Stolen Mountain Bike

MDS

Guest
Hi All,

Someone broke into my garage last night and hacked through a Krypotonite
lock to take my bike.

It's a Yellow 18" frame Men's Motiv Vortex. Bright yellow with balck and red
trim. Black rims. It occured in Aliso Viejo, CA. If anyone see's one in the
area that they hav enot seen before could you drop me a line, not the
biggest loss in the world but it was few hundred dollars and quite frankly,
perfect for my level of expertise.

I know the odds are horrible of anyone finding it and actually getting back
to me but you never know. The good news is once I let enough time go by to
accept the loss I'll buy myself a better bike and just keep it in the house.

Thanks

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 16:43:01 -0800, MDS <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Someone broke into my garage last night and hacked through a Krypotonite
> lock to take my bike.
>
> It's a Yellow 18" frame Men's Motiv Vortex. Bright yellow with balck and
> red
> trim. Black rims. It occured in Aliso Viejo, CA. If anyone see's one in
> the
> area that they hav enot seen before could you drop me a line, not the
> biggest loss in the world but it was few hundred dollars and quite
> frankly,
> perfect for my level of expertise.
>
> I know the odds are horrible of anyone finding it and actually getting
> back
> to me but you never know. The good news is once I let enough time go by
> accept the loss I'll buy myself a better bike and just keep it in the
> house.
>
> Thanks

That really sucks. I've always that of Aliso as a really low crime area.I
guess the thieves down there are too stupid to use a $.39 Bic pen instead
of hard manual labor.

If you have a picture of it or a close facsimile, it would help.
--
Slacker

LOL. It was one of the newer locks that could not be picked with a Bic!

And aren't all thieves pretty F'ing stupid?

I'm guessing I'll see some ass wipe riding it around here one of these days.
I'll decide what to do when the time comes!

The picture idea is pretty good but I don't think I have any, I'll need to
look.

"MDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Someone broke into my garage last night and hacked through a Krypotonite
> lock to take my bike.

Sorry to hear your bike was stolen!

I'd be interested in knowing what you think they used to get through the
lock it and seeing a photo of it if possible.

Thanks,
Scott

--
Scott Ehardt
http://www.scehardt.com

"MDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Someone broke into my garage last night and hacked through a Krypotonite
> lock to take my bike.
>
> It's a Yellow 18" frame Men's Motiv Vortex. Bright yellow with balck and
> red trim. Black rims. It occured in Aliso Viejo, CA. If anyone see's one
> in the area that they hav enot seen before could you drop me a line, not
> the biggest loss in the world but it was few hundred dollars and quite
> frankly, perfect for my level of expertise.
>
> I know the odds are horrible of anyone finding it and actually getting
> back to me but you never know. The good news is once I let enough time go
> by to accept the loss I'll buy myself a better bike and just keep it in
> the house.

Sorry about the theft. If the lock was hacked through, shouldn't the
insurance kick in ?

Firewalker wrote:
> "MDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>Someone broke into my garage last night and hacked through a Krypotonite
>>lock to take my bike.
>>
>>It's a Yellow 18" frame Men's Motiv Vortex. Bright yellow with balck and
>>red trim. Black rims. It occured in Aliso Viejo, CA. If anyone see's one
>>in the area that they hav enot seen before could you drop me a line, not
>>the biggest loss in the world but it was few hundred dollars and quite
>>frankly, perfect for my level of expertise.
>>
>>I know the odds are horrible of anyone finding it and actually getting
>>back to me but you never know. The good news is once I let enough time go
>>by to accept the loss I'll buy myself a better bike and just keep it in
>>the house.

> Sorry about the theft. If the lock was hacked through, shouldn't the
> insurance kick in ?

At least the homeowners minus the deductable.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Thanks,

They used either a hacksaw or a portable grinder. The police took the lock
for fingerprinting and evidence.

news:[email protected]...

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Firewalker wrote:>>
>>
>> Sorry about the theft. If the lock was hacked through, shouldn't the
>> insurance kick in ?
>>

> At least the homeowners minus the deductable.

Doesn't Kryptonite have insurance against bike theft? I think that's what is
being referred to.

penny

small change wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>
>>Firewalker wrote:>>
>>
>>>Sorry about the theft. If the lock was hacked through, shouldn't the
>>>insurance kick in ?
>>>

>>At least the homeowners minus the deductable.

> Doesn't Kryptonite have insurance against bike theft? I think that's what is
> being referred to.
>
> penny

But it doesn't hurt to get a little extra. It should be covered under
homeowners as well.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

> Thanks,
>
> They used either a hacksaw or a portable grinder. The police took the lock
> for fingerprinting and evidence.

Ah I see... good to know the police actually seem to care!

--
Scott Ehardt
http://www.scehardt.com

MDS wrote in message ...
>Hi All,
>
>Someone broke into my garage last night and hacked through a Krypotonite
>lock to take my bike.
>
>It's a Yellow 18" frame Men's Motiv Vortex. Bright yellow with balck and

red
>trim. Black rims. It occured in Aliso Viejo, CA. If anyone see's one in the
>area that they hav enot seen before could you drop me a line, not the
>biggest loss in the world but it was few hundred dollars and quite frankly,
>perfect for my level of expertise.
>
>I know the odds are horrible of anyone finding it and actually getting back
>to me but you never know. The good news is once I let enough time go by to
>accept the loss I'll buy myself a better bike and just keep it in the

house.

>Thanks

Home and contents insurance? Should fix you up with new bike.

"MDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Someone broke into my garage last night and hacked through a Krypotonite
> lock to take my bike.
>
> It's a Yellow 18" frame Men's Motiv Vortex. Bright yellow with balck and
> red trim. Black rims. It occured in Aliso Viejo, CA. If anyone see's one
> in the area that they hav enot seen before could you drop me a line, not
> the biggest loss in the world but it was few hundred dollars and quite
> frankly, perfect for my level of expertise.
>
> I know the odds are horrible of anyone finding it and actually getting
> back to me but you never know. The good news is once I let enough time go
> by to accept the loss I'll buy myself a better bike and just keep it in
> the house.
>
> Thanks

That sucks. I had a Motiv at one time. AND it got stolen. The fool brought
it back, tho.

Probably worth getting the ins company involved. The deductible is probably
more than it's worth. One recently sold at www.stealitback.com for $110.

Still...any bike getting stolen is a bummer. Now's your chance to get a new
one. ((((psssst...bike shop...))))

Pete

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> small change wrote:
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:

>> Doesn't Kryptonite have insurance against bike theft? I think that's what
>> is
>> being referred to.
>>
>> penny
>>

> But it doesn't hurt to get a little extra. It should be covered under
> homeowners as well.

That sort of attitude is why insurance rates are so high. Padding claims
shows lack of character.

"MDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Someone broke into my garage last night and hacked through a Krypotonite
> lock to take my bike.

<snip>
> The good news is once I let enough time go by to accept the loss I'll buy
> myself a better bike and just keep it in the house.

I have no idea if insurance works the same there as it does in Australia,
but we have insurance here called "House and Contents" insurance. It covers
things stolen from the garage as well as the house.
My insurance policy just paid up on my Merida stolen from my garage a few
months back. The only reason I'm not already riding my new bike without
having to "let enough time go by" is because the bike I ordered to replace
it hasn't even arrived in Australia yet, so I'll be waiting a few more
weeks, but most insurance will pay up in a matter of days if they have proof
of purchase (I didn't, but the LBS wrote me up a certificate of valuation
based on their knowledge of my bike)

Trentus

Firewalker wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>small change wrote:
>>
>>>Ride-A-Lot wrote:

>>>Doesn't Kryptonite have insurance against bike theft? I think that's what
>>>is
>>>being referred to.
>>>
>>>penny
>>>

>>But it doesn't hurt to get a little extra. It should be covered under
>>homeowners as well.

> That sort of attitude is why insurance rates are so high. Padding claims
> shows lack of character.

Who said anything about padding. Both Kryptonite and Homeowners have a
deductible. I think it is quite fair to recover the deductible at
least. Just because you bought a Kryptonite lock should not preclude
you from recovering what is covered under your homeowners insurance.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

MDS <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Someone broke into my garage last night and hacked through a
> Krypotonite lock to take my bike.
>
> It's a Yellow 18" frame Men's Motiv Vortex. Bright yellow with balck
> and red trim. Black rims. It occured in Aliso Viejo, CA. If anyone
> see's one in the area that they hav enot seen before could you drop
> me a line, not the biggest loss in the world but it was few hundred
> dollars and quite frankly, perfect for my level of expertise.
>
> I know the odds are horrible of anyone finding it and actually
> getting back to me but you never know. The good news is once I let
> enough time go by to accept the loss I'll buy myself a better bike
> and just keep it in the house.
>
> Thanks

What does your insurance co. say? BTW, we have relatives in Aliso
Viejo; I'll warn them!

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Firewalker wrote:
>> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> But it doesn't hurt to get a little extra. It should be covered
>>> under homeowners as well.

>> That sort of attitude is why insurance rates are so high. Padding
>> claims shows lack of character.
>>

> Who said anything about padding. Both Kryptonite and Homeowners have
> a deductible. I think it is quite fair to recover the deductible at
> least. Just because you bought a Kryptonite lock should not preclude
> you from recovering what is covered under your homeowners insurance.

even with a good insurer and replacement value, they will most likely
depreciate the bike anyway.

~penny

> Someone broke into my garage last night and hacked through a
> Krypotonite lock to take my bike.

> What does your insurance co. say?

Be very careful about claiming your loss on your home owners insurance policy, especially if you have other claims within the past few years. I learned the hard way that it really is not worth it and that the insurance should only be used for catastrophic loss. With our replacement value policy, I received full reimbursement for my stolen bike (around $1500), but the insurance company failed to warn me that they would be tacking on a "claim surcharge" for the next three years. The charge for three years is around $600. We lessened the pain a bit by raising our deductible and deciding to only use the policy for major loss. We had two claims for water damage within the past five years, so the bike claim put us at the 3-claim max making the surcharge kick in. No matter if the claims were $50 or $50,000, all they do is count the number of claims. When we thought "to heck with this" and shopped around for a different company, nobody would take us unless we wanted to be under a "high-risk" policy.

So, evaluate it. Do you have a full-replacement value policy? If not, consider what the deductible plus any potential future charges may cost you before you claim the bike. It may or may not be worth claiming it on your policy.

BTW, Kryptonite lock insurance policies also must be read thoroughly. They have limitations and may involve costs.

Good luck! I know the pain of losing a bike, and it stinks.

small change wrote:

> even with a good insurer and replacement value, they will most likely
> depreciate the bike anyway.
>
> ~penny

When my race mtb bike was stolen from the garage my insurance company paid
for the cost of the bike when new less the $500 deductible. I just had to
show evidence of what I paid and had a few riding buddies back me up with
letters.

They got me on the end around though and raised my rates slightly......

Gary

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Firewalker wrote:
>> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>But it doesn't hurt to get a little extra. It should be covered under
>>>homeowners as well.

>> That sort of attitude is why insurance rates are so high. Padding claims
>> shows lack of character.

> Who said anything about padding. Both Kryptonite and Homeowners have a
> deductible. I think it is quite fair to recover the deductible at least.
> Just because you bought a Kryptonite lock should not preclude you from
> recovering what is covered under your homeowners insurance.

To "get a little extra" is padding. If it's insured, you pay the
deductible. Why do you think their usually so high?