Stoneage Trig Point?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by WheresThePath.com, Jun 13, 2005.

  1. Before I go any further I'd like to point out that I am not a trig
    point bagger, despite what some other people think, (frankly I have
    better things to do than visit concrete pillars) however it's nice
    when you climb a hill to find something at the top whether it be a
    tower, trig point or cairn just to mark the top, and in the case of
    towers it's a good reason to climb up the hill in the first place
    (however the fact that the hill is there is a good enough reason for
    me!)

    The reason for my posting is that when out on our continuing quest to
    visit the highest point in every county (maybe trig point bagging
    isn't that silly) we were at the highest point in surrey sitting on a
    bench next to the tower (TQ 13935 43186) looked down and there at my
    feet , carved in to a rough block of stone was a triangle with a indent
    in the middle, which looked very similar to the symbols on the OS maps
    for a trig points.

    Coming from a background of trig points being square pillars of
    concrete about 4ft, this is something strange, does anyone know about
    this carved thing, is it really a trig point? Does anyone know of any
    others like this (not that I am going to check them out!)

    Please see a pic of this on our website (scroll down the page):
    http://www.wheresthepath.com/county_tops/ct_surrey.htm

    Many Thanks

    James
    e-mail: queries(a)wheresthepath.com

    Tags:

  2. Rob Devereux

    Rob Devereux Guest

    Maybe they wouldnt allow it on the tower or around to spoil the view...

    Rob

    "WheresThePath.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Before I go any further I'd like to point out that I am not a trig
    > point bagger, despite what some other people think, (frankly I have
    > better things to do than visit concrete pillars) however it's nice
    > when you climb a hill to find something at the top whether it be a
    > tower, trig point or cairn just to mark the top, and in the case of
    > towers it's a good reason to climb up the hill in the first place
    > (however the fact that the hill is there is a good enough reason for
    > me!)
    >
    > The reason for my posting is that when out on our continuing quest to
    > visit the highest point in every county (maybe trig point bagging
    > isn't that silly) we were at the highest point in surrey sitting on a
    > bench next to the tower (TQ 13935 43186) looked down and there at my
    > feet , carved in to a rough block of stone was a triangle with a indent
    > in the middle, which looked very similar to the symbols on the OS maps
    > for a trig points.
    >
    > Coming from a background of trig points being square pillars of
    > concrete about 4ft, this is something strange, does anyone know about
    > this carved thing, is it really a trig point? Does anyone know of any
    > others like this (not that I am going to check them out!)
    >
    > Please see a pic of this on our website (scroll down the page):
    > http://www.wheresthepath.com/county_tops/ct_surrey.htm
    >
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > James
    > e-mail: queries(a)wheresthepath.com

  3. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On 13 Jun 2005 05:13:33 -0700, "WheresThePath.com"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Coming from a background of trig points being square pillars of
    >concrete about 4ft, this is something strange, does anyone know about
    >this carved thing, is it really a trig point?

    There are ground-level trig points such as the one on Branstree, here
    partly concealed by snow and a cairn:
    http://www.geocities.com/paulrooney2003/BranstreeTrig.jpg

    "I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone

  4. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    WheresThePath.com <[email protected]> writes
    >Before I go any further I'd like to point out that I am not a trig
    >point bagger, despite what some other people think, (frankly I have
    >better things to do than visit concrete pillars) however it's nice
    >when you climb a hill to find something at the top whether it be a
    >tower, trig point or cairn just to mark the top, and in the case of
    >towers it's a good reason to climb up the hill in the first place
    >(however the fact that the hill is there is a good enough reason for
    >me!)
    >
    >The reason for my posting is that when out on our continuing quest to
    >visit the highest point in every county (maybe trig point bagging
    >isn't that silly) we were at the highest point in surrey sitting on a
    >bench next to the tower (TQ 13935 43186) looked down and there at my
    >feet , carved in to a rough block of stone was a triangle with a indent
    >in the middle, which looked very similar to the symbols on the OS maps
    >for a trig points.
    >
    >Coming from a background of trig points being square pillars of
    >concrete about 4ft, this is something strange, does anyone know about
    >this carved thing, is it really a trig point? Does anyone know of any
    >others like this (not that I am going to check them out!)
    >
    >Please see a pic of this on our website (scroll down the page):
    >http://www.wheresthepath.com/county_tops/ct_surrey.htm
    >
    >Many Thanks
    >
    >James
    >e-mail: queries(a)wheresthepath.com

    A n O S Bench mark. It would have been surveyed an its height recorded.
    If you look ion the OS map it should be there with its height.

    These marks / \ usually have a horizontal line beneath which is the
    level
    / | \

    point, and can be see on walls and buildings wherever the OS wants a
    reference level.
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  5. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Rooney
    <[email protected]> writes
    >On 13 Jun 2005 05:13:33 -0700, "WheresThePath.com"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Coming from a background of trig points being square pillars of
    >>concrete about 4ft, this is something strange, does anyone know about
    >>this carved thing, is it really a trig point?

    >There are ground-level trig points such as the one on Branstree, here
    >partly concealed by snow and a cairn:
    >http://www.geocities.com/paulrooney2003/BranstreeTrig.jpg

    Now /that/is a crap photo :)
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  6. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 13:58:16 +0100, "W. D. Grey"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Rooney
    ><[email protected]> writes
    >>On 13 Jun 2005 05:13:33 -0700, "WheresThePath.com"
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Coming from a background of trig points being square pillars of
    >>>concrete about 4ft, this is something strange, does anyone know about
    >>>this carved thing, is it really a trig point?

    >>There are ground-level trig points such as the one on Branstree, here
    >>partly concealed by snow and a cairn:
    >>http://www.geocities.com/paulrooney2003/BranstreeTrig.jpg

    >Now /that/is a crap photo :)

    Ha ha! I have to agree!

    "I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone