Stop At Red - Make Your Pledge

rocko

Feb 18, 2004
Saw this site online

http://www.stopatred.org

go online and make your pledge. Every driver I know who moans about cyclists complains about them running red lights. If we want to be treated with respect we have to respect the road rules. Cars are the real danger and drivers often act like idiots but we don't have to follow their lead.

Sermon over!

always have stopped at reds, much to the chagrin of my training buddies. its good training for standing starts on the track :)

in my experience its the riders on cheaper bikes that run reds more than the serious commuters/racers, and they usually dont have a helmet on either, double stupidity.

running red lights is a personal bugbear of mine after an elderly "lady" in a volvo decided i'd make a nice hood ornament

stop lights and signs are useful primarily for preventing those driving in cars from crashing into each other, do not think as cyclists we will pledge to lose precious momentum just to make a good impression, in fact, if they see us blow through a few this may lead to a begrudging kind of respect as well.

as for group rides, we roll when we roll.

for safety look both ways out there...it is good for the neck musculature too.

we will see now if the sermon is indeed over...

rocko said:
Saw this site online

go online and make your pledge. Every driver I know who moans about cyclists complains about them running red lights. If we want to be treated with respect we have to respect the road rules. Cars are the real danger and drivers often act like idiots but we don't have to follow their lead.

Sermon over!

Hypnospin said:
stop lights and signs are useful primarily for preventing those driving in cars from crashing into each other, do not think as cyclists we will pledge to lose precious momentum just to make a good impression, in fact, if they see us blow through a few this may lead to a begrudging kind of respect as well.

Another primary point, is the establish right of way at the crossroads, and another is to establish fair use of the intersection involved. Performing a "blow through" shows that you have no consideration for other road users, you are not fully performing a duty of care as a road user yourself, and flat out ignoring a traffic directive.

parawolf said:
Another primary point, is the establish right of way at the crossroads, and another is to establish fair use of the intersection involved. Performing a "blow through" shows that you have no consideration for other road users, you are not fully performing a duty of care as a road user yourself, and flat out ignoring a traffic directive.
You neglected that he is also being an irresponsible idiot. To hell with your "precious momentum." Poetic justice for cyclists like this is to end up with an unwanted piece of paper given to you by the local constabulatory.

Riders like this make me sick to my stomach, but threads like this always bring out the reckless and foolish.

Hang on a minute!

In some places lights don't sense bikes, so in order to get across you have to do it against a red.

I don't think red lights are the reason drivers don't give respect. The disrespectful ones just want an excuse for their bullying. If every cyclist stopped on every red then these sh1t5 would not change there driving behaviour in the slightest.

These are the same people who want bikes on footpaths, registration charges, banning from arterial roads... you name it. Anything to make them go away.

Waste of time.

so we see some are aware this red light heresy is not always idiocy.

the light may come on for some now...as cars and the competency of those driving can indeed be the biggest prob faced if they be cyclists.

rohloff_chips said:
Hang on a minute!

In some places lights don't sense bikes, so in order to get across you have to do it against a red.

I don't think red lights are the reason drivers don't give respect. The disrespectful ones just want an excuse for their bullying. If every cyclist stopped on every red then these sh1t5 would not change there driving behaviour in the slightest.

These are the same people who want bikes on footpaths, registration charges, banning from arterial roads... you name it. Anything to make them go away.

Waste of time.

Yesterday I was out on a local loop called the "booty" loop doing an easy recovery ride. Some rec rider was slightly ahead of me and he looked back and saw me and thought I was trying to chase him down and we came to a red traffic light and he was still going and I stopped but he just rode right through the red light across a 4-lane intersection on a busy road, for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

I've always stopped at both reds and signs but signed the pledge anyways...I also side motorcycles aswell as bikes and there are just too many cagers that are clueless to the rules of the rode to trust them with my life.

rocko said:
Saw this site online

Sermon over!

much depends on what red lights we are talking about : on the road that I live are 2 traffic control lights and between them are 8 pedestrian crossing lights that work to sequence whether or not there is anybody waiting to cross . Now only a fool jumps a control light but to stop 4 or 5 times for no pedestrians in a km is a bad joke and I don´t know of anybody who will stop in this insane circumstance .

el Inglés said:
much depends on what red lights we are talking about : on the road that I live are 2 traffic control lights and between them are 8 pedestrian crossing lights that work to sequence whether or not there is anybody waiting to cross . Now only a fool jumps a control light but to stop 4 or 5 times for no pedestrians in a km is a bad joke and I don´t know of anybody who will stop in this insane circumstance .

Simple question, do the cars stop at these lights?

yes, compared to the cyclist, in direct proportion to the relative withering of their legs.

parawolf said:

Hypnospin said:

Your statement make it hard for cyclists to establish credibility with other road users when our credibility is already low.

If you do what you have stated (and are not just blowing hot air) you need to think of the consequences.

It is always very tempting to go thru especially if you have tried hard to get thru on the green and just missed it and don't want to break the rhythm.
And no cars are on the cross roads.
The worst thing is, if you have cars stopped next to you and they see you disregard the red and go thru, and it gives them a very bad opinion of us.
Tough call.

Hypnospin said:
yes, compared to the cyclist, in direct proportion to the relative withering of their legs.

Apart from the fact the question I posed was not addressed to you, withering of their legs does not come into it.

What is the right thing to do as a lawful road user. What is the lawful thing to do in regards to your potential safety.

If you are that tired that you do not want to come to a stop at a red light/stop sign, who is to say that you are not too tired to have mild tunnel vision and not notice a crossing vehicle. Who then deals with the psycological traumor that you have delivered to the driver and potential passengers, not to mention on lookers.

there is much to be tired of, true. this is why i support the concept of critical mass rides. give 'em something to think about, maybe the fact that they are driving a car does not make them the center of the universe, much less give license to impose their right of way by virtue of tonnage.

www.critical-mass.org

participation is your right, if not obligation as a cyclist.

parawolf said:
If you are that tired that you do not want to come to a stop at a red light/stop sign, .

Hypnospin said:
there is much to be tired of, true. this is why i support the concept of critical mass rides. give 'em something to think about, maybe the fact that they are driving a car does not make them the center of the universe, much less give license to impose their right of way by virtue of tonnage.

www.critical-mass.org

participation is your right, if not obligation as a cyclist.
Personal don't agree with the locations of the Critical mass protest but do agree with their sentiment.
I always stop at red lights not for the benefit of car drivers but for mine. When I was about 10 I witnessed a cyclist run a red light he never made it to the other side. He did perform a 3/4 sumersault and landed flat on his back in middle of the road the car had passed underneath in the mean time. It was amazing to see how high he went at least 3m and sound when he hit the road. I will never forget this sight and sound!!

parawolf said:

most don,t
yes I do when driving but then you only have to stop once because of the way the lights are sequenced .
nb in july and august there are pedestrians but not the rest of the year - this is a beach resort and a beach roadin a tourist resort on the unpopular side of town .

Hypnospin said:

This is about as ridiculous and moronic an answer as a cyclist could give to this question. "We roll when we roll", Gimme a break! How selfish and egocentric is that? It's this attitude that gives motorists a bad attitude toward all cyclsits and also gives them ammunition for their accusations that "all cyclists disobey traffic laws". Just plain stupid!

yeah, it is either this or find another ride...
there are others, but not of this level...

meehs said:
a cyclist could give to this question. "We roll when we roll", Gimme a break! QUOTE]