Stoneage Trig Point?

WheresThePath.com

Guest
Before I go any further I'd like to point out that I am not a trig
point bagger, despite what some other people think, (frankly I have
better things to do than visit concrete pillars) however it's nice
when you climb a hill to find something at the top whether it be a
tower, trig point or cairn just to mark the top, and in the case of
towers it's a good reason to climb up the hill in the first place
(however the fact that the hill is there is a good enough reason for
me!)

The reason for my posting is that when out on our continuing quest to
visit the highest point in every county (maybe trig point bagging
isn't that silly) we were at the highest point in surrey sitting on a
bench next to the tower (TQ 13935 43186) looked down and there at my
feet , carved in to a rough block of stone was a triangle with a indent
in the middle, which looked very similar to the symbols on the OS maps
for a trig points.

Coming from a background of trig points being square pillars of
concrete about 4ft, this is something strange, does anyone know about
this carved thing, is it really a trig point? Does anyone know of any
others like this (not that I am going to check them out!)

Please see a pic of this on our website (scroll down the page):
http://www.wheresthepath.com/county_tops/ct_surrey.htm

Many Thanks

James
e-mail: queries(a)wheresthepath.com

Maybe they wouldnt allow it on the tower or around to spoil the view...

Rob

"WheresThePath.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Before I go any further I'd like to point out that I am not a trig
> point bagger, despite what some other people think, (frankly I have
> better things to do than visit concrete pillars) however it's nice
> when you climb a hill to find something at the top whether it be a
> tower, trig point or cairn just to mark the top, and in the case of
> towers it's a good reason to climb up the hill in the first place
> (however the fact that the hill is there is a good enough reason for
> me!)
>
> The reason for my posting is that when out on our continuing quest to
> visit the highest point in every county (maybe trig point bagging
> isn't that silly) we were at the highest point in surrey sitting on a
> bench next to the tower (TQ 13935 43186) looked down and there at my
> feet , carved in to a rough block of stone was a triangle with a indent
> in the middle, which looked very similar to the symbols on the OS maps
> for a trig points.
>
> Coming from a background of trig points being square pillars of
> concrete about 4ft, this is something strange, does anyone know about
> this carved thing, is it really a trig point? Does anyone know of any
> others like this (not that I am going to check them out!)
>
> Please see a pic of this on our website (scroll down the page):
> http://www.wheresthepath.com/county_tops/ct_surrey.htm
>
> Many Thanks
>
> James
> e-mail: queries(a)wheresthepath.com

On 13 Jun 2005 05:13:33 -0700, "WheresThePath.com"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Coming from a background of trig points being square pillars of
>concrete about 4ft, this is something strange, does anyone know about
>this carved thing, is it really a trig point?

There are ground-level trig points such as the one on Branstree, here
partly concealed by snow and a cairn:
http://www.geocities.com/paulrooney2003/BranstreeTrig.jpg

"I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone

In article <[email protected]>,
WheresThePath.com <[email protected]> writes
>Before I go any further I'd like to point out that I am not a trig
>point bagger, despite what some other people think, (frankly I have
>better things to do than visit concrete pillars) however it's nice
>when you climb a hill to find something at the top whether it be a
>tower, trig point or cairn just to mark the top, and in the case of
>towers it's a good reason to climb up the hill in the first place
>(however the fact that the hill is there is a good enough reason for
>me!)
>
>The reason for my posting is that when out on our continuing quest to
>visit the highest point in every county (maybe trig point bagging
>isn't that silly) we were at the highest point in surrey sitting on a
>bench next to the tower (TQ 13935 43186) looked down and there at my
>feet , carved in to a rough block of stone was a triangle with a indent
>in the middle, which looked very similar to the symbols on the OS maps
>for a trig points.
>
>Coming from a background of trig points being square pillars of
>concrete about 4ft, this is something strange, does anyone know about
>this carved thing, is it really a trig point? Does anyone know of any
>others like this (not that I am going to check them out!)
>
>Please see a pic of this on our website (scroll down the page):
>http://www.wheresthepath.com/county_tops/ct_surrey.htm
>
>Many Thanks
>
>James
>e-mail: queries(a)wheresthepath.com

A n O S Bench mark. It would have been surveyed an its height recorded.
If you look ion the OS map it should be there with its height.

These marks / \ usually have a horizontal line beneath which is the
level
/ | \

point, and can be see on walls and buildings wherever the OS wants a
reference level.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, Rooney
<[email protected]> writes

Now /that/is a **** photo :)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 13:58:16 +0100, "W. D. Grey"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Rooney
><[email protected]> writes
>>On 13 Jun 2005 05:13:33 -0700, "WheresThePath.com"
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Coming from a background of trig points being square pillars of
>>>concrete about 4ft, this is something strange, does anyone know about
>>>this carved thing, is it really a trig point?

>>There are ground-level trig points such as the one on Branstree, here
>>partly concealed by snow and a cairn:
>>http://www.geocities.com/paulrooney2003/BranstreeTrig.jpg

>Now /that/is a **** photo :)

Ha ha! I have to agree!

"I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone