Stolen recumbent recovered

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Kit Wolf, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. Kit Wolf

    Kit Wolf Guest

    A little while back my recumbent was stolen near Morpeth and I posted a 'stolen' ad here. After
    several months of adventures it found its way back to me - suffering a little from surface rust and
    vandalism, but it will live again.

    To add insult to injury, after being stolen from private farmland in the middle of nowhere it was
    abandoned unlocked on a rough estate in full public view - and stayed put for several months judging
    by its condition.

    So, Hurrah! - and thanks to those who gave suggestions as to how to recover
    it. And if you do see a recumbent with custom modified etc. etc. please _don't_ call the police!

    Kit

    [email protected]
     
    Tags:


  2. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Kit Wolf wrote:

    > So, Hurrah! - and thanks to those who gave suggestions as to how to recover it. And if you do see
    > a recumbent with custom modified etc. etc. please _don't_ call the police!

    Excellent. I remember your posting. How exactly did it find its way back?

    Simon
     
  3. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    Wow, that was way back in July last year! Great to hear you got it back in
    what sounds like fairly good condition. Who knows how many people have been
    converted to the Dark Side by it since it was stolen? :)

    Graeme
     
  4. Kit Wolf

    Kit Wolf Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:00:24 +0000, Simonb wrote:

    > Kit Wolf wrote:
    >
    >> So, Hurrah! - and thanks to those who gave suggestions as to how to recover it. And if you do see
    >> a recumbent with custom modified etc. etc. please _don't_ call the police!
    >
    > Excellent. I remember your posting. How exactly did it find its way back?

    I figured that if whoever had taken it had any nouse, they might have waited a while for the fuss to
    die down before daring to ride it anywhere. So a few weeks back, I put up a second round of posters
    in several villages near to where it was taken. A few very helpful people told me they'd seen
    someone riding about on it in Pegswood, a bleak ex-mining town - and with a few pointers the police
    managed to pick it up. Unfortunately it was outside, so no chance of catching the thief - or finding
    any of my other property. Maybe he was sensible enough not to keep it in his house for this reason -
    or maybe he didn't want his parents to find out. Apparently he's just a kid - 16 or 17ish.

    It looks like it was ridden a fair amount - more than just a joy-ride. Some of the tyres had been
    patched several times, but Mr Bicycle Thief's abilities seemed to end there and he'd botched a few
    other repairs
    - my guess is that when he reached the limits of his technical abilities, he just abandoned it. This
    is actually the bit that annoys me most - property theft I can just about understand on some
    level; destruction upsets me.

    Kit
     
  5. Kit Wolf

    Kit Wolf Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 01:23:19 +0000, Graeme wrote:

    >
    > Wow, that was way back in July last year! Great to hear you got it back in what sounds like fairly
    > good condition. Who knows how many people have been converted to the Dark Side by it since it was
    > stolen? :)

    Mr bicycle thief genuinely seemed to enjoy it - I heard a bit about his exploits from various
    sources. I now have two recumbents (unfortunately I splashed out on a new one whilst the old one was
    on holiday - and went overboard on the uglification / engraving so I probaly can't sell it) so
    someone in my family may yet get converted by it :)

    Kit
     
Loading...
Loading...