STOLEN: Shogun WRX Mountain Bikes x 2

Bollywoodstar

Guest
Sorry to report that two largely identical Shogun WRX 21-spd mountain
bikes with dual suspension, with an orange/red rear fork were stolen
from the side yard of a house in Lynch Street, Footscray this
afternoon. The bikes were near identical (some small differences in
accessories) and were silver with red writing (reasonably distinctive).
The theft took place between 12 and 4pm (we think, and I suspect it was
more likely between 2 and 4pm) on 11/1/2005.

We have lodged a report with the Footscray Police, set up an email
alert with eBay, have begun regular checks on the tradingpost site, and
have the contact details for all pawnbrokers and secondhand dealers in
the area and will begin to make personal visits tomorrow.

If any Melbourne-based aus.bicyclers spot bikes meeting this
description, please contact Footscray Police on 96899633 and/or drop us
a note in this forum.

Thanks guys
Chrs
Bollywoodstar

Bollywoodstar wrote:
> Sorry to report that two largely identical Shogun WRX 21-spd mountain
> bikes with dual suspension blah di blah...

I'm exceedingly happy to report some mighty good news...Footscray CIB
has found both our bikes! It was our good fortune that the thief was
not a professional bike thief with the presence of mind to take the
goods out of the neighbourhood. He was a drug user, who simply wanted
cash, so took them down to the two closest pawnbrokers, where they were
found by the Footscray police. We go this morning to do the second
statement and pick up the bikes (I'll pay out the second hand dealer,
but my partner's probably going to get the magistrate's court order).

We take this as a message from the great pumpkin to get contents
insurance, so we'll do that. Thanks all for listening to my mumblings
thus far, and thanks to skewer for the note/tip about where to go to
check for stolen bikes - we'll certainly note for if there is a next
time.

Cheers all
Kellie

Bollywoodstar said:
Bollywoodstar wrote:
> Sorry to report that two largely identical Shogun WRX 21-spd mountain
> bikes with dual suspension blah di blah...

I'm exceedingly happy to report some mighty good news...Footscray CIB
has found both our bikes! It was our good fortune that the thief was
not a professional bike thief with the presence of mind to take the
goods out of the neighbourhood. He was a drug user, who simply wanted
cash, so took them down to the two closest pawnbrokers, where they were
found by the Footscray police. We go this morning to do the second
statement and pick up the bikes (I'll pay out the second hand dealer,
but my partner's probably going to get the magistrate's court order).

We take this as a message from the great pumpkin to get contents
insurance, so we'll do that. Thanks all for listening to my mumblings
thus far, and thanks to skewer for the note/tip about where to go to
check for stolen bikes - we'll certainly note for if there is a next
time.

Cheers all
Kellie

Wow, talk about a turnaround in fortune! Contents insurance is definately a good idea.

Ritch

Bollywoodstar said:
Bollywoodstar wrote:
> Sorry to report that two largely identical Shogun WRX 21-spd mountain
> bikes with dual suspension blah di blah...

I'm exceedingly happy to report some mighty good news...Footscray CIB
has found both our bikes! It was our good fortune that the thief was
not a professional bike thief with the presence of mind to take the
goods out of the neighbourhood. He was a drug user, who simply wanted
cash, so took them down to the two closest pawnbrokers, where they were
found by the Footscray police. We go this morning to do the second
statement and pick up the bikes (I'll pay out the second hand dealer,
but my partner's probably going to get the magistrate's court order).

We take this as a message from the great pumpkin to get contents
insurance, so we'll do that. Thanks all for listening to my mumblings
thus far, and thanks to skewer for the note/tip about where to go to
check for stolen bikes - we'll certainly note for if there is a next
time.

Cheers all
Kellie

Well done!

what happens in this scenario?
Do you have to pay the pawnbroker or does he hand them back and get pinged for taking stolen goods?

hi
well done

you DON'T have to pay to get YOUR stuff back

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/cbav/fairsite.nsf/pages/of_shop_SHD#stolen
NOTE******
This is a simple process available to consumers that does not require any
involvement by Victoria Police and allows them to recover their goods
without having to buy them back.

although you have already started this is what I recommend

get the police to lodge a notice on the goods at the crime converters
then go to a court house and get an order to get the items back
do this ASAP so the stuff doesn't sell
its amazing how fast something is sold as cash (with no buyers record) as
soon as you alert the shop

the shop MUST give the items back with NO CHARGE to you
I've had radio stuff stolen and recovered and although the shop WILL try to
make things hard the items were returned w no cost to me

take ALL you paperwork everywhere you go a the court will want to see all of
it

if the shop is slack you may also get the name and address of the crim too
my goods had his details left on them :)
the police suggested I don't press charges or go to court over it as the
junkie has nothing of worth to sue over
but I've tucked away his details for a later day :))

if you have already paid follow it up with the CIB that handled your matter
they can pressure them to return your money

again
http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/cbav/fairsite.nsf/pages/of_shop_SHD#stolen
NOTE******
This is a simple process available to consumers that does not require any
involvement by Victoria Police and allows them to recover their goods
without having to buy them back.

more here
http://www.bla.vic.gov.au/bla/blasite.nsf/pages/bla_pawn_list#list

HTH

Dallas

When in doubt, jiggle the cable.
"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

ritcho said:
Wow, talk about a turnaround in fortune! Contents insurance is definately a good idea.

Contents insurance wont usually help for bikes stolen from outside a house though, right? I called RACV once and they said something like "bike must be securely locked to an immovable object inside the house and we only cover up to $500".

hippy

Bollywoodstar said:
Bollywoodstar wrote:
We take this as a message from the great pumpkin to get contents
insurance, so we'll do that. Thanks all for listening to my mumblings
thus far, and thanks to skewer for the note/tip about where to go to
check for stolen bikes - we'll certainly note for if there is a next
time.

Cheers all
Kellie

The Bicycle Gods have smiled upon thee! Also, you're correct about contents insurance, certainly worth obtaining.

Thanks!

If we want to get the bikes back now we pay what they paid - $80 for my
partner's bike and $50 for mine. However, we are both now leaning
towards going the magistrate's court order (see Dallas' post). Takes
about 28 days as the dealer has 21 days to respond to the court order.
But since I'm recovering from a leg operation and won't be needing my
ride for at least a month, and since my partner's feeling bolshie about
paying for the pleasure of having his bike stolen, we don't mind the
delay.

If the thief had been found with the bikes, he could be pinged for
taking stolen goods. However, the pawnbrokers have paid for the bikes
in good faith. At the moment, the pawnbrokers and my partner and I have
a financial interest in the bikes, so it's not just a matter of us
taking them back. The copper did say though that the dealers are a bit
silly for buying bikes like that because they should have known that
chances are high that they've been stolen, and they will lose their
money if the magistrate finds in our favour. And the magistrate is very
likely to find in our favour because there is plenty of documentation
supporting our case (police report, statement, and in the case of my
bike: sales receipt and fully populated warranty card including serial
number).

Anyway, thanks for the good thoughts. Am happy for our experiences to
be chalked up to the collective folklore! I wish others similar good
fortune.

Cheers
Kellie

Thanks for this advice...it's good to have reference sites to look at.
This story is pretty much what the copper told us. He also gave us good
advice to call up the courthouse ahead of time to find out when would
be the best time to go down so we're not standing around all day. The
copper got the dealers to hold the goods and has told us that if we
decide to go the magistrate court order (which we have decided to do)
to let him know if we would like him to be present when we go pick up
the bikes, or if we have any trouble at all to give him a call. Nice to
have them on side :]

The copper also gave us 'feedback' from the thief that he found it
exceedingly easy to pinch our bikes. Nice to know, so we can pull our
fingers out and secure our house. :]
Anyway, thanks for the thoughts.

cheers
Kellie

>Contents insurance wont usually help for bikes stolen from outside a
>house though, right? I called RACV once and they said something like
>"bike must be securely locked to an immovable object inside the house
>and we only cover up to $500".

Hiya hippy

I think it depends on the insurance provider. I've sought quotes before
and one provider required only that the access to the backyard was
lockable (also the value insured to for specific items also depends on
the provider. Some do 'special items' up to a couple of thousand in
value). However, I'll confirm that. We'll post details when we work out
who to go with.

Cheers
Kellie

flyingdutch wrote:
>Well done!

Thanks!

"Dallas G" <[email protected]> wrote:

>hi
>well done

>you DON'T have to pay to get YOUR stuff back

<snip>

Thanks for all yr advice...good info.