Stolen Wheel! Looking to replace a Carrera Subway 2 Rear Wheel

Cycling John

Jan 8, 2008
Hi,

I've recently managed to have the rear wheel, complete with attached disc and gear cassette, stolen from my Carrera Subway 2. Halfords have quoted me £30 for the wheel, much to my delight, but then carried on about innertubes, disc brake etc for a total cost of about £90. That's more than half what I paid for the bike in the first place! What's the best solution?

The best solution would be to find the theif and beat him to death with someone elses wheel. At least you would feel better:p . Beyond that, I really can't help you. Good luck though. You posted in the right place to get help.

ebay, or online ordering, are your solutions. Buy wheel, disc rotor and bolts, cassette, tyre and tube, and put them all together. You will need a cassette tool and a torq key for the rotor bolts - if you do not have these, or do not know what I am talking about, then give your custom to your bike shop. Replacing parts on cheap bikes, just like with cheap cars, always leads to an unflattering comparison with the original purchase price.

Aside from thrashing the thief, which I'd really quite like to do, I think ebay is the way to go. Are all discs/ wheels created equal? Or do I need to buy a specific disc for my Tektro disc brakes? And if the wheel is smaller/ larger, would it still fit? What about getting a substantially better wheel? Would it make a noticeable difference to the ride?

Thanks!

Cycling John said:
Hi,

I've recently managed to have the rear wheel, complete with attached disc and gear cassette, stolen from my Carrera Subway 2. Halfords have quoted me £30 for the wheel, much to my delight, but then carried on about innertubes, disc brake etc for a total cost of about £90. That's more than half what I paid for the bike in the first place! What's the best solution?

Your new disc rotor needs to be the right diameter for your disc caliper mounts - it's almost certainly the same diameter as your front disc. The disc needs to have the correct bolt circle diameter for your new hub - there are at least two standards. I'm not certain how much variation in disc rotor thickness exists - this may be important, check what Tektro calipers should take before buying. The wheel needs to be the same diameter as before, but rim width is not critical, except that it should be about right for your intended tyre. A more expensive wheel will not feel different to before, but may last longer.