STOLEN: Shogun WRX Mountain Bikes x 2

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Bollywoodstar, Jan 11, 2005.

  1. Sorry to report that two largely identical Shogun WRX 21-spd mountain
    bikes with dual suspension, with an orange/red rear fork were stolen
    from the side yard of a house in Lynch Street, Footscray this
    afternoon. The bikes were near identical (some small differences in
    accessories) and were silver with red writing (reasonably distinctive).
    The theft took place between 12 and 4pm (we think, and I suspect it was
    more likely between 2 and 4pm) on 11/1/2005.

    We have lodged a report with the Footscray Police, set up an email
    alert with eBay, have begun regular checks on the tradingpost site, and
    have the contact details for all pawnbrokers and secondhand dealers in
    the area and will begin to make personal visits tomorrow.

    If any Melbourne-based aus.bicyclers spot bikes meeting this
    description, please contact Footscray Police on 96899633 and/or drop us
    a note in this forum.

    Thanks guys
    Chrs
    Bollywoodstar

    Tags:

  2. Bollywoodstar wrote:
    > Sorry to report that two largely identical Shogun WRX 21-spd mountain
    > bikes with dual suspension blah di blah...

    I'm exceedingly happy to report some mighty good news...Footscray CIB
    has found both our bikes! It was our good fortune that the thief was
    not a professional bike thief with the presence of mind to take the
    goods out of the neighbourhood. He was a drug user, who simply wanted
    cash, so took them down to the two closest pawnbrokers, where they were
    found by the Footscray police. We go this morning to do the second
    statement and pick up the bikes (I'll pay out the second hand dealer,
    but my partner's probably going to get the magistrate's court order).

    We take this as a message from the great pumpkin to get contents
    insurance, so we'll do that. Thanks all for listening to my mumblings
    thus far, and thanks to skewer for the note/tip about where to go to
    check for stolen bikes - we'll certainly note for if there is a next
    time.

    Cheers all
    Kellie

  3. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    Wow, talk about a turnaround in fortune! Contents insurance is definately a good idea.

    Ritch

  4. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Well done!

    what happens in this scenario?
    Do you have to pay the pawnbroker or does he hand them back and get pinged for taking stolen goods?

  5. Dallas G

    Dallas G Guest

    hi
    well done

    you DON'T have to pay to get YOUR stuff back

    http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/cbav/fairsite.nsf/pages/of_shop_SHD#stolen
    NOTE******
    This is a simple process available to consumers that does not require any
    involvement by Victoria Police and allows them to recover their goods
    without having to buy them back.

    although you have already started this is what I recommend

    get the police to lodge a notice on the goods at the crime converters
    then go to a court house and get an order to get the items back
    do this ASAP so the stuff doesn't sell
    its amazing how fast something is sold as cash (with no buyers record) as
    soon as you alert the shop

    the shop MUST give the items back with NO CHARGE to you
    I've had radio stuff stolen and recovered and although the shop WILL try to
    make things hard the items were returned w no cost to me

    take ALL you paperwork everywhere you go a the court will want to see all of
    it

    if the shop is slack you may also get the name and address of the crim too
    my goods had his details left on them :)
    the police suggested I don't press charges or go to court over it as the
    junkie has nothing of worth to sue over
    but I've tucked away his details for a later day :))

    if you have already paid follow it up with the CIB that handled your matter
    they can pressure them to return your money

    again
    http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/cbav/fairsite.nsf/pages/of_shop_SHD#stolen
    NOTE******
    This is a simple process available to consumers that does not require any
    involvement by Victoria Police and allows them to recover their goods
    without having to buy them back.

    more here
    http://www.bla.vic.gov.au/bla/blasite.nsf/pages/bla_pawn_list#list

    HTH

    Dallas

    When in doubt, jiggle the cable.
    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]orums.com> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > Bollywoodstar Wrote:
    >> Bollywoodstar wrote:
    >> > Sorry to report that two largely identical Shogun WRX 21-spd

    >> mountain
    >> > bikes with dual suspension blah di blah...

    >> I'm exceedingly happy to report some mighty good news...Footscray CIB
    >> has found both our bikes! It was our good fortune that the thief was
    >> not a professional bike thief with the presence of mind to take the
    >> goods out of the neighbourhood. He was a drug user, who simply wanted
    >> cash, so took them down to the two closest pawnbrokers, where they
    >> were
    >> found by the Footscray police. We go this morning to do the second
    >> statement and pick up the bikes (I'll pay out the second hand dealer,
    >> but my partner's probably going to get the magistrate's court order).
    >>
    >> We take this as a message from the great pumpkin to get contents
    >> insurance, so we'll do that. Thanks all for listening to my mumblings
    >> thus far, and thanks to skewer for the note/tip about where to go to
    >> check for stolen bikes - we'll certainly note for if there is a next
    >> time.
    >>
    >> Cheers all
    >> Kellie

    > Well done!
    >
    > what happens in this scenario?
    > Do you have to pay the pawnbroker or does he hand them back and get
    > pinged for taking stolen goods?
    >

    > --
    > flyingdutch

  6. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    Contents insurance wont usually help for bikes stolen from outside a house though, right? I called RACV once and they said something like "bike must be securely locked to an immovable object inside the house and we only cover up to $500".

    hippy

  7. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    The Bicycle Gods have smiled upon thee! Also, you're correct about contents insurance, certainly worth obtaining.

  8. Thanks!

    If we want to get the bikes back now we pay what they paid - $80 for my
    partner's bike and $50 for mine. However, we are both now leaning
    towards going the magistrate's court order (see Dallas' post). Takes
    about 28 days as the dealer has 21 days to respond to the court order.
    But since I'm recovering from a leg operation and won't be needing my
    ride for at least a month, and since my partner's feeling bolshie about
    paying for the pleasure of having his bike stolen, we don't mind the
    delay.

    If the thief had been found with the bikes, he could be pinged for
    taking stolen goods. However, the pawnbrokers have paid for the bikes
    in good faith. At the moment, the pawnbrokers and my partner and I have
    a financial interest in the bikes, so it's not just a matter of us
    taking them back. The copper did say though that the dealers are a bit
    silly for buying bikes like that because they should have known that
    chances are high that they've been stolen, and they will lose their
    money if the magistrate finds in our favour. And the magistrate is very
    likely to find in our favour because there is plenty of documentation
    supporting our case (police report, statement, and in the case of my
    bike: sales receipt and fully populated warranty card including serial
    number).

    Anyway, thanks for the good thoughts. Am happy for our experiences to
    be chalked up to the collective folklore! I wish others similar good
    fortune.

    Cheers
    Kellie

  9. Thanks for this advice...it's good to have reference sites to look at.
    This story is pretty much what the copper told us. He also gave us good
    advice to call up the courthouse ahead of time to find out when would
    be the best time to go down so we're not standing around all day. The
    copper got the dealers to hold the goods and has told us that if we
    decide to go the magistrate court order (which we have decided to do)
    to let him know if we would like him to be present when we go pick up
    the bikes, or if we have any trouble at all to give him a call. Nice to
    have them on side :]

    The copper also gave us 'feedback' from the thief that he found it
    exceedingly easy to pinch our bikes. Nice to know, so we can pull our
    fingers out and secure our house. :]
    Anyway, thanks for the thoughts.

    cheers
    Kellie

  10. >Contents insurance wont usually help for bikes stolen from outside a
    >house though, right? I called RACV once and they said something like
    >"bike must be securely locked to an immovable object inside the house
    >and we only cover up to $500".

    Hiya hippy

    I think it depends on the insurance provider. I've sought quotes before
    and one provider required only that the access to the backyard was
    lockable (also the value insured to for specific items also depends on
    the provider. Some do 'special items' up to a couple of thousand in
    value). However, I'll confirm that. We'll post details when we work out
    who to go with.

    Cheers
    Kellie

  11. flyingdutch wrote:
    >Well done!

    Thanks!

  12. "Dallas G" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >hi
    >well done

    >you DON'T have to pay to get YOUR stuff back

    <snip>

    Thanks for all yr advice...good info.