Stop At Red - Make Your Pledge

el Inglés said:
most don,t
yes I do when driving but then you only have to stop once because of the way the lights are sequenced .
nb in july and august there are pedestrians but not the rest of the year - this is a beach resort and a beach roadin a tourist resort on the unpopular side of town .

did I mention the five speed bumps ? in summer hell in winter a wasteland

I use common sense when riding in town, which I do often. I am a motorist as well as a cyclist. The police here in my city do not stop cyclists for anything as long as they are riding safely. I have never been stopped by them.

I stop at stop signs and lights when prudence calls for it. When it's not necessary, I don't. I'm not gonna be blowing blindly through any lights.

I believe that making a pledge like this one just opens a dialog that gives bike-hating motorists a forum to vent against us.

I've looked at past efforts by cycling organizations to gain the respect of government. They try earnestly to get governments to educate motorists, and it always comes back to bite us in the rear. The motorists put up such a row when governments go to them that the only thing that gets acheived is official rulings against cyclists.
No offence intended here, but I wouldn't give them the satisfaction.

Just my opinion, but from what I've seen of the critical mass activity near where I live, it does more harm than good. Oh, that will make them think, alright. They will think that all cyclists are just out to make trouble.

Whether I like motorists or not is irrelevant. I need them not to oppose spending tax dollars on cycling related projects, and not to take out their frustration with CM riders on me.

And I always stop on red. It's my way of letting the motorists around me know that I am riding in a responsible and predictable manner. The end goal is to remain alive to ride tomorrow.

Hypnospin said:
there is much to be tired of, true. this is why i support the concept of critical mass rides. give 'em something to think about, maybe the fact that they are driving a car does not make them the center of the universe, much less give license to impose their right of way by virtue of tonnage.

www.critical-mass.org

participation is your right, if not obligation as a cyclist.

Well said Hypno.....but I must admit I weigh the situation i.e. if I'm @ a "protected" intersection(no cars to my right) I blow through; if no one is around; I roll; If a lot of eyes on me I stop. But I like your Hutspah!!

thx, wh,
look both ways out there. and if you come to a stop sign or light where there are schoolkids gawking at you to see what you do, be an example for all that is cycling freedom and roll it with a nod.
just watch for cops...

wheelsuck80 said:
Well said Hypno.....but I must admit I weigh the situation i.e. if I'm @ a "protected" intersection(no cars to my right) I blow through; if no one is around; I roll; If a lot of eyes on me I stop. But I like your Hutspah!!