Stolen Bike

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Daevon, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Daevon

    Daevon Guest

    Hi everyone Today someone stole my bike ... again. This is not the first time it happens to me
    because I do live in a city were bike theft are much common. What I'm seeking here is some advice on
    a good anti-theft device. I've tried every type of chain (look at the last one on this page!)
    http://www.automotomania.com/accessori/abus.asp but they've been easily cut.. Someone got any Idea?
    I've heard of harder chains, of chains with an alarm that sounds if the chain gets cut and so on...
    Please, ANY advice is welcome! Many thanks! Lorenzo

    Tags:

  2. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Daevon wrote:
    > Hi everyone Today someone stole my bike ... again. This is not the first time it happens to me
    > because I do live in a city were bike theft are much common. What I'm seeking here is some advice
    > on a good anti-theft device. I've tried every type of chain (look at the last one on this page!)
    > http://www.automotomania.com/accessori/abus.asp but they've been easily cut.. Someone got any
    > Idea? I've heard of harder chains, of chains with an alarm that sounds if the chain gets cut and
    > so on... Please, ANY advice is welcome! Many thanks! Lorenzo

    Yeh, ride a bike no one would want to steal. I've got an old rusty Schwinn with a banana seat I can
    let you have cheap. It even has front and rear reflectors and a plastic flourescent flag on a long
    fiberglass pole attached to the rear wheel. Plus, you won't have to worry about the components
    getting stolen either. It has one gear and you peddle backwards to engage the brakes.

  3. Max

    Max Guest

    "Daevon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone Today someone stole my bike ... again. This is not the first time it happens to me
    > because I do live in a city
    were
    > bike theft are much common. What I'm seeking here is some advice on a good anti-theft device. I've
    > tried every type of chain (look at the last one on this page!)
    > http://www.automotomania.com/accessori/abus.asp but they've been easily cut.. Someone got any
    > Idea? I've heard of harder chains, of chains with an alarm that sounds if the chain gets cut and
    > so on... Please, ANY advice is welcome! Many thanks! Lorenzo

    Have a look at this and also other products on the site.

    http://www.kryptonitelock.com/inetisscripts/abtinetis.exe/[email protected]?artid=3035&at-
    f=products_item&pgrp=20

  4. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    What city? I live in a small city nick- named little New York City. A few riders I know have had
    their bikes stolen multi times due to cheap cheap locking devices. Masterlock has a nice set of
    cuffs for around $ 60.00 USA. It also helps not to be gone from your bike for to long while its
    locked. I ride my bike to work and I'm able to bring it in. I use to lock it up outside till the
    horn got stolen. Which was recovered on the ride home. The stupid

    show- ed them the CF ingraved on the bottom of the can.

    I MTB 2004

  5. Dan Volker

    Dan Volker Guest

    "Daevon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone Today someone stole my bike ... again. This is not the first time it happens to me
    > because I do live in a city
    were
    > bike theft are much common. What I'm seeking here is some advice on a good anti-theft device. I've
    > tried every type of chain (look at the last one on this page!)
    > http://www.automotomania.com/accessori/abus.asp but they've been easily cut.. Someone got any
    > Idea? I've heard of harder chains, of chains with an alarm that sounds if the chain gets cut and
    > so on... Please, ANY advice is welcome! Many thanks! Lorenzo

    I would take my bike with me into any building or office I had to go into. When I do road rides in
    S. Florida, and we stop at a restaurant, if they want our business, they don't mind our putting the
    bikes inside where we can watch them. If they don't like our bikes inside, we look for a better
    place. Rarely have I had problems with this though--most places won't mind. If your bike is worth
    over 2 grand, any thief who wants it can steal it--regardless of the anti-theft devices you can put
    on it. They can all be defeated by a determined thief. I'd love to have one try and take mine while
    its parked in my view, inside a restaurant while we are eating--there would be one less bike thief
    very quickly :)

    Regards, Dan V

    Dan V

  6. Jeffp

    Jeffp Guest

    I agree, I rarely used any kind of locking device, rather I preferred to have my bike in a safe
    place, watched or secure.

    Where is the bike being left to be stolen from?

    JeffP.....

    "Dan Volker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:U%[email protected]...

    > "Daevon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi everyone Today someone stole my bike ... again. This is not the first time it happens to me
    > > because I do live in a city
    > were
    > > bike theft are much common. What I'm seeking here is some advice on a good anti-theft device.
    > > I've tried every type of chain (look at the last one on this page!)
    > > http://www.automotomania.com/accessori/abus.asp but they've been easily cut.. Someone got any
    > > Idea? I've heard of harder chains, of chains with an alarm that sounds if the chain gets cut and
    > > so on... Please, ANY advice is welcome! Many thanks! Lorenzo
    >
    > I would take my bike with me into any building or office I had to go into. When I do road rides in
    > S. Florida, and we stop at a restaurant, if they want our business, they don't mind our putting
    > the bikes inside where we can watch them. If they don't like our bikes inside, we look for a
    > better place. Rarely have I had problems with this though--most places won't mind. If your bike is
    > worth over 2 grand, any thief who wants it can steal it--regardless of the anti-theft devices you
    > can put on it. They can all be defeated by a determined thief. I'd love to have one try and take
    > mine while its parked in my view, inside a restaurant while we are eating--there would be one less
    > bike thief very quickly :)
    >
    > Regards, Dan V
    >
    > Dan V

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Hi everyone Today someone stole my bike ... again. This is not the first time it happens to me
    > because I do live in a city were bike theft are much common. What I'm seeking here is some advice
    > on a good anti-theft device. I've tried every type of chain (look at the last one on this page!)
    > http://www.automotomania.com/accessori/abus.asp but they've been easily cut.. Someone got any
    > Idea? I've heard of harder chains, of chains with an alarm that sounds if the chain gets cut and
    > so on... Please, ANY advice is welcome! Many thanks! Lorenzo

    I just started selling these locks, they seem to be of Kryptonite quality for a fraction of the
    price, so you can buy two different types and use them both. I took the biggest pair of bolt cutters
    in the shop to the Mega Link 3600 and I barely scratched it. So at least it stands up to that. They
    probably won't handle a torch or power saw however. http://www.bikeguardlocks.com
    --
    _________________________

  8. Dan Volker

    Dan Volker Guest

    "Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Hi everyone Today someone stole my bike ... again. This is not the first time it happens to me
    > > because I do live in a city
    were
    > > bike theft are much common. What I'm seeking here is some advice on a good anti-theft device.
    > > I've tried every type of chain (look at the last one on this page!)
    > > http://www.automotomania.com/accessori/abus.asp but they've been easily cut.. Someone got any
    > > Idea? I've heard of harder chains, of chains with an
    alarm
    > > that sounds if the chain gets cut and so on... Please, ANY advice is welcome! Many thanks!
    > > Lorenzo
    > >

    > I just started selling these locks, they seem to be of Kryptonite quality for a fraction of the
    > price, so you can buy two different types and use them both. I took the biggest pair of bolt
    > cutters in the shop to the Mega Link 3600 and I barely scratched it. So at least it stands up to
    > that. They probably won't handle a torch or power saw however. http://www.bikeguardlocks.com
    > --
    > _________________________
    > Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia

    I saw a news special once where they showed big locks like this, being sprayed with freon or some
    other ultra cold liquid form of a gas, bringing the lock to a temperature somewhere around or below
    100 degrees below zero--maybe way lower, I don't recall....This took a few seconds of spraying, then
    the theif would just smack the lock with a bar or something, and the lock would shatter like glass.
    For every type of lock or special cable the program showed, the thiefs had an near instantaneous
    solution to breaking it....

    Dan V

  9. > I saw a news special once where they showed big locks like this, being sprayed with freon or some
    > other ultra cold liquid form of a gas, bringing the lock to a temperature somewhere around or
    > below 100 degrees below zero--maybe way lower, I don't recall....This took a few seconds of
    > spraying, then the theif would just smack the lock with a bar or something, and the lock would
    > shatter like glass. For every type of lock or special cable the program showed, the thiefs had an
    > near instantaneous solution to breaking it....
    >
    > Dan V

    I think I saw that one or a similar one, cable locks took like 5 seconds, good u-locks like 10-30
    seconds, chains about the same. The only thing that increased the time it took to steal the bike to
    a minute or more was multiple locks of different types and that's only if it wasn't locked to
    somethign that itself could be cut even faster.
    --
    _________________________

  10. On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:43:56 -0400, Chris Phillipo wrote:

    > I think I saw that one or a similar one, cable locks took like 5 seconds, good u-locks like 10-30
    > seconds, chains about the same. The only thing that increased the time it took to steal the bike
    > to a minute or more was multiple locks of different types and that's only if it wasn't locked to
    > somethign that itself could be cut even faster.

    I used to chain my bike to one of the main power conduits leading to the engineering quad. Never in
    3 years did anyone try to steal my bike.

    As in real estate, location is everything.

    --Kamus

  11. Daevon wrote:
    > Hi everyone Today someone stole my bike ... again. This is not the first time it happens to me
    > because I do live in a city were bike theft are much common. What I'm seeking here is some advice
    > on a good anti-theft device. I've tried every type of chain (look at the last one on this page!)
    > http://www.automotomania.com/accessori/abus.asp but they've been easily cut.. Someone got any
    > Idea? I've heard of harder chains, of chains with an alarm that sounds if the chain gets cut and
    > so on... Please, ANY advice is welcome! Many thanks! Lorenzo

    Sheldon Brown has some interesting thoughts upon this. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-
    strategy.html

    In short he says to carry both a U-lock and a cable lock. Both can be cut open by a thief but they
    require different tools. Chances are that the thief to be is specializing on one or the other. And
    of course to have a bike that nobody wants to steal. Only problem with that is I wouldn't want to
    ride it either.

    I only ever lock up my commuter bike. My nice roadbike and even nicer MTB I never ever leave
    out of sight.

    --
    Perre

  12. Westie

    Westie Guest

    Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > Daevon wrote:
    >> Hi everyone Today someone stole my bike ... again. This is not the first time it happens to me
    >> because I do live in a city were bike theft are much common. What I'm seeking here is some advice
    >> on a good anti-theft device. I've tried every type of chain (look at the last one on this page!)
    >> http://www.automotomania.com/accessori/abus.asp but they've been easily cut.. Someone got any
    >> Idea? I've heard of harder chains, of chains with an alarm that sounds if the chain gets cut and
    >> so on... Please, ANY advice is welcome! Many thanks! Lorenzo

    <snip>
    >and a plastic flourescent flag on a long fiberglass pole attached to the rear wheel.

    Whoo Hoo. Go the chopperguard! That brings back memories ;-)
    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

  13. Mpd Blue

    Mpd Blue Guest