stolen bike alert- Lightning Phantom II

Michael L Hansl

Guest
2002 Lightning Phantom II, black, serial # L5145, about 1000 miles with eggbeater pedals, rear
rack, Cateye Astrale computer, fenders stolen from my garage in Salem, OR yesterday. Appreciate
notification if anyone comes across a black Phantom for sale in the Pac. Northwest over the
next few days.

Mike Hanslits

Having your almost new bent ripped off really sucks. Hope someone isn't stripping off the parts for
their $89.00 MTB and tossing the frame. Bents are still such a rare entity that when one goes
missing, ya gotta wonder about the I.Q. of the thief who is thinking one can be sold without anyone
questioning the origin and true ownership. Try contacting every bent dealer in the Pacific N.W.
(just in case the thief wants to know the resale value of such a bent to let him/her know how much
to ask for it). Carry a photo (if you have one) showing your bent & write the serial # on the back
of the photo. This will help the Police if you spot someone on what you believe to be your bent.

IF you have a "homeowner" or Property (contents) Insurance, claim your bent. Many people assume a
bent is not insured under a home (contents) policy, mine is and when I had one stolen 2 years ago by
a Crack Addict who had no idea how to sell a bent without being caught, my "Allstate" policy covered
it.
"Michael L Hanslits" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BABE6506.57E2%[email protected]...
> 2002 Lightning Phantom II, black, serial # L5145, about 1000 miles with eggbeater pedals, rear
> rack, Cateye Astrale computer, fenders stolen from
my
> garage in Salem, OR yesterday. Appreciate notification if anyone comes across a black Phantom for
> sale in the Pac. Northwest over the next few days.
>
> Mike Hanslits

"Michael L Hanslits" skrev...
> 2002 Lightning Phantom II, black, serial # L5145, about 1000 miles with eggbeater pedals, rear
> rack, Cateye Astrale computer, fenders stolen from my garage in Salem, OR yesterday. Appreciate
> notification if anyone comes across a black Phantom for sale in the Pac. Northwest over the next
> few days.

I think someone once found his stolen bike in a local pawnshop. Might be worth a shot.

My plan for dealing with biketheft has always been to get a local or national paper (since its a
small country) to run a picture on the last page of the first section, where they usually put all
the odd/funny stuff.

It does of course make it easier that my bikes are more or less unique here in Denmark (TE-clone
with big fairing and the Velokraft.)

Mikael

Mikael As someone (who did) have the Police locate his bike in the store window of a pawnshop only
one block away from the Police station...what are the odds eh?

The Newspaper advert is NOT a good plan, well it is but the cost of the Advert will be far more
expensive than to just buy 5 new bents.
------------------------------------

> "Michael L Hanslits" skrev...
> > 2002 Lightning Phantom II, black, serial # L5145, about 1000 miles with eggbeater pedals, rear
> > rack, Cateye Astrale computer, fenders stolen
from my
> > garage in Salem, OR yesterday. Appreciate notification if anyone comes across a black Phantom
> > for sale in the Pac. Northwest over the next few days.
>
> I think someone once found his stolen bike in a local pawnshop. Might be worth a shot.
>
> My plan for dealing with biketheft has always been to get a local or national paper (since its a
> small country) to run a picture on the last
page
> of the first section, where they usually put all the odd/funny stuff.
>
> It does of course make it easier that my bikes are more or less unique here in Denmark (TE-clone
> with big fairing and the Velokraft.)
>
> Mikael

"Joshua Goldberg" skrev

> The Newspaper advert is NOT a good plan, well it is but the cost of the Advert will be far more
> expensive than to just buy 5 new bents.

Who said anything about an ad? As I explained the last page of the first section deals with odd
and/or fun stuff like manipulated pictures of Bush etc.

A weird bike gone missing would be right up their alley. They have in fact done this once before. So
I was merely suggesting trying that option in the local rag. Who knows, they might be desperate
enough to run it. ;-)

Mikael

"Human interest" stories such as a stolen recumbent would definitely make my hometown (Cumberland,
Maryland) newspaper. With a photo, it would catch the attention of every reader's eye - the perp
wouldn't have a chance! Good suggestion Mikael.

I hope it shows up. Will your homeowners policy help you out?

Chere

We read different Newspapers. Toronto Star (today) = 1/3 Paid Adverts and 2/3 an article on "The
Wave of repression that is sweeping Cuba".

Good Grief...just saw on the news that President G.W. Bush is now "considering" an invasion of
Syria. Weird I thought the next target was France.