Stoopid competition question of the week

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony Raven, Jan 27, 2005.

  1. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tags:

  2. Getronics Wang wrote:

    > There's a black box mounted on a bike in the latest edition of _cycle_. I
    > think it's a light.

    And it's truly hideous.

  3. soup

    soup Guest

    Tony Raven popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and
    said
    > http://www.five.tv/accessibility/programmes/gadgetshow/
    >
    > Black boxes are most famous for being used on which form of
    > transport? Is it
    >
    > a. Aeroplanes
    > b. Trams
    > c. Bicycles

    Second most stupid question is, what colour are black boxes? <eg>
    No it's not black.

    --
    yours S

  4. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Getronics Wang wrote:
    >
    > > There's a black box mounted on a bike in the latest edition of _cycle_.

    > > think it's a light.

    > And it's truly hideous.

    It's not just me who thinks so then.
    It looks like a standard die-cast box available from the likes of RS and
    Farnell with a few basic mods. The kind of thing I'd make in my garage and
    only take it out when it's dark. Doh, it_is_a_light! ;-)

    Pete

  5. Chris Jones

    Chris Jones Guest

    Peter B wrote:
    > "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Getronics Wang wrote:
    >> > There's a black box mounted on a bike in the latest edition of _cycle_.
    >> > I think it's a light.

    >> And it's truly hideous.

    > It's not just me who thinks so then.

    Tsk! It's a product designed to work well, not be photogenic ;-) Form
    has followed function. But then, I'm biased.

    Chris

  6. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 28/1/05 1:53 pm, in article [email protected], "Chris Jones"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Peter B wrote:
    >> "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>>
    >>> And it's truly hideous.

    >> It's not just me who thinks so then.

    > Tsk! It's a product designed to work well, not be photogenic ;-) Form
    > has followed function. But then, I'm biased.

    You can't see it when you use it anyway because it is dark. And you wouldn't
    want the extra weight when it isn't dark so you wouldn't see it then either.
    What's the problem with what it looks like?

    ...d

  7. Chris Jones

    Chris Jones Guest

    David Martin wrote:
    > You can't see it when you use it anyway because it is dark. And you wouldn't
    > want the extra weight when it isn't dark so you wouldn't see it then either.
    > What's the problem with what it looks like?

    Hear hear. It's an interesting bit of design psychology. Show someone a
    photo of one and they say, "Ugh, square box". Give them one to hold and
    use and they say, "Ooh, feels rugged and expensive, can I buy one
    please?". Tricky dilemma.

    Chris

  8. In article <BE1FF8C3.8520%[email protected]>, David Martin wrote:
    >On 28/1/05 1:53 pm, in article [email protected], "Chris Jones"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Peter B wrote:
    >>> "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]

    >>> It's not just me who thinks so then.

    >> Tsk! It's a product designed to work well, not be photogenic ;-) Form
    >> has followed function. But then, I'm biased.

    >You can't see it when you use it anyway because it is dark. And you wouldn't
    >want the extra weight when it isn't dark so you wouldn't see it then either.

    Unless you were using a dynamo version and you like having lights permanently
    attached night and day, as many of the local dynamo hub enthusiasts seem to.
    At 108g weight and 120 pounds price (for the non-dynamo version) of the smaller
    light unit, I'm not sure weight is the main reason for taking it off when you
    aren't using it (at least for commuting - racers are rather less likely to
    want a dynohub).

    Chris, how is the dynamo version development going? (My current plan is to
    use the lights I currently have for cycling home from the station this spring,
    summer, and have a dynamo hub for next autumn. Ed's supposed to be looking into
    the possibility of an IR76 scheme covering lights etc. for work.)

  9. Chris Jones

    Chris Jones Guest

    Alan Braggins wrote:
    > Chris, how is the dynamo version development going? (My current plan is to
    > use the lights I currently have for cycling home from the station this spring,
    > summer, and have a dynamo hub for next autumn. Ed's supposed to be looking into
    > the possibility of an IR76 scheme covering lights etc. for work.)

    Dynamo version electronics are well sorted. I just need to get the
    metalwork made up, so it'll be Real Soon Now!

    Chris

  10. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Chris Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Tsk! It's a product designed to work well, not be photogenic ;-) Form
    > has followed function. But then, I'm biased.

    I know from close proximity how much time, effort and money goes into
    designing, having moulds made and prototypes moulded of something
    originally conceived in a die-cast box to improve on its form. Frightening!
    I do feel however that to appeal to anything more than an informed niche
    market form must come to the fore, there again if the informed niche market
    is of adequate size.......but I could be trying to teach my grandmother how
    to suck eggs.
    Good luck Chris.

    Regards,
    Pete

  11. Chris Jones

    Chris Jones Guest

    Peter B wrote:
    > I know from close proximity how much time, effort and money goes into
    > designing, having moulds made and prototypes moulded of something
    > originally conceived in a die-cast box to improve on its form. Frightening!
    > I do feel however that to appeal to anything more than an informed niche
    > market form must come to the fore, there again if the informed niche market
    > is of adequate size.......but I could be trying to teach my grandmother how
    > to suck eggs.
    > Good luck Chris.

    Thanks! Believe it or not, the Solidlights casing is entirely
    custom-made (all the critical details are on the inside). At the stage
    in the project when it was time to commit to something, versatility was
    paramount - the ability to accept different lenses, connectors,
    electronics, and so on. If I'd known then what I know now, it would have
    been different. 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing! This is, by no
    means, the end of the story, though.

    Chris

  12. Chris Jones wrote:
    > Alan Braggins wrote:
    >> Chris, how is the dynamo version development going? (My current plan
    >> is to use the lights I currently have for cycling home from the station
    >> this spring, go back to cycling the whole way to and from work at
    >> least sometimes in the summer, and have a dynamo hub for next
    >> autumn. Ed's supposed to be looking into the possibility of an IR76
    >> scheme covering lights etc. for work.)

    > Dynamo version electronics are well sorted. I just need to get the
    > metalwork made up, so it'll be Real Soon Now!

    Will it include a standlight?

  13. Chris Jones

    Chris Jones Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    > Chris Jones wrote:
    >> Dynamo version electronics are well sorted. I just need to get the
    >> metalwork made up, so it'll be Real Soon Now!
    >>

    > Will it include a standlight?

    Yes, it does.

    Chris

  14. Rich

    Rich Guest

    > http://www.five.tv/accessibility/programmes/gadgetshow/
    >
    > Black boxes are most famous for being used on which form of transport? Is
    > it
    >
    > a. Aeroplanes
    > b. Trams
    > c. Bicycles
    >
    > Derrrr.....!

    Even stoopider in today's Times was the question (which I'm repeating from
    memory so the wording may not be exact): If you had to put house numbers on
    a row of houses numbered from 1 to 100, and given that sixes and nines are
    interchangeable, which is it cheaper to buy, sixes or nines?

    The answer given was correct (it doesn't matter) but not for the right
    reason. It was claimed that it didn't matter, because there are the same
    number of sixes and nines between 1-100.

    The author of the column seems to miss the point that it doesn't matter
    which you buy, you'll be buying the same amount.

  15. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Chris Jones wrote:
    > Dynamo version electronics are well sorted. I just need to get the
    > metalwork made up, so it'll be Real Soon Now!

    That's quite an exciting prospect. The only problem (for me) is that I
    really want my dynamo light to comply with the lighting regs for a
    mandatory front light. What are the chances that it will?

    The only regulation I can think of that's likely to be a problem is the
    requirement for a BS kitemark or equivalent. Do you know if the dynamo
    light would stand a chance of qualifying for a kitemark, if submitted
    for testing? Have you looked into the possibility of getting it tested?

    I'd hazard a guess that it would cost money to get something tested for
    BS, and that the difference it would make to the size of your market
    might not make it worth getting them tested. But it might be worth a
    look: <URL:http://www.bsi-global.com/>

    BTW, have you thought about putting <URL:http://www.solidlights.co.uk/>
    in your signature?

  16. Chris Jones

    Chris Jones Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    >> Dynamo version electronics are well sorted. I just need to get the
    >> metalwork made up, so it'll be Real Soon Now!

    > That's quite an exciting prospect. The only problem (for me) is that I
    > really want my dynamo light to comply with the lighting regs for a
    > mandatory front light. What are the chances that it will?
    >
    > The only regulation I can think of that's likely to be a problem is the
    > requirement for a BS kitemark or equivalent. Do you know if the dynamo
    > light would stand a chance of qualifying for a kitemark, if submitted
    > for testing? Have you looked into the possibility of getting it tested?

    I'm fairly confident that the light meets the technical requirements of
    BS6102 Part 3, but I have to admit to not having looked into the costs
    of testing. The requirements of the standard include various things
    which look like they'd be fairly involved, or at least time-consuming,
    to test for. It is, as so many things are, on my to-do list.

    > BTW, have you thought about putting <URL:http://www.solidlights.co.uk/>
    > in your signature?

    I have it in my email signature but I'm aware that, on Usenet at least,
    I'm treading a fine line between information and advertising. Thanks for
    the plug, though :)

    Chris

  17. Chris Jones wrote:
    > Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    >> Chris Jones wrote:
    >>> Dynamo version electronics are well sorted. I just need to get the
    >>> metalwork made up, so it'll be Real Soon Now!
    >>>

    >> Will it include a standlight?

    > Yes, it does.

    Drool. Count me interested but probably a little poor.

    Any idea about security? I've rarely had a second thought about leaving a
    B&M dynamo light on the bike, but the current solid light models look as if
    it's a bit more obvious that they could be unbolted from the bike.

  18. Chris Jones

    Chris Jones Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    > Chris Jones wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> Will it include a standlight?

    >> Yes, it does.
    >>

    > Drool. Count me interested but probably a little poor.
    >
    > Any idea about security? I've rarely had a second thought about leaving a
    > B&M dynamo light on the bike, but the current solid light models look as if
    > it's a bit more obvious that they could be unbolted from the bike.

    The Solidlights unit fixes to more or less anything via an M4 screw in
    the base. At the moment the only brackets I'm actually selling are the
    quick-release handlebar mount and the helmet mount, but a fork crown
    mounting bracket is a requirement for most dynamo use. I know it can be
    done with off-the-shelf parts, so I'm trying to pin down what works
    best. The nice thing about fork crown mounting is that, with a wheel
    and/or mudguard in place, the lamp mounting screw is mostly inaccessible.

    Chris

  19. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Chris Jones wrote:
    > The nice thing about fork crown mounting is that, with a wheel
    > and/or mudguard in place, the lamp mounting screw is mostly inaccessible.

    But given the value of the lamps would you really want to leave them on
    the bike when you leave it locked up?

    Tony