Stoned cabbies

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pete Biggs

Watch out for minicab drivers off their boxes around the North Finchley area in London.

One nearly ran into me late tonight. I was cycling uphill along a quiet lit main-ish road. Car
approaches a t-junction ahead of me from a side road. Seems like the driver's seen me because he
brakes to a dead-slow crawl and lingers for some time (no other traffic about).

Just as I go past (a few feet out into the lane, with lights and bright yellow jacket), he puts his
foot down and almost hits me. I was going far to slow to dodge or accelerate out the way and
instinctively braked. So there I am with my hand on his bonnet. I yell at him of course, but get no
response. Nothing. Not apologetic, not angry - his face and body language was totally blank.

I suppose I should have taken his number, but shaken, I was more interested in self-preservation at
the time and just moved off (after a bit more yelling). I did have a witness (another cyclist
behind me).

I'm told minicab drivers regularly drive under the influence of drugs in this area. After my
experience tonight, I can believe it!

~PB

"Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> Watch out for minicab drivers off their boxes around the North Finchley area in London.
>
> One nearly ran into me late tonight. I was cycling uphill along a quiet lit main-ish road. Car
> approaches a t-junction ahead of me from a side road. Seems like the driver's seen me because he
> brakes to a dead-slow crawl and lingers for some time (no other traffic about).
>
> Just as I go past (a few feet out into the lane, with lights and bright yellow jacket), he puts
> his foot down and almost hits me. I was going far to slow to dodge or accelerate out the way and
> instinctively braked. So there I am with my hand on his bonnet. I yell at him of course, but get
> no response. Nothing. Not apologetic, not angry - his face and body language was totally blank.
>
> I suppose I should have taken his number, but shaken, I was more interested in self-preservation
> at the time and just moved off (after a bit more yelling). I did have a witness (another cyclist
> behind me).
>
> I'm told minicab drivers regularly drive under the influence of drugs in this area. After my
> experience tonight, I can believe it!
>
> ~PB
>
>
>
Judging by the amount of 'youth' involved with da evil weed, I'd suggest it isn't just the cabbies
out there. Keep your eyes peeled folks! Dave.

"Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> Watch out for minicab drivers off their boxes around the North Finchley area in London.
>
> One nearly ran into me late tonight. I was cycling uphill along a quiet lit main-ish road. Car
> approaches a t-junction ahead of me from a side road. Seems like the driver's seen me because he
> brakes to a dead-slow crawl and lingers for some time (no other traffic about).
>
> Just as I go past (a few feet out into the lane, with lights and bright yellow jacket), he puts
> his foot down and almost hits me. I was going far to slow to dodge or accelerate out the way and
> instinctively braked. So there I am with my hand on his bonnet. I yell at him of course, but get
> no response. Nothing. Not apologetic, not angry - his face and body language was totally blank.
>
> I suppose I should have taken his number, but shaken, I was more interested in self-preservation
> at the time and just moved off (after a bit more yelling). I did have a witness (another cyclist
> behind me).
>
> I'm told minicab drivers regularly drive under the influence of drugs in this area. After my
> experience tonight, I can believe it!
>
> ~PB
>
p.s. Glad to hear you survived ok, Pete. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.