I bought a new Lynskey in 2013 and it came with Shimano wheels that retailed for about $250, so yes, I simply ride those out. But I'm a tightwad, I'm not going to replace something that's not broken just because I want to look cool or go another 1 mph faster but I had to pay $1,200 or more for a wheelset...to me, since I don't race, 1 mph isn't worth $1,200 or more!

But this is going to be your call, I'm not like most cyclists, I don't get hung up on trying to out do everyone else because there's always going to be someone with a better bike and or better stuff on it. I'm not going to chase that pie in the sky mentality.

RS010's are a little on the heavy at 1850-1900 Grams advertised and most folks reporting them around 1950 actual. They are also very durable and take a pounding. They may be sourced from Malaysia and they may be sourced from China. I've seen various models of low and mid-line shitmaNO wheels carrying both countries of origin on the decal attached to the rims.

I have RS010's, RS024's and RS330 shitmaNO wheel sets and they all are factory true and other than having to take a hone stone to smooth out one miss-matched seam on a front rim on the RS330 that thumped under braking all set have been maintenance-free so far.

Ribble has the RS010's currently for $90. So cheap it's a good spare set deal or easier than trying to scrounge up spare parts if you eventually wear your set out.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano-pr-whls-rs010/

I rate them as bomb proof and perfect for every day training and long distance rides. And yes, those WH500's are right in the same arena as the wheel sets listed above. Decent quality and no great financial loss if you waste one on some stupid pothole or such.

the wheels that came on my Lynskey are the R501-30 which mine were laced to 105 hubs. Not sure if there was a difference in the ones that I got in 2013 vs what they are today, I remember looking them up on the internet when I got the bike and they were $250, I now saw them for $86, this actually a fantastic buy because like CampyBob said they are bombproof, a bit heavy yes, but virtually indestructible. I've had my bike now for 4 years, and about 8,000 miles on it, and they don't need truing nor ever did, and I've jumped curbs, smacked into rail road tracks, rode about 70 miles total on gravel, banged them on rough streets, and nothing, there as true as the day I bought the bike.

http://www.boibike.com/product/shim...a26AI69nvTblqb1th4Xl8NF7ZE9X1_4EmyRoCi-Dw_wcB

I can be rough on my bike. Aside from being 1,000 cheaper, I picked the 105 groupset since replacement parts are 2 times less expensive than ultegra. I think i'll ride these wheels to the ground and get a decent set for when I'm craving a little extra speed.

I can be rough on my bike. Aside from being 1,000 cheaper, I picked the 105 groupset since replacement parts are 2 times less expensive than ultegra. I think i'll ride these wheels to the ground and get a decent set for when I'm craving a little extra speed.

My Lynskey has almost all 105, the only thing that isn't 105 in the components is the rear derailleur which I had swapped to Ultegra at time of purchase for an upgrade cost of only $36; but I got the 105 for the same reason you did, it cost a lot less then Ultegra, and really where the big cost savings is in the briftors. I also swapped out the standard Shimano cables for DA 9000 cables for about $10 more, but the combination between the Ultegra rear and the smoother cables makes the whole system feel like 100% DA components! The cables make the briftors smoother and slightly quicker shifts, I can't tell the difference between 105 briftors and DA. I have a odd feeling that if you had a bike with DA components and took off the 9000 cables and put on standard Shimano cables people wouldn't like the DA as much.