Stoned cabbies

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pete Biggs, Jan 29, 2003.

  1. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Watch out for minicab drivers off their boxes around the North Finchley area in London.

    One nearly ran into me late tonight. I was cycling uphill along a quiet lit main-ish road. Car
    approaches a t-junction ahead of me from a side road. Seems like the driver's seen me because he
    brakes to a dead-slow crawl and lingers for some time (no other traffic about).

    Just as I go past (a few feet out into the lane, with lights and bright yellow jacket), he puts his
    foot down and almost hits me. I was going far to slow to dodge or accelerate out the way and
    instinctively braked. So there I am with my hand on his bonnet. I yell at him of course, but get no
    response. Nothing. Not apologetic, not angry - his face and body language was totally blank.

    I suppose I should have taken his number, but shaken, I was more interested in self-preservation at
    the time and just moved off (after a bit more yelling). I did have a witness (another cyclist
    behind me).

    I'm told minicab drivers regularly drive under the influence of drugs in this area. After my
    experience tonight, I can believe it!

    ~PB

    Tags:

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > Watch out for minicab drivers off their boxes around the North Finchley area in London.
    >
    > One nearly ran into me late tonight. I was cycling uphill along a quiet lit main-ish road. Car
    > approaches a t-junction ahead of me from a side road. Seems like the driver's seen me because he
    > brakes to a dead-slow crawl and lingers for some time (no other traffic about).
    >
    > Just as I go past (a few feet out into the lane, with lights and bright yellow jacket), he puts
    > his foot down and almost hits me. I was going far to slow to dodge or accelerate out the way and
    > instinctively braked. So there I am with my hand on his bonnet. I yell at him of course, but get
    > no response. Nothing. Not apologetic, not angry - his face and body language was totally blank.
    >
    > I suppose I should have taken his number, but shaken, I was more interested in self-preservation
    > at the time and just moved off (after a bit more yelling). I did have a witness (another cyclist
    > behind me).
    >
    > I'm told minicab drivers regularly drive under the influence of drugs in this area. After my
    > experience tonight, I can believe it!
    >
    > ~PB

    Judging by the amount of 'youth' involved with da evil weed, I'd suggest it isn't just the cabbies
    out there. Keep your eyes peeled folks! Dave.

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > Watch out for minicab drivers off their boxes around the North Finchley area in London.
    >
    > One nearly ran into me late tonight. I was cycling uphill along a quiet lit main-ish road. Car
    > approaches a t-junction ahead of me from a side road. Seems like the driver's seen me because he
    > brakes to a dead-slow crawl and lingers for some time (no other traffic about).
    >
    > Just as I go past (a few feet out into the lane, with lights and bright yellow jacket), he puts
    > his foot down and almost hits me. I was going far to slow to dodge or accelerate out the way and
    > instinctively braked. So there I am with my hand on his bonnet. I yell at him of course, but get
    > no response. Nothing. Not apologetic, not angry - his face and body language was totally blank.
    >
    > I suppose I should have taken his number, but shaken, I was more interested in self-preservation
    > at the time and just moved off (after a bit more yelling). I did have a witness (another cyclist
    > behind me).
    >
    > I'm told minicab drivers regularly drive under the influence of drugs in this area. After my
    > experience tonight, I can believe it!
    >
    > ~PB

    p.s. Glad to hear you survived ok, Pete. ;-)